New to Carnival a few questions before I travel

russianmom

I am new to Carnival but this will be my 10th cruise. I have a few questions

1) I have quite a few food allergies... when I made the reservation the agent said just tell the waiter what the allergies are. That usually doesn't work well for me in land restaurants so I am wondering if anyone else with allergies has any feedback/ideas (I am an RN and carry an arsenal of medications just in case)

2) The Triumph has self serve laundry, correct? Is there detergent or do you bring a small container?

3) I see there is a charge to cork your personal bottle of wine in the dining room is there no charge if you open it/drink it in your room?

4) My most recent cruises were on NCL- no formal night. I'm wondering how formally people dress on Carnival and what do children wear? (Last "formal" cruise was w/o children, my husband wore a tux and I had a long evening gown)

5) They provide pool/beach towels correct?

6) Are there refrigerators in OV (6A) rooms?

Thanks in advance! I'm also open to any other tips, secrets or suggestions

2) The Triumph has self serve laundry, correct? Is there detergent or do you bring a small container? Yes they have self serve laundry. There is a machine that you can purchase detergent. But I like to carry the Purex 3 in 1 sheets. No worry about it leaking and you have detergent and fabric softener all in 1. Also the machines take quarters. You can get rolls of quarters at the pursers desk.

4) My most recent cruises were on NCL- no formal night. I'm wondering how formally people dress on Carnival and what do children wear? (Last "formal" cruise was w/o children, my husband wore a tux and I had a long evening gown) Some people get dressed up to the nines and others don't. You will feel comfortable if you decided to dress up because there will be others dressed up. If you decide to go a little more casual, there will also be people dressed similarly.

5) They provide pool/beach towels correct? They provide these towels in your room. Just remember to bring it back and your steward will replace it with a clean one. If you don't bring it back you will be charged for it.

6) Are there refrigerators in OV (6A) rooms? I think the refrigerators are only in the suites on this class of ships. They really don't keep things cold. We bring a collapsible cooler in our luggage and use that to keep things cold.

Check my answers above. I hope people will have answers to some of your other questions. We were on the Triumph in November 2010. Hope you enjoy it.

Sharon

1) I have quite a few food allergies... when I made the reservation the agent said just tell the waiter what the allergies are. That usually doesn't work well for me in land restaurants so I am wondering if anyone else with allergies has any feedback/ideas (I am an RN and carry an arsenal of medications just in case) Call the special needs department and tell them your allergies....someone will come to your table every night and go over the next days menu to help you make your selections and even modify the ingredients and cooking methods on some dishes.

2) The Triumph has self serve laundry, correct? Is there detergent or do you bring a small container? You can purchase powder detergent and liquid softener from a coin dispenser, but I bring the Purell 3n1 sheets and some bounce dryer sheets.

3) I see there is a charge to cork your personal bottle of wine in the dining room is there no charge if you open it/drink it in your room? There is no charge in your room and there is rarely a charge even in the MDR. In your cabin your room steward can bring out a cork screw.

4) My most recent cruises were on NCL- no formal night. I'm wondering how formally people dress on Carnival and what do children wear? (Last "formal" cruise was w/o children, my husband wore a tux and I had a long evening gown) Men wear mostly slacks/shirts/tie and maybe a sportcoat. A few wear suits and even fewer wear a tux but you do see them. Women wear everything from evening gowns to cocktail dresses to slacks/sparkly tops and some wear just Sunday best type stuff. Boys will wear just khakis and a collared shirt sometimes with a tie, and most girls will wear Easter Sunday type dresses.

5) They provide pool/beach towels correct? Yes you can check them out at the pool or bring the blue ones from your cabin to the pool or on shore excursions, but if you don't return them to the room you get charged like $25 per towel

6) Are there refrigerators in OV (6A) rooms? It been a long time since I've been on a Triumph class ship but I'm thinking that they don't have refriderators just a minibar type set up. You can look on Carnival.com for better details.

I always get to the pier around 10:30. They say wait until 12, but in reality as soon as the ship has been cleared they start boarding Handicap guests, then Wedding Parties then VIP and general zone boarding usually starts around 11:45.

Have fun and welcome to Carnival.

Here's what carnival says regarding food allergies~

Dietary requests, food allergies, gluten free diets, vegans, vegetarians, etc., are not considered special needs. Most simple diet requirements can be accommodated on board. We do not have Dieticians on board; therefore, we can only offer assistance with simple requests such as the method of preparation of menu items. The diet requirements need to be arranged with the guest's Head Waiter on the first night of the cruise.

Name: Launderettes

Location: Riviera Deck 1 - midship / across from 1351 and 1353

Main Deck 2 - midship / across from 2365 and 2367

Upper Deck 6 - midship / across from 6389 and 6391

Empress Deck 7 - midship / across from 7339 and 7341

Verandah Deck 8 - midship / across from 8349 and 8351

Lido Deck 9 - midship / across from 9268 and 9270

Hours: hours posted on the door to the Laundry

Function: Self-Service Launderette

* 2 or 3 washers

* 2 or 3 dryers

* 1 iron and ironing board

* Vending machines dispense small boxes of detergent and water softener

1) I have quite a few food allergies... when I made the reservation the agent said just tell the waiter what the allergies are. That usually doesn't work well for me in land restaurants so I am wondering if anyone else with allergies has any feedback/ideas (I am an RN and carry an arsenal of medications just in case)

2) The Triumph has self serve laundry, correct? Is there detergent or do you bring a small container?

3) I see there is a charge to cork your personal bottle of wine in the dining room is there no charge if you open it/drink it in your room?

4) My most recent cruises were on NCL- no formal night. I'm wondering how formally people dress on Carnival and what do children wear? (Last "formal" cruise was w/o children, my husband wore a tux and I had a long evening gown)

5) They provide pool/beach towels correct?

