WHAT HAVE I DONE... DREAMers help me

EZ1966

I was on the same cruise as texascarbibbeanchick. I just got back on Saturday. The cruise was great overall. The food was okay, but I am a good cook, and others may think it was better than I did. I did get a whiff of some smell every once in a blue moon....nothing major. The only thing that bothered me was the rocking of the ship. I didn't get sick because I kept up with meds, but it did rock more than any ship I've ever been on.

I was on the same cruise as texascarbibbeanchick. I just got back on Saturday. The cruise was great overall. The food was okay, but I am a good cook, and others may think it was better than I did. I did get a whiff of some smell every once in a blue moon....nothing major. The only thing that bothered me was the rocking of the ship. I didn't get sick because I kept up with meds, but it did rock more than any ship I've ever been on.

I am so glad you commented on the rocking! At first we thought it was because the Captain ran the ship so hard, but then I noticed that even when we were traveling at a slower pace entering and exiting ports it was just as bad. I was dizzy for two days after we were off, but I didn't get sick while we were on.

As far as the food... We thought it was the best food on a cruise ever. We have done 5 cruises together on RCCL and CCL combined, and this was hands down the best. The Steakhouse was really great, and our main seating in the Crimson was very good. We had a party of 8. The Lido deck buffet was definitely crowded, but we were always there at

peak times for breakfast and lunch. If you go to the right side aft section of the Gathering, it is less crowded. The

burrito station back there always moved fast, but the deli took the longest for me. My DH and MIL loved the Tandoori

grill and craved it at times. We tried to go to the pasta bar, but the line was too long. Granted this was the day and

time the Deli and Tandoori were closed from a medical emergency involving a Coast Guard helicopter. There were a lot

of people displaced from that situation.

Pool chairs could be hard to find if (a) you need more than 1 or (b) if you need to be by the pool. Deck 11, right side

between main pool and aft pool, the area didn't get crowded until mid morning. If you are closer to the main pool, you

can still hear the band. Bar staff come by, but not as often. Chair/clamshell/hammock space in Serenity is limited. Go

earlier in the day to get lucky. Forget the hammock during daylight. It won't happen for you!

As for the smell... We walked into a couple of crop-dusted areas from passengers, but that was it. Our cabin smelled a

little like engine fuel compared to our family cabins on either side (deck 7, midship, inside). I have no idea what would

cause that, but it wasn't a big deal.

The decor on the ship was tacky and cheap compared to the RCCL Radiance. The mirrored panels everywhere are just

too much with the lighting. It also isn't something that makes or breaks a cruise for us.

My opinion of CCL changed on this cruise for the better. I would sail the Dream again if I could be guaranteed the

rocking would not be as noticeable. I would happily sail the same itinerary. We were on the July 2nd Eastern

Caribbean. I was dreading our cruise from the reviews I read on CC! I do think some people are looking to complain about every detail. I do wish reviews would balance out positive and negative remarks to be more representative of their experiences. I can't imagine going on a cruise and everything going wrong! I probably would never cruise again if any of my experiences were as bad as some of these reviews.

PS- I have a hard time telling aft from forward while cruising, but I have never been able to remember port vs. starboard. The reference to right side is heading towards the back of the ship.

The OP asked for honest opinions and they is exactly what I gave. So sick and tired of being flamed for having one. And for the record - I may be "picky"; but I certainly DID NOT LOOK for problems.

EZ - go and have a great time. As others have mentioned - cruising is more about attitude than anything else. Go with the one you love and enjoy EVERYTHING - good or bad.

Happy Cruising.

Your post from a "seasoned" cruiser sounded picky. I'm not the only responder who sees things, but does not expect preferential treatment. I gave alternate suggestions to alleviate crowds. With over 4,000 people on a ship, all areas will not be vacant at the exact time one wants them to be. You'll have to learn to be the early bird and take those spaces.

Complaints about plumbing, A.C., or safety issues are legit.

I have been on these boards for years, and while I have gotten some very useful information, I have also had that sick feeling in my stomach when after booking a cruise I have read of the horrible time people had on the ship I have booked. Every single time my concerns where unfounded.

My thoughts on this are you have a choice everyday when you get out of bed you can complain and moan about how bad your life is or you can chose to make it a great day. some people focus on little things and let it ruin their whole cruise, probably live their whole life that way. REALLY.... If you can't have a great time on a cruise there is something wrong with you.

:confused:What other tips can you give. And how do you get a table for two on the MDR?

When you get on board, go to the dining room. There is a maitre'd on duty from 1 pm till about 3. You can request a table for 2 thru him, and will get one if it is available.

Booked a cruise on the dream and then found cruise critic. Now I am worried I wasted my money! Is the food really that bad? My last cruise was 4 years ago but the food was good, then! Overcrowded with no room in the pools and no chairs on the deck! Is it really that bad? AND WHAT ABOUT THAT SMELL everyone keeps talking about? Is it really bad and where is it? Starting to really regret it. Was the Legend a better choice? I really need to hear some honest and non biased opinions, please! THANKS for responding.

We are on this cruise with you!

I am so excited for the Dream.

It is our 12th Carnival Cruise... you just have to realize that there will be more people on this ship than your previous ones, and maybe more of a challenge to find quiet areas. But it is what you make out of it!

Let's hope for smooth seas and a nice crowd!

Catrin

Archived