Stingray Adenture on HMC or Gibbs Cay & Stingrays on Grand Turk?

ratherbcrzn75

Swimming with stingrays is on my bucketlist and I'm trying to decide between these 2 excursions. The Stingray Adventure at Half Moon Cay is only $24.95 vs. Gibbs Cay & Stingray on Grand Turk $59.95 because it includes some beach time and a beverage. My husband will be going with me on the excursion, but he doesn't want to swim (because of the guy from Australia:rolleyes:), so I was thinking $59.95 is kind of steep if he isn't going to actually participate. The $$ factor has me leaning toward the one on HMC because I was thinking you already get a beach day for free at Grand Turk anyway. Has anyone done both these excursions? Can you tell me if one is better than the other and I should absolutely book that one? TIA:):)

Thanks OP for asking the question, interested in what anyone has to say as I'm thinking of the HMC one too?! :)

You're welcome. I thought stingray excursions would be pretty popular, but I was having a hard time finding any recent threads on them. Hopefully we get an answer--I just don't want to cheat myself out of a better experience because I am being cheap (I am known to pinch a penny or 2 or sometimes even 3);)

On HMC the stingrays are in a pen in the lagoon.

We did the "Ultimate Snorkle" excursion on Grand Turk and had several stingrays swimming with us on the second stop. The guides from the dive boat had food for them and we were able to get very close, pet them etc. We also had a 6' barracuda come by and swim with us as well. Not to mention the hundreds of other fish we saw.

My understaning of the Gib's Cay excursion is that they also are "wild" stingrays free swimming in the ocean.

IMHO it was much better seeing them in their natural environment than by wading in a pen.

One other note, on our last trip to Grand Turk we were one of the first people to make it to the beach next to the cruise pier. We saw 5 or 6 stingrays just hanging out there. They were content to be there until the water had several dozen people swimming and splashing there. Later in the day we saw several in the water by Jack's Shack.

You may pay more for an excursion where you see the rays in nature, but it would be well worth it to me!

On HMC, if hubby doesn't want to participate, then he can stay right on the beach..no sense paying for something you won't do! You won't be that far away!

Thanks for the feedback--that's kind of why I was leaning toward HMC. We haven't been to either of these ports so I wasn't really sure.

On HMC the stingrays are in a pen in the lagoon.

We did the "Ultimate Snorkle" excursion on Grand Turk and had several stingrays swimming with us on the second stop. The guides from the dive boat had food for them and we were able to get very close, pet them etc. We also had a 6' barracuda come by and swim with us as well. Not to mention the hundreds of other fish we saw.

My understaning of the Gib's Cay excursion is that they also are "wild" stingrays free swimming in the ocean.

IMHO it was much better seeing them in their natural environment than by wading in a pen.

One other note, on our last trip to Grand Turk we were one of the first people to make it to the beach next to the cruise pier. We saw 5 or 6 stingrays just hanging out there. They were content to be there until the water had several dozen people swimming and splashing there. Later in the day we saw several in the water by Jack's Shack.

You may pay more for an excursion where you see the rays in nature, but it would be well worth it to me!

Thanks for much for the feedback. I'm not a really strong swimmer and haven't been snorkeling before. I'm thinking I might go with the HMC excursion even though they are in the enclosure. I'm thinking after I've snorkled and feel more comfortable in my abilities I can get DH to do this intinerary in the future and go to the one on Grand Turk. And maybe I can get my chicken-hearted DH to do it with me that time (he is the one who used to be a lifeguard and give swim lessons--not sure why he's scared of a few stingrays).;)

Just got back from Grand Turk on Sunday. We did Gibbs Cay (and Ultimate Snorkel). Both Stingray excursions at Grand Turk (Gibbs Cay, and Reefs & Rays) go to the same place. They beach the boats about 50 yards apart. You don't actually "swim" with the rays, you shuffle (so you don't step onto any rays) out into the water, where it is about 2'-3' deep. The rays will be swimming all around your feet and legs, and all the young girls will be screeching and jumping every time one bumps them. The guide will show you how to feed them, and he will assist you in holding one for a minute or two, depending on how many people there are in the group. He will then let you "kiss" the ray, and get a "massage" from the ray. I held it, but passed on the other two. After that, the guide will lead you on a big circle swim around the area. This part is not for weak swimmers, and he moves right along. We left about half our group behind, not sure if it was because they just didn't want to swim, or couldn't keep up, or some of each. I know DW got left behind. Some coral, some fish, a lot of swimming. If you want to see fish and coral, do Ultimate Snorkel (more on that in a moment). After the swim, he showed us how to clean a Conch, and those who want can taste it (rather bland and rubbery, kind of like a cross between a clam and crab, with less flavor; probably a lot tastier steamed and dipped in lemon butter). Of our 3 snorkel excursions, I'd rate it #3. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as much as it could have been. Aside from the swim around the area, it was pretty tame, but the rays were kind of neat.

The big difference between Gibbs Cay and the HMC excursion is that the Gibbs Cay rays are in the open ocean. HMC they are kept in a fenced in pen, in the lagoon. Between the two, Gibbs Cay is better. Overall however, Ultimate Snorkel beats them hands down. We have done that twice, and I would do it again. We did not see any rays, but we did actually swim with a barracuda, and a shark, on a much nicer reef, with a lot more coral and fish to see. Pictures to be posted soon, and I will try to remember to come back and post a link.

Just got back from Grand Turk on Sunday. We did Gibbs Cay (and Ultimate Snorkel). Both Stingray excursions at Grand Turk (Gibbs Cay, and Reefs & Rays) go to the same place. They beach the boats about 50 yards apart. You don't actually "swim" with the rays, you shuffle (so you don't step onto any rays) out into the water, where it is about 2'-3' deep. The rays will be swimming all around your feet and legs, and all the young girls will be screeching and jumping every time one bumps them. The guide will show you how to feed them, and he will assist you in holding one for a minute or two, depending on how many people there are in the group. He will then let you "kiss" the ray, and get a "massage" from the ray. I held it, but passed on the other two. After that, the guide will lead you on a big circle swim around the area. This part is not for weak swimmers, and he moves right along. We left about half our group behind, not sure if it was because they just didn't want to swim, or couldn't keep up, or some of each. I know DW got left behind. Some coral, some fish, a lot of swimming. If you want to see fish and coral, do Ultimate Snorkel (more on that in a moment). After the swim, he showed us how to clean a Conch, and those who want can taste it (rather bland and rubbery, kind of like a cross between a clam and crab, with less flavor; probably a lot tastier steamed and dipped in lemon butter). Of our 3 snorkel excursions, I'd rate it #3. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as much as it could have been. Aside from the swim around the area, it was pretty tame, but the rays were kind of neat.

The big difference between Gibbs Cay and the HMC excursion is that the Gibbs Cay rays are in the open ocean. HMC they are kept in a fenced in pen, in the lagoon. Between the two, Gibbs Cay is better. Overall however, Ultimate Snorkel beats them hands down. We have done that twice, and I would do it again. We did not see any rays, but we did actually swim with a barracuda, and a shark, on a much nicer reef, with a lot more coral and fish to see. Pictures to be posted soon, and I will try to remember to come back and post a link.

Thanks for the review! It's great to hear from someone who has done both:)

Archived