Pearl 7/24/2011 Missing Juneau

ammcem

Just got email from NCL that our cruise on the Pearl leaving Seattle on July 24, 2011 will not leave Seattle until noon on the 25th and we will miss Juneau on Tuesday. They've sited propulsion problems.

We are being offered $200 OBC per stateroom and a bottle of wine ... really a bummer. I'd rather see Juneau.

Don't settle! Apparently there is a cruise going out this Sunday 7/17 so why not fix the propeller this week and not wait. The problem can't be too bad if they can cruise with it the remainder of the current cruise and next weeks.

Call NCL, demand that we get Juneau back! This is the major port of this trip, the best shore excursions and more.

Their offered compensation is an insult.

Wow, that sounds disappointing. We are on this cruise in September and I would be sad too.

Do you still get to embark on Sunday, or do you have to wait until the Monday? I would be more upset about missing a day of my vacation on the boat than missing Juneau, I think.

Just got email from NCL that our cruise on the Pearl leaving Seattle on July 24, 2011 will not leave Seattle until noon on the 25th and we will miss Juneau on Tuesday. They've sited propulsion problems.

We are being offered $200 OBC per stateroom and a bottle of wine ... really a bummer. I'd rather see Juneau.

NCL is shorting you 1/7th of your cruise and missing Juneau, and all they offer in compensation is $200 obc? They have got to be joking. The cheapest inside room is $700/person, so they are barely offering those booked in inside cabins a comparable refund. If I was on that week, I would be outraged by that offer.

Had the same experience last year on the Jewel's Canada cruise, and because of a propulsion problem, the ship couldn't travel as fast so we missed a port. If it's the same type of problem on the Pearl, it isn't that simple to fix. The Jewel had to be put into drydock.

They could cancel a cruise, which would be on very short notice, to fix it, although it's unlikely there would be a drydock facility available right away. I felt sorry for the people on the Jewel who's cruise was cancelled a couple of months after we sailed.

It's too bad, but these things happen. You got alot more OBC than we did and we were on a 10 day cruise. We could have cancelled ours without penalty and alot of people did. That caused prices to drop at the last minute so we were able to upgrade from an outside cabin to a balcony at no charge. It all worked out and we had a great time in spite of missing a port.

I'm not terribly upset that this happened - it's just that the compensation sucks. I have two rooms on this cruise (which cost me something like $10K) and I am losing one seventh of my cruise - which is $1400 value. Given that I cannot cruise within the next year and don't drink, what I am getting out of their "compensation package" is worth something like $250.

I have written a strong mail to their public relations department and copied Kevin Sheehan on it. If something is not done about this then I certainly won't cruise Norwegian again.

- HCE

That's the problem I am having with this whole thing. I understand things happen and better they fix the propeller and we lose one day, then get somewhere and the thing breaks and we are stranded, but the compensation is lousy. I don't drink wine, I have no desire to see Bill Cosby and I will never sail NCL again so all I get it $150. GTFOH:mad:

That stinks, and I feel for you, Juneau is nice.

But the real issue is that the OP used NCL and "Bummer" in the same post. 11 responses later, no one has told the OP how lucky they are that this happened, and to get an OBC on top of it.

Maybe there's hope after all.

I would be upset too. I am jealous that you get to be on the 1/7th of an Alaskan cruise.They are way out of my budget range

I hear stories of bad weather in the bahamas and having to skip the port

Of course I will be upset, yet

poop-happens.jpg

sorry if this offends, but my sarcasm gene just won't lay off today

That's the problem I am having with this whole thing. I understand things happen and better they fix the propeller and we lose one day, then get somewhere and the thing breaks and we are stranded, but the compensation is lousy. I don't drink wine, I have no desire to see Bill Cosby and I will never sail NCL again so all I get it $150. GTFOH:mad:

So is Bill Cosby supposed to be performing on board?

There are two posts running on this. They are letting everyone stay aboard for the whole 7 days, $150 per stateroom, 10% any future cruise, half price specialty dining, free bottle of wine. They are also bringing in Bill Cosby for two shows for free. So the only thing anyone is giving up is one port. Last time I missed a port, I got port charges refunded. Mechanical problems happen, it sucks, but NCL is giving a lot more than they have to. Of course you could cancel and take another cruise?:rolleyes:

There are two posts running on this. They are letting everyone stay aboard for the whole 7 days, $150 per stateroom, 10% any future cruise, half price specialty dining, free bottle of wine. They are also bringing in Bill Cosby for two shows for free. So the only thing anyone is giving up is one port. Last time I missed a port, I got port charges refunded. Mechanical problems happen, it sucks, but NCL is giving a lot more than they have to. Of course you could cancel and take another cruise?:rolleyes:

Believe me I would cancel if I could....

NCL is not waiving any cancellation penalties. Since we live near Seattle, we would choose to sail the following week if we could get a similar cabin and excursions; however, we are traveling with 9 family members from Indiana and so that isn't possible with out huge additional costs ....

We are planning on making the best of it and won't let it ruin our trip.

On a side note, I called NCL yesterday to pay for our excursions and tips since my mother-in-law is paying for that. Now we are gonna have about $1000 in OBC to use per cabin because the Juneau excursion is cancelled.

Well they only offered us $150 and a bottle of wine for our mini suite with a balcony. Losing 25% of our excursions ( I count Glacier Bay as 1) and they are giving us nothing. Shipboard credits. Guess they will only get a 999% profit instead of the usual 1000%. WOW!! Juneau was a big deal for my sister. She lived there for 3 years while her husband was stationed there in the 70's. What did they say??? Kevin Sheehan's office said and I quote " We could have given you nothing." As far as I am concerned that's what they did.

We feel the same way. Booked last summer and now nothing except $150 on board credit which really costs them nothing and we lose a whole day and Juneau to boot.

BUMMMMMMMMEEEERRRR!!!! Oh yeah, they offered us 20% off our next trip with them???? HELLO!

We have decided to make the most of it. When I talked to a person in Mr. Sheehan's office (supposedly) they said they had to order the part from the manufacturer. Must not be too serious. They are sailing next week with no cancellations. They even get to go to Juneau.

Archived