RCI And The Thin Blue Line

I am right there with you...however I think they see it as "politically correct". But I agree....why not teachers...why not social workers....why not sanitation...ect...ect...ect..

I think they give modest discounts as a small thank you to those folks that often (and willingly) put themselves in harms way to help others. It has nothing at all to do with the cruise lines needing more security, medical personnel or help fighting fires. The teacher, the social worker and the garbage man won't be running into your house and pulling you out if it's on fire. Nor will they be coming to help you if there is a burglar in your living room at 3 am.

I think they give modest discounts as a small thank you to those folks that often (and willingly) put themselves in harms way to help others. It has nothing at all to do with the cruise lines needing more security, medical personnel or help fighting fires. The teacher, the social worker and the garbage man won't be running into your house and pulling you out if it's on fire. Nor will they be coming to help you if there is a burglar in your living room at 3 am.

Well said, My thoughts exactly.

What about EMT's? Their presence could provide a valuable service to the ship. ... then again Police and Fire are also trained as first responder in a medical emergency....All of them could be an asset to you on the ship... sure they deserve a discount... nothing huge, but I don't mind seeing them there.

There are also Clergy discounts I've heard of, and they usually hold a non-denominational service while on board... once again nothing huge, but I don't see a discount as a bad thing.

I am open to someone proving me wrong, but I believe that if the cruiseline wants clergy onboard on a specific cruise, the cruise is free for the clergyman/woman.

There is a whole website where clergy can sign up.

Nor will they be coming to help you if there is a burglar in your living room at 3 am.

But we will! Armed Security.

We don't earn very much at all, I wish we could get a discount.

I was hoping as a qualified Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, that I might, maybe one day.

We do get a Law Enforcement discount on firearm purchases though.

As a former EMT , 9-1-1 dispatcher for 27 years , and a the son of a firefighter who served 34 years . I say thank you for your words . You said it just right.

To the people that gripe about cops and firemans salaries and pensions .....nobody stopped you from taking the test , nobody stopped you from getting on the job. Nobody stopped you from taking all the risks.

As a former EMT , 9-1-1 dispatcher for 27 years , and a the son of a firefighter who served 34 years . I say thank you for your words . You said it just right.

To the people that gripe about cops and firemans salaries and pensions .....nobody stopped you from taking the test , nobody stopped you from getting on the job. Nobody stopped you from taking all the risks.

True, but just because you choose that job does not mean that you should get a discount over others. Statistically speaking, none of those jobs is even in the top ten of most dangerous.

I appreciate the job you and others do but you are no more entitled to a discount than anyone else.

True, but just because you choose that job does not mean that you should get a discount over others. Statistically speaking, none of those jobs is even in the top ten of most dangerous.

I appreciate the job you and others do but you are no more entitled to a discount than anyone else.

I am sure no one in emergency services has ever taken the job hoping for a discount for a cruise line. The cruise line itself offers it and I think that is very thoughtful of them.

There may be jobs that are more dangerous , but how many put the employee in danger for the sole purpose of saving innocent lives . (with the exception of our military)

The businesses we patron decide who is entitled to a discount and who isn't. It's their decision, not yours, and if a particular group of people is able to get a discounted rate, then good for them!!! I don't complain when North Dakota gets a discount instead of Florida or when 55+ gets a discount and us younger folks don't, nor should anyone else whine when someone else qualifies for a discount.

I am sure no one in emergency services has ever taken the job hoping for a discount for a cruise line. The cruise line itself offers it and I think that is very thoughtful of them.

There may be jobs that are more dangerous , but how many put the employee in danger for the sole purpose of saving innocent lives . (with the exception of our military)

Exactly!

There are lots of NYC city jobs that retire you at 50% based on the best 3 averaged out of the last 5 years....and you can just imagine how much they do in overtime for those last 5 years to boast the numbers:rolleyes:

I have friends who were city workers (NYC bus drivers and bridge workers) who were making close to and sometimes over 5 figures for the last 5 years with the overtime and now are retired at half that for the rest of there lives.

I do not see your point..........

This is what is called the middle class..:).. a serioulsy endangered group........these are the folk who buy products and services and take yearly vacations and support the US economy....these middle class folk are the ones who keep companies like RCI in business!!! It's a beauiful thing! GO ROYAL CARIBBEAN!

The problem with this kind of topic is that it quickly devolves into a "which occupation is more valuable or more worthy of discounts, or the level of pay" and that is a topic that is never going to be resolved satisfactorily. Are professional athletes worth the stupendous salaries that they receive? Should they be paid at a higher rate than teachers, police, fire,military or other professions? There are legitimate arguments in support of both positions and we will probably never arrive at a consensus. Trying to apply some sort of rational standard to wage levels for different jobs is pretty much a futile task.

RCI does a commendable job of offering discounts on many of its cruises but they are, after all, a "for profit" company and there is a limit as to how much they can do in this area before they jeopardize the corporation's financial well-being. Whether we agree with their decisions or not is pretty much irrelevant. Just as we would not agree to have a third party dictate to us how we handle our financial arrangements, which charities we will support and to what degree, perhaps we should let RCI and the other lines make those decisions. If those decisions seem extremely outrageous or unfair, we can always choose to do business with another line, but I don't think we have the right to determine how they should operate their business.