6) Are there refrigerators in OV (6A) rooms?

(1) Not sure about this but I would recommand speaking to the md on the first day before dinner.

(2) yes and yes

(3)No charge if you open it in your cabin but I do believe you're not allowed to bring a corkscrew on board.

(4) Slacks and a nice shirt will be ok for the kids.

(5) Yes

(6) No not in any of Triumph's staterooms.Bring a small cooler they will keep ice in it for you.

1) I have quite a few food allergies... when I made the reservation the agent said just tell the waiter what the allergies are. That usually doesn't work well for me in land restaurants so I am wondering if anyone else with allergies has any feedback/ideas (I am an RN and carry an arsenal of medications just in case)Not real sure, I would assume you would tell them before and also remind the waiter in the MDR??

2) The Triumph has self serve laundry, correct? Is there detergent or do you bring a small container? Yes, they do have self serve laundry. I do believe you can buy detergent on the ship!! I always bring my own detergent in a small plastic travel bottle:)

3) I see there is a charge to cork your personal bottle of wine in the dining room is there no charge if you open it/drink it in your room? I have took wine into the MDR, and have never been charged a corking fee... (all 3 times we sailed on the Triumph) I guess it all depends on your waiter!! I also opened mine in my room and enjoyed on my balcony at night!! Never had a charge!!

4) My most recent cruises were on NCL- no formal night. I'm wondering how formally people dress on Carnival and what do children wear? (Last "formal" cruise was w/o children, my husband wore a tux and I had a long evening gown) Some people will dress up to the T, other not so much...It just depends on how much you want to dress up or down. I enjoy dressing up on elegant night!! It's so much fun:) I do usually change shoes after we take photos and dinner!! Just easier to walk around on a moving ship!!

5) They provide pool/beach towels correct? Yes, they do provide pool/beach towels!!

6) Are there refrigerators in OV (6A) rooms? Not sure, I know some rooms do have them. I have always sailed in a 8D balcony and never had a refrigerator:( We always brought a cooler and room stewart kept it filled with ice. We made sure we tipped him the very first day of the cruise once we were introduced to him:) A little tipping in the beginning goes a long way!!

Check my answers above also!! I am sure everything will be fine, Hope you enjoy the cruise!! The Triumph is a wonderful ship!!

Here's what carnival says regarding food allergies~

Dietary requests, food allergies, gluten free diets, vegans, vegetarians, etc., are not considered special needs. Most simple diet requirements can be accommodated on board. We do not have Dieticians on board; therefore, we can only offer assistance with simple requests such as the method of preparation of menu items. The diet requirements need to be arranged with the guest's Head Waiter on the first night of the cruise.

Wow, that must be a recent change in policy because my friends have always contacted special needs and the MD or one of the hostesses has come to their table on the 1st night.

Wow, that must be a recent change in policy because my friends have always contacted special needs and the MD or one of the hostesses has come to their table on the 1st night.

Thanks to all who responded! This was a last minute trip with my cousin so we are making arrangements by the seat of our pants. Excited to try Carnival.

I thought it a bit strange as well as all other lines I have been on I have spoken/emailed w/ the special needs dept ahead of time then met w/ the MD upon boarding.

I am very careful but others are not as savvy and I have seen some real cross-contamination nightmares!!

I think I will seek out the MD as soon as we get on and see what happens:rolleyes:

I would definitely check with Maitre D when you board. My DF's husband has a peanut/pea allergy. Two different times when he ordered he asked if there were peas in the sauce and was told no. Twice he had to return his plate.

I have a walnut allergy and always ask about sauces and desserts. More than once my waiter had to go ask.

I am always extra careful.

Have a great time!

My sister is Gluten intolerant, we contacted Guest Services ahead of time and they had someone at our table the first night going over the next nights menu. They were awesome with it and she didn't have a bit of trouble.

Also remember mid cruise they will have a special, to fill a bag (they provide) with as much laundry as you can and they wash, dry and fold it and bring it back the next day. Can't remember if this is 15 or 20 bucks but it is totally worth it to us, you are on vacation. And from one nurse to another, I KNOW how hard you work when you're not on vacation!!!

Have an awesome time!!

Carole

I think you should defnitely contact special needs or guest services BEFORE you go - as mentioned you will be contacted once onboard and any allergy issues you have can be addressed!

You can definitely bring a corkscrew onboard- probably safer in your checked luggage.

I think all the other questions have been adequately answered!

Have a great cruise! :D

Make sure any Meds you bring are in the original bottles in your name or you have a copy of the script for them. Many may say Overly Cautious, but I believe better safe than sorry. Have a great cruise!!!

We have twice had folks with food allergies seated with us onboard Carnival ships. In each case, the waiter and at least a chef came by the first night to discuss the situation with the guest. Just be sure the culinary department is aware you need to discuss these issues.

Doc

PS: I have never, ever wasted space toting pill bottles around I use the little zipper bags known as pill pouches to dole out my daily ration.

Make sure any Meds you bring are in the original bottles in your name or you have a copy of the script for them. Many may say Overly Cautious, but I believe better safe than sorry. Have a great cruise!!!

We have twice had folks with food allergies seated with us onboard Carnival ships. In each case, the waiter and at least a chef came by the first night to discuss the situation with the guest. Just be sure the culinary department is aware you need to discuss these issues.

Doc

PS: I have never, ever wasted space toting pill bottles around I use the little zipper bags known as pill pouches to dole out my daily ration.

I am felling better about eating now thanks again for the prompt responses.:D

Thanks for the heads up. I carry 2 epi-pens, predinisone (rx bottle is very small) and A LOT of Benadryl!!!

Archived