What to do with passport while on beach?

In the Bahamas, we have always had to show our passport to get through the Bahama security to go back to the ships. They even announce it on the boat to be sure to take it off the boat with you. I just keep it in my beach bag & while in the water, I watch it. I have never had a problem, but I avoid the big crowds too so my bag sits on the beach right in front of me, easy to spot.

In the Bahamas, we have always had to show our passport to get through the Bahama security to go back to the ships. They even announce it on the boat to be sure to take it off the boat with you. I just keep it in my beach bag & while in the water, I watch it. I have never had a problem, but I avoid the big crowds too so my bag sits on the beach right in front of me, easy to spot.

what happens if you don't have a passport?

Bill

Bill

The rest of us will wave a fond farewell to you as we all get to board the ship, and you don't. ;)

Just kidding. :)

Anyway, the question isn't about whether or not someone has a passport, the issue by the original poster was about what to do with their things while in port. I think we all kind of got away from the original point of this thread. There have been enough discussions on CC about whether you should or shouldn't carry a passport, and people who have one can do with it as they wish - at their own risk. There has been some very useful advice provided, from using waterproof bags to asking someone else from the ship to keep an eye on their things, etc. Hopefully the OP can sort through everything and come up with a solution that will make them feel safe.

Bill

I think they do announce on the ship before they let you off to take a photo ID OR Passport (sorry)- but I always take my passport & it has ALWAYS been checked in Nassau!! Never has the Bahamian security checked my S&S card - they push that aside & grab my passport.

1. Go to your local Bass Pro Shop, West Marine, Sports Authority, or sporting goods store. Buy a small dry bag. Not the roll up kind (they leak), not the little hard cases with the O ring seals and snap closures (they leak), but rather the vinyl pouch type with the cam locks at the top (these are designed for cell phones and such, and they don't leak). These range in cost from less than $10 at the sporting goods store to $20 at West Marine.

Can you be more specific about the hard cases you're talking about. I bought an Otterbox that was supposed to be waterproof up to 100ft. I have taken it on a snorkeling trip before. But I might have to take it on our upcoming dive trip and I don't want to risk my stuff getting wet.

The last few years, we've been bringing our passports off with us. I used to leave them in the safe, but when we started taking independent tours or traveling off on our own, I just felt better having them with us in case we get left behind! We put all four of our passports in a large ziplock bag and keep it in one of our backpacks. We just got back from a cruise to Panama and Costa Rica, both with LONG, independent tours that I knew would be cutting it close with sail away, so felt it best to bring them along. If we're going to be running around doing only some shopping close to port, then I leave them in the safe. Always bring photo ID at least, though. However, twice I've forgotten mine in port- once in Venice, Italy, and once in Grand Cayman. Both times, I explained to the sec. guards checking, and whether they were supposed to or not, they both waved me through with just my S and S.

I agree with the folks that say take your passport with you in a watertight "Ziplock" type sport bag IF you are going on a long shore excursion away from port, that might make you late in returning to the ship.

If you are walking around St. Thomas and having lunch at the Hard Rock leave it in the safe.

I like the "Ziplock" Bags better than the boxes or roll tops because you can squeeze the air out before sealing them so they don't float when you swim or snorkle.

it's kind of ironic that all the chicken littles that advocate getting getting a passport instead of doing closed loop cruises with just a birth certificate and govt issued ID's but every person who responded to this post gets off the ship without their passports.

Bill

Why take if off if you don't need to? and I did not get my passport for cruising, I got it because I needed one for land trips outside of the U.S.A.

Just wondering what do you all do with your passport while you go to the beach for the day? I know you have to take your it with you off the ship and show it in order to get back on the ship...but what happens when you are at the beach for the day and you have your passport in your backpack and then you go in the water? I don't want to leave it unattended. The past cruises I've been on we have been with a group of people so someone was always with the bags... but this time its just my boyfriend and I and I can't think of where we would leave them.... thoughts?

I have a laptop alarm that I have used in the past, I lock it through the zipper pulls and around the chair I am using. It makes an ungodly sound if moved and would get your attention.

I have also just packed the passports, wallet, cell phone. in an inner pocket in the backpack and it works fine.

Most of the time I just slip the passports and wallet in the toe of my shoe. Know one would ever think to look there. So don't tell anyone!!!

I have always just taken my sign and sail card with my I.D. You don't need your passport to get back on the ship!! The only time you may need your passport is if you miss the ship and you need to fly back home.

Exactly, my question is this...

How are you going to get the ship to give you your passport if you missed the ship and need it to get home, or to the next port?

In my opinion, it is going to be hard enough for most travelers (I know most of you on CC are billionaires and don't have this problem) is getting enough money to pay for the flight home, or to the next port, after you saved all year for the cruise and all the related expenses. You don't need to have to worry about proving you are an American also.

