Aft Cabin on the Valor

BirmanGal

I just booked our next cruise. We'll be sailing on the Valor. For the first time, we will have an aft view cabin with an extended balcony on deck 8. We usually stay on deck 10 and love it, but thought the aft balcony would give us fantastic views and a change from our norm. We are hoping we made a good decision and won't have a noise problem coming from the Lido deck above.

I booked my next cruise a couple of weeks ago and we also have an aft cabin on the Valor on deck 8. :D:D:D

I'm hoping for less noise as well, I think it is the Serenty area that is above us and hopefully that will keep the noise down a bit.

When are you all sailing?

We are doing the exotic southern on January 21, 2012. Four ports I've never been to was too much of a draw to say no. I wanted to be at sea on my birthday, but the Miracle doing the same itenarary on my birthday was much higher, so we will just celebrate a little early. I plan to do a review when we get back, so stay tuned! :D

I just looked at the deck plans. The Serinity area is on the Sun and Sky decks just like the Freedom. We will have the Lido deck above us. Have you experienced the Serenity deck yet? It is wonderful. We spent all of our deck time there.

So you don't like jeans on elegant nights either. It was so bad on the Freedom that I sent an email to Carnival when we returned home. People have a choice how they dress, but if they show up at the dining room not dressed properly they should be directed to other dining options. One elegant night, we had a couple in shorts on one side and a couple on the other side in jeans. I couldn't believe it.

So you don't like jeans on elegant nights either. It was so bad on the Freedom that I sent an email to Carnival when we returned home. People have a choice how they dress, but if they show up at the dining room not dressed properly they should be directed to other dining options. One elegant night, we had a couple in shorts on one side and a couple on the other side in jeans. I couldn't believe it.

Hate 'em. I honestly don't understand why people insist on the venue changing to accomodate them rather than them accomodating the venue. If you don't like the rules, just don't go. How hard is that?? It upset me when Carnival caved and made it "elegant" night instead of formal night. Where in the heck do I wear my beaded gowns now? :D:o

Well, shoot, I thought I read somewhere that the serenity area was above us. Oh well, the chairs scraping aren't as bad as the anchor going down or the stabilizers or whatever it is that makes that awful vibrating/grating sound. All's good - I'm bringing ear plugs cuz I think at least one of my roomies snores. I'm going with two friends - a woman I roomed with in the barracks when I was in the AF 30 years ago and a male former AF pilot. We've never traveled before, so it ought to be interesting if nothing else. LOL.

Have a good night!

Previous poster is correct.....Serenity Deck is Forward and the highest decks.

You will have the aft pool Lido Deck area above you. I did not stay in an aft balcony but rather an inside cabin right near them last month. You will hear the chair scraping.

There are pros and cons to everything! With the Aft balcony you get the views etc etc however on deck 8 you will hear things being moved around on the Lido deck. You will also be at the total opposite end of the ship from the Serenity Deck BUT you will be one easy flight of stairs away from the Lido Deck and an easy walk down to the Promenade deck also.

We had an aft cabin on the Zuiderdam thru the Panama Canal for 2 weeks just below the Lido and did hear chair scraping, but that was the extent of the noise so it wasn't a real nuisance.

Also, we did feel some vibrations from the engines starting/stopping. Kinda felt like the vibrating beds in the older hotel rooms that you put quarters into. Thought that was interesting, and also was very intermittent.

But, probably the one thing I did not like about the aft balcony was we were just below the lido, so when anyone would hang around the handrail, they could look directly down on us. A few decks lower would have been better, but it still spoiled us.

Going thru the canal with the aft balcony was awesome!

We have an aft balcony on our Carnival Splendor cruise in Oct and am looking forward to it.

if you can move down to deck 7 it will be better.

Chair scrappings above you can get quite annoying in the am hours.

--

deck 7 is between cabin space and away from public areas.

--

aft cabins are warm- they get no ocean breezes. the balcony is larger then the side - the views are amazing.

Its a long walk to the stairs. elevators=- even a LONGER walk to get to the serenity area.

halls are quiet back here though as people on a cruise tend NOT to go where they do not have to go

Thanks for all the info. I agree that deck 7 would have been perfect. However, even at almost a year away I only had 2 decks to choose from - 6 and 8. Since we were accustomed to deck 10, I thought we would like 8 better than 6. I like being on a high deck. I can tolerate a little noise if the view is great. If it gets too bad, I will just go out on the balcony and enjoy the view or the sound of the water if it is the dark of night. Since we have been on the Panorama deck on the Liberty and Freedom, it is time to try something new! How did we go to the topic of jeans you ask. Well, I noticed San Antonio Ex had a mention of it at the end of the reply and I JUMPED on the topic since it DRIVES ME CRAZY!!! Elegant or Formal - I don't care what they call it, jeans and shorts should not be allowed and Carnival should enforce it. At least in my opinion.

