What to do with passport while on beach?

Just wondering what do you all do with your passport while you go to the beach for the day? I know you have to take your it with you off the ship and show it in order to get back on the ship...but what happens when you are at the beach for the day and you have your passport in your backpack and then you go in the water? I don't want to leave it unattended. The past cruises i've been on we have been with a group of people so someone was always with the bags... but this time its just my boyfriend and I and I can't think of where we would leave them.... thoughts?

Just wondering what do you all do with your passport while you go to the beach for the day? I know you have to take your it with you off the ship and show it in order to get back on the ship...but what happens when you are at the beach for the day and you have your passport in your backpack and then you go in the water? I don't want to leave it unattended. The past cruises i've been on we have been with a group of people so someone was always with the bags... but this time its just my boyfriend and I and I can't think of where we would leave them.... thoughts?

i have never taken my passport with me in port...i take only my ss card...and maybe my id....just in case i get carded......by in 7 cruises i never have.

I don't take my passport off the ship. I also don't take a copy of it with me. I like to live dangerously.

I don't take my passport off the ship. I also don't take a copy of it with me. I like to live dangerously.

Me too. I've never taken my passport off the ship. It stays in the safe.

Never take your passport ashore. Folks will steel them for BIG $$$ on the streets.

As others say, make copies and take them in your wallet if you feel you must.

I might suggest you have a copy back home with a family member who can fax a copy should you need to do so.

I usually don't take my passport with me when I go on a tour or go to the beach, etc. But if the time in port is limited, I do take it with me coz I like getting it stamped. I put it in a waterproof case and carry it around with me.

My passport stay in the safe, all I take off the ship is my S&S card and my DL.

it's kind of ironic that all the chicken littles that advocate getting getting a passport instead of doing closed loop cruises with just a birth certificate and govt issued ID's but every person who responded to this post gets off the ship without their passports.

Bill

i have never taken my passport with me in port...i take only my ss card...and maybe my id....just in case i get carded......by in 7 cruises i never have.

Don't take your SS card anywhere! You are supposed to leave that at home! Mine even said so in the letter they sent when they gave me a new one for my new name.

Don't take your SS card anywhere! You are supposed to leave that at home! Mine even said so in the letter they sent when they gave me a new one for my new name.

by ss...i mean sign and sail........smile.....not social security

i dont even no wer that card is.....

the only reason you would need to have your passport with you while in port is if you stay out too long and the ship leaves with out you and and your stuck in a foreign country with out your passport then your s.o.l... just make sure you make it back to the ship before it leaves and you'll be good keep it in the safe

You are not required to show your passport when reboarding the ship in ports. So you could leave it on the ship. Here's what we do, though: We always take our passports ashore. When we go to the beach, one of us sits with our bags, while the other two go into the water. We never leave our bags unattended. So if you and your boyfriend do decide to take your passports ashore, when you go to the beach just take turns going into the water. While one of you swims, the other sits with the bags.

it's kind of ironic that all the chicken littles that advocate getting getting a passport instead of doing closed loop cruises with just a birth certificate and govt issued ID's but every person who responded to this post gets off the ship without their passports.

Bill

It's not ironic at all.

There is little reason to carry a passport when getting off a ship to visit a foreign port.

Intelligent people in the 21st century realize that they are "not in Kansas anymore".

The world is a big and sometimes dangerous place that requires all available safeguards.

Expecting the unexpected is the hallmark of an informed traveler.

Anyone can produce a "valid" driving license or a "valid" birth certificate for the USA.

I can make you a "valid" DL or BC at any Kinko's in about 20 minutes.

Couterfeiting a US Passsport, with the holograms and Radio Frequency chips, is nearly impossible.

Any intelligent person who is concerned about trying to keep dangerous people out of his country should push for EVERYONE coming in and going out to have a passport. It probably will not stop them all - but even if it stops the one terrorist with the nuclear bomb - isn't it worth the trouble?

The terrorists who flew the airplanes into the twin towers n 2001 all used US driving licenses to cross the border from Canada into the USA, and to board the airplanes.

Why take a US Passport ashore in a foreign port?

No reason, in most cases.

Just carry a photocopy.

Shops will cash travelers checks with the photocopy.

Shore security will let you board the ship with a photocopy.

In any emergency ashore, the ship's personnel look first in your cabin safe to find your passport.

They sign it over to the Ship's Agent, who is then responsible for you and the passport.

Why carry a passport when you leave your home country?

If you need to fly home for any reason; medical, family emergency, ship breaks down, etc, you CANNOT board an airplane back to the USA without a passport.

When the Carnival ship burned off the coast of Mexico last year, the Mexican authorities wanted to tow the dead ship back to the nearest port (in Mexico) to get the passengers quickly and safely to hotels and then back home.

But they couldn't do it.

Many of the American pasengers did not have a passport. They couldn't fly home.

So instead they were forced to stay onboard the dead ship for an extra 48 hours - with no aircon, no toilets, no running water, and little food - while they towed the ship to the nearest American port to let them off.

In the 21st century, this is absolutely ridiculous that people from the USA could be so naive about the world they live in.

I don't understand how this is so difficult for people.

You will probably be at a packed beach(It's not like the Carnival commercial) sitting 2 ft. away from others on the same ship.

Just ask them to keep an eye on your stuff while you are away. Pretty easy..

Never take real pass port on shore, Take a copy of it. you may need it . An american passport is worth up to 900 dollars so it is a temptaion for stealing or mugging. You will need an picture ID and sail and sign card.

Personally I do not understand why all these people have passports but leave them in the safe back on the ship??? What good will they do you there? We bring our passports with us when we get off the ship in case something happens and we don't make it back on to the ship in time.

I have a hipster bag that zips closed with 2 zippers. I secure these 2 zippers together with a TSA type lock. I then use another TSA type lock to secure the bag to something. However, we don't usually leave our bags unattended anyway.

Maggie

Personally I do not understand why all these people have passports but leave them in the safe back on the ship??? What good will they do you there? We bring our passports with us when we get off the ship in case something happens and we don't make it back on to the ship in time. Maggie

same here. it is the reason we got our passports. we have a water proof container that goes in the water with us for anything we do not want stolen. however, we have never had any issue with theft on any beach. usually you can ask someone sitting around you to watch your things.

Archived