The problem with this kind of topic is that it quickly devolves into a "which occupation is more valuable or more worthy of discounts, or the level of pay" and that is a topic that is never going to be resolved satisfactorily. Are professional athletes worth the stupendous salaries that they receive? Should they be paid at a higher rate than teachers, police, fire,military or other professions? There are legitimate arguments in support of both positions and we will probably never arrive at a consensus. Trying to apply some sort of rational standard to wage levels for different jobs is pretty much a futile task.

RCI does a commendable job of offering discounts on many of its cruises but they are, after all, a "for profit" company and there is a limit as to how much they can do in this area before they jeopardize the corporation's financial well-being. Whether we agree with their decisions or not is pretty much irrelevant. Just as we would not agree to have a third party dictate to us how we handle our financial arrangements, which charities we will support and to what degree, perhaps we should let RCI and the other lines make those decisions. If those decisions seem extremely outrageous or unfair, we can always choose to do business with another line, but I don't think we have the right to determine how they should operate their business.

YEs Sir..........completely agree!!!!:)

There are discounts available for:

Age 55+

Guest over 55 may be eligible for exclusive rates. We want to make sure you receive the best price offer possible. A valid driver's license, state-issued ID or current passport will be required for validation at the pier.

. An Active duty or retired U.S. Military or Canadian Forces*

Military Program Restrictions

You are purchasing a cruise vacation using a special restricted price program rate. It is important that at least one guest per stateroom be eligible to be considered in compliance with a restricted price program. It is also important to note that non-compliance of the restricted price program terms will result in the reservation being re-priced to the lowest available fare for that particular day. Furthermore, you will be responsible to pay for any differences immediately or else your boarding rights will be denied.

To qualify for a military rate, an individual must be classified as one of the following:

1. Active personnel currently serving in the Canadian National Defense; United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves. Proper identification in the form of a United States Uniformed Services WHITE Identification Card for U.S. military personnel, and a WHITE N.D.21 Identification Card with a Red Canadian Flag displayed for Canadian National Defense personnel, must be presented at time of check-in.

2. Retired from any of the divisions listed directly above. "Retired" is defined as A) enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service, B) medically retired, or C) 100% disabled. Proper identification for those classified in category A or B must be in the form of a United States Uniformed RED (Reserve retired personnel) or BLUE (Active Duty retired personnel) Identification Card. Proper identification for those classified in category C is a United States Uniformed TAN Identification Card. Retired Canadian National Defense personnel are eligible and must possess the same white card as described above for active personnel. All forms of identification must be presented at time of check-in.

3. Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD214 or DD256, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.

4. Spouses of actively deployed, or deceased military personnel, are eligible to book one stateroom as long as the eligible spouse is occupying the stateroom. All other guests traveling in the same stateroom are also eligible for the military rate. Spouse must present the PINK Dependent Military ID upon check-in as proof of eligibility.

All guests traveling in the same stateroom are eligible to receive the military rate. No additional staterooms, other than the one that is occupied by the military person is eligible for the military rate. Spouses, parents, in-laws, children or other family members or friends are not eligible for the military rate without the eligible military person occupying the stateroom.

. An Active duty or retired member of the U.S. or Canadian Law Enforcement, Fire Dept. or EMT

None of the above asked RCL to offer these discounts, but I am sure any discount is appreciated, why is this even an issue? all of these eligible people do a job that many won't do,

I am currently in Law Enforcement, 39 years and counting, I served in the Army, (didn't retire from the Army) and I am over 55, so that makes me eligible for two of the three discounts, in all my cruises I have received one senior discount and one Police discount, and before the stock holders perk went away I took advantage of it. I am not ashamed to accept these offers, and I am sure all here who are eligible for a discount will accept them. If any discount that I am eligible for is discontinued it won't affect my decision whether to cruise or not.

There are lots of NYC city jobs that retire you at 50% based on the best 3 averaged out of the last 5 years....and you can just imagine how much they do in overtime for those last 5 years to boast the numbers:rolleyes:

I have friends who were city workers (NYC bus drivers and bridge workers) who were making close to and sometimes over 5 figures for the last 5 years with the overtime and now are retired at half that for the rest of there lives.

I freely admit that my job (althought I do not work in NYC) has pretty much the same deal . And I am in that final stretch to build up the OT . If thge person puts in the hours and does the job why aren't they entitled to the pay?

OK...I'll ask. Why should Police Officers or Fire Personel get a discount? Now, serving Military I can see as they get paid just above minimum wage, but don't most cops and firemen make a decent wage?

My father and many friends of mine are volunteer firefighters. They risk their lives for free to help others. It's nice of a cruiseline to provide them with a slight discount.

If those decisions seem extremely outrageous or unfair, we can always choose to do business with another line, but I don't think we have the right to determine how they should operate their business.

I agree 100%, and you made an excellent comparison. I wouldn't want someone else lecturing me on what charity is more deserving than others. It's my money and that's my choice. Likewise, don't tell the cruise line what profession is more "entitled" than others. It's their choice.

I, like most normal people, have tremendous respect and gratitude for our military, police, firefighters, and EMTs. It's not only the cruise lines who agree. It's theme parks, professional ball fields, festivals, etc. Surely, they don't all have it wrong. I was not born in this country, but one of the traditions I love the most about this country is the love for our civilian and military service men and women.

Archived