Take it with you, use common sense, and don't leave your bag where you can not see the area it is in. Do not flash your passport around at the beach, put it away in the bag before you leave the ship (you do not need it to get off the ship) and have it for that emergency that might come up.

Have Fun,

Can you be more specific about the hard cases you're talking about. I bought an Otterbox that was supposed to be waterproof up to 100ft. I have taken it on a snorkeling trip before. But I might have to take it on our upcoming dive trip and I don't want to risk my stuff getting wet.

We've seen a lot of small, cheap plastic hardcases that are just big enough for a wallet. Usually sold in the sporting goods section of Walmart. They're worthless for anything except rain and spray. There are a variety of O ring sealed hard cases that are very good, but they tend to be pretty expensive and much bulkier than we prefer to carry around. The type we prefer are the Aquapac style - you can google it for more info.

I have cruised to The Bahamas twice and only needed to show my DL and S&S card at the security gate.

Why take if off if you don't need to? and I did not get my passport for cruising, I got it because I needed one for land trips outside of the U.S.A.

since a lot of people on here get the passport just for the cruise let me ask you this.

If you are getting the passport just for the cruise and leave it in the safe since you don't need it, why bother getting it at all?

Bill

since a lot of people on here get the passport just for the cruise let me ask you this.

If you are getting the passport just for the cruise and leave it in the safe since you don't need it, why bother getting it at all?

Bill

We personally need our passports coming from Canada.. and in 10 cruises they have come off the ship with us every time..;)

I cant answer your question LOL

1. Go to your local Bass Pro Shop, West Marine, Sports Authority, or sporting goods store. Buy a small dry bag. Not the roll up kind (they leak), not the little hard cases with the O ring seals and snap closures (they leak), but rather the vinyl pouch type with the cam locks at the top (these are designed for cell phones and such, and they don't leak). These range in cost from less than $10 at the sporting goods store to $20 at West Marine.

2. Put your wallet, cash, and PASSPORT!!! into the dry bag, latch it closed, and tuck it into a convenient pocket in your swimsuit. Go swimming. Make sure to attach the lanyard to a belt loop, zipper, waist drawstring, etc. just in case it floats out of your pocket while in the water. If you're a lady wearing a teeny tiny swimsuit that doesn't have pockets (send pictures please!), get the dude accompanying you to put it in his pocket.

Whenever we go ashore, we always have our ID's, cash, small waterproof digital camera, and PASSPORTS!!! in our drybag. Not only does it keep things completely dry while swimming, it also protects them from monsoon rain showers on days where we're just walking around town.

It continues to baffle and amaze me why anyone would step ashore in a foreign country without their passport, and the lengths to which some people will go to justify their failure to do so. But then I always wear a helmet when I ride and carry a life jacket on my boat, so I guess that's just me.

I have an AquaPac for my Nook so that I can read in the pool while laying on a raft. They make these in various sizes and you can get one to fit your passports, cell phones, etc. Then you can bring them in the water with you. The aquapac has the cam locks and it has worked great for me so far. They also provide a guarantee.

http://www.aquapac.net/usastore/water-electronics-medium-875-0.html

658_large3.jpg

Maggie

We've used genuine Aquapacs, which are very good but pricey, and knockoff designs that we've bought for much less at the local sporting goods store, and they've also been very good. Just stay with the cam lock style (not the zip lock or roll up type) and it will be fine for keeping wallets, ID's, cash, and PASSPORTS!!! dry.

Most people cruise the Caribbean. But we needed our passports when we went on an Alaskan cruise and did an excursion that went into Canada. The requirement was you needed a passport or you couldn't go. So there are some occassions when the passport is needed.

Sharon

I always take my passport when I leave a ship. I swim with them while they are in something called a "dry pak". I don't know how to put on the link, but if you google them you can buy them. they have a square size, that fits around the waist, and can hold a passport, SS card, and some money and credit cards. I goes in the water with me, and is totally waterproof. Going ashore without your passport is a big risk, as you can miss the ship's departure for a number of reasons beyond your control....traffic, injuries or accidents, sudden illness, etc.

Have been to Bahamas many times never have I been asked for passport to leave or return. Just sail and sign card and picture ID. What about people who cruise on just Birth Cert. that dont have passport.:D:D:D

Bill

Maybe some of us are flying out of Country to meet a Ship :D:D:D

Bill

I would think just incase you need to fly home at some point for an emergency?

If you are in port and an emergency came up you can just call the number on the fun times and a Carnival rep will assist you in getting your docs and anything else you might need.

OP keep it safe in the safe:D

I would think just incase you need to fly home at some point for an emergency?

If you are in port and an emergency came up you can just call the number on the fun times and a Carnival rep will assist you in getting your docs and anything else you might need.

OP keep it safe in the safe:D

What was I thinking. I forgot everybody writes the port agents # down before leaving the ship.;)

Bill

Archived