Thanks for all the info. I agree that deck 7 would have been perfect. However, even at almost a year away I only had 2 decks to choose from - 6 and 8. Since we were accustomed to deck 10, I thought we would like 8 better than 6. I like being on a high deck. I can tolerate a little noise if the view is great. If it gets too bad, I will just go out on the balcony and enjoy the view or the sound of the water if it is the dark of night. Since we have been on the Panorama deck on the Liberty and Freedom, it is time to try something new! How did we go to the topic of jeans you ask. Well, I noticed San Antonio Ex had a mention of it at the end of the reply and I JUMPED on the topic since it DRIVES ME CRAZY!!! Elegant or Formal - I don't care what they call it, jeans and shorts should not be allowed and Carnival should enforce it. At least in my opinion.

Which cabin are you in? We had 8450 on the Liberty and loved it. Heard no chair scraping.

My family and I always dress very nice for formal/elegant nights. But if you think about it, everyone paid for the cruise, this is including the price for lobster and prime rib whether you eat it or not. If people want to wear shorts or jeans, why judge? Maybe they didn't have room to pack all the dress clothes, maybe they couldn't afford to go out and by new dresses and suits for the cruise, etc, etc. My point is, they paid for the cruise just like everyone else. Let them enjoy it without judging others. You don't know their battle or situation.

You don't know their battle or situation.

it has nothing to do with the personal battle.

Carnival states a rule about eloquent night and no shorts,flips flops and do not enforce the rule.

I sat at a table on formal night a few years ago and was VERY uncomfortable and felt quite overdressed in my long dress and honey in his suit and everyone else looking like they just came in from the pool. (the momma has on a terry cloth cover up as her formal wear- most people would not wear this to a regular place to dine--let alone on a special night on a cruise.

if they cant afford to dress night for the MDR- they should eat at the lido buffet or wait until they can afford to cruise properly

We had this room on our Valor cruise and it was above the lounge. There were a few nights that the music was loud, but not loud enought to bohter. Went to sleep fairly easy. Loved the extended balcony. Friends had the wrap next door and we open the door between our balconies and had a huge balcony!:p

We have 8450 on Freedom. We are lepers sorry I mean smokers, so thought we'd take the butts on our balcony and bin them, and not pass them to neighbours below:D. and our smoke rises....

We are rarely in our cabin, but think will be lovely sailing out of ports, and sunset drinks..

Have got it for two cruises, 14 nights back to back, cannot wait:D

Much to my surprise, I went on the Carnival website this evening and an aft cabin on deck 7 became available (7442). I jumped right on the phone, contacted my travel agent, and made the change from 8454. Now we don't have a public area above or below us. I think this was a great change. I know we will be one additional deck from the pool deck, but that will be alright. I can use the exercise with all of the extra eating on board. Good point - we will be one additional deck away from the Lido buffet. That is a good thing. LOL. So send me your thoughts.

it has nothing to do with the personal battle.

Carnival states a rule about eloquent night and no shorts,flips flops and do not enforce the rule.

I sat at a table on formal night a few years ago and was VERY uncomfortable and felt quite overdressed in my long dress and honey in his suit and everyone else looking like they just came in from the pool. (the momma has on a terry cloth cover up as her formal wear- most people would not wear this to a regular place to dine--let alone on a special night on a cruise.

if they cant afford to dress night for the MDR- they should eat at the lido buffet or wait until they can afford to cruise properly

I agree completely. I know that I feel very uncomfortable when I am the most dressed up person - it is bad to feel overdressed and it makes me angry that I know I'm dressed appropriately and the the luddites are not, but I'm the one feeling out of place.

To me it is like going to a ball game and spending the entire time ignoring the game and yelling into your cell phone. Why go to the game unless you want to enjoy the entire game experience! Just stay home and watch it on TV. :D

Oh well - back to the topic at hand. I have had aft balconies three times and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them! I'm really looking forward to my aft balcony in January - chair scraping or not.

Archived