Old Town Trolley vs City View Trolley

sharecruises

Looks like City View is the way to go.

What about the Conch Tour Train? Is that the same as the Old Town Trolley?

Basically yes as it is owned by the same person. What is different about the train is that it makes a 90 minute narrated loop which is handy for those wanting to get a quick overview of Key West without all the stopping and starting with the picking up and discharging of passengers.

If you have a short time in KW I would opt for the train in order to have time for other sights.

Mike:)

• 3 weeks later...

We were in KW for Thanksgiving... in the past we have used Old Town Trolley... I think they are about the same except... CV has a schedule of departures and OTT seems to run continuously. CV does not go way out of town to the commercial district. We rode the route 2 times getting off at the Southern Most Point on round one because the driver's speaker wasn't working and we could not hear..... we then got off at Conch Republic and walked along the docks back to the ship.

• 2 months later...

I can only add this personal observation...on our last visit to KW, we did the Old Town trolley...maybe we just picked a bad day, but on a lot of the stops, we had to wait over 15 minutes for the next trolley...plus a couple of times, the trolley was already full when it got to our stop...meanwhile, we would see the nearby CityView trolley stop and see two or more trolleys come and go on that line before we even saw one Old Town trolley...we decided then and there that on our next trip to KW, we would use CityView instead of Old Town...that's my plan for my visit this upcoming May :cool:

We were a party of 11 (7 adults, 4 kids) in KW the day before Thanksgiving. I bought our CV tickets online at a discount (bonus: all kids under 12 were free for booking online!)

We got off the ship, walked to the CV kiosk for our stickers/check-in, then got on a trolley that had just pulled up. One of the people in our party was in a wheelchair, and the trolley was able to accommodate her, no problem, even though it wasn't one of the accessible trolleys. She did have to leave her chair and climb the 2-3 steps to board, which was fine, and the driver helped fold up the wheelchair and then loaded it on the trolley. Otherwise, we would have had to wait for one of the accessible trolleys to come by.

With the ship schedule and a long shore excursion planned(snuba) we only have a short amount of time to 'explore' KW...My teenagers want a photo op at the southern most point......so the Fastest most cost efficient(a relative term I know) way for a 2 mniute photo op is????? Cab???

With the ship schedule and a long shore excursion planned(snuba) we only have a short amount of time to 'explore' KW...My teenagers want a photo op at the southern most point......so the Fastest most cost efficient(a relative term I know) way for a 2 mniute photo op is????? Cab???

A cab would be the fastest but you can figure out the cost from one of the taxi web pages. (It's about 1 and 2/5 ths of a mile)...

http://www.keywesttaxi.com/Rates.htm

But if you do this, save this telephone number so that you can have the taxi meet you just off the docks. In front of the Customes House, for example.

A casual walk up Witehead would take you about 30 minnutes unless you linger in front of the Hemingway house, the lighthouse, the Green Parrot, etc.

Pjk

• 2 weeks later...

I took City View last week. No problems although I will say the day I rode there were some pretty long waits at some stops, especially the stop by the Butterfly Museum near the Southermost point and by Hemingway's house. I will say when the driver saw the backup (20 people, 30 mins) at Hemingway he called for another Trolley and it arrived almost immediatley. It is the high season and there were 2 ships in port that day.

No complaints at all. Larry, one of the drivers, is a funny guy.

I also think the Ship's all sell the Old Town Trolley Tour..so that means higher price right there

This is some great information....love the padded seats...

City View it is ...thanks again !!!!

We're going to be in KW next January on Carnival. On their excursion page, they call their excursion the City View Trolley--so is this not correct?

However, regardless, after reading this and another thread, if we do a trolley, we will book our excursion ourselves. Carnival's City View Trolley is $30/person versus the $17 or even $19 to book it ourselves.

We're going to be in KW next January on Carnival. On their excursion page, they call their excursion the City View Trolley--so is this not correct?

However, regardless, after reading this and another thread, if we do a trolley, we will book our excursion ourselves. Carnival's City View Trolley is $30/person versus the $17 or even $19 to book it ourselves.

Book it yourself and save the $$$ as Carnival needs to make their percentage. All indications say the City View is the best option.

When you book CIty View thru Carnival, do they pick you up from the ship? How far is the walk from the ship to the City View kiosk? I'm on the Imagination.

The imagination docks at the Outer Mole pier which is behind Navy property so you will be transported from the ship to Front St where you will just be steps away.

Here is a map showing the cruise ship docks and the Cityview map

http://www.cityviewtrolleys.com/keywest/KeyWest_PDF/KEY%20WEST%20NEW%20MAP.pdf

Edited by bhopal21

The imagination docks at the Outer Mole pier which is behind Navy property so you will be transported from the ship to Front St where you will just be steps away.

Here is a map showing the cruise ship docks and the Cityview map

http://www.cityviewtrolleys.com/keywest/KeyWest_PDF/KEY%20WEST%20NEW%20MAP.pdf

So everyone on the Imagination is transported to Front Street? That's great. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the great posts...I would have never considered City View if I didn't read all the comments here. We're going to KW for a few days next week. Even though the Trolley gives you a free 2nd day, it seems like City View is a better deal overall!

Just returned from Key West on the Imagination. I would definately suggest City View. They are $10 cheaper for adults and kids were free. Had I bought this thru Carnival on Old Town it would have been over $100 and I ended up paying $40. The driver was fantastic and we had a great time. I would do it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info the last time we were in KW we walked all over and were so hot and tired that we couldn't even enjoy Kermits key lime pie, ( lol we never found it and had to eat another kind at the square ) at least this time we kind of know where things are and I'm sure that it will be much better, the trolly will be a great help for us we will be there on 5-8 on the Conquest and can't wait

• 3 weeks later...

used CityView last week for our tour of Key West. Very informative and friendly drivers/tour guides. They gave a lot of information as well as some colorful stories. A nice way to see Key West's highlights in a short period of time. Brought tickets online and saved some money. City View is still about $10 cheaper than the other companies for the same tour. Would recommend them for sure.