Pearl 7/24/2011 Missing Juneau

ammcem

im sorry this happend..but it happens to all cruise line and all ships something somewhere is gonna break or you are gonna have a em evack or something else.. its in your fine print.. does it suck yes very much so but what else do u expect NCL to do? They are in a loose loose loose position right now

If you check CC you will see that ports are missed on a regular basis by all cruise lines. You are going to get all 7 days of you cruise with all meal and entertainment. The only thing lacking is one port. What would you have them do? They didn't say the ship could not sail until it was fixed, they said they needed to get the part and it will arrive in time for your cruise. Someone was going to take a hit. I don't understand what everyone wants them to do for you? Please explain what you think would be fair.

If you left as scheduled you would be sailing at night without much to see. You will still be onboard with all your meals and entertainment (upgraded entertainment). You get a nice OBC, half price dining if you want. And future credit. What would you like???:rolleyes:

your cruise contract does not guarantee you any stops. i am shocked to hear obc has been offered! ports are routinely missed and maybe you get a free drink on most lines. i would be disappointed but not surprised at little or no compensation.

@rvsullivan, the lonely voice of reason. Thank you! We have missed three ports that I can remember. Didn't kill us and did not diminish our enjoyment. We also lost some of our investments in 2008. We got over it, and we moved on.

rvsullivan nicely put and nicely asked. It is unfortunate that things do break on ships and that to fix them takes time. If NCL did stick to their contract terms they could have just said sorry but instead they are offering pretty decent compensation compared to most sailings where ports are missed.

If you check CC you will see that ports are missed on a regular basis by all cruise lines. You are going to get all 7 days of you cruise with all meal and entertainment. The only thing lacking is one port. What would you have them do? They didn't say the ship could not sail until it was fixed, they said they needed to get the part and it will arrive in time for your cruise. Someone was going to take a hit. I don't understand what everyone wants them to do for you? Please explain what you think would be fair.

If you left as scheduled you would be sailing at night without much to see. You will still be onboard with all your meals and entertainment (upgraded entertainment). You get a nice OBC, half price dining if you want. And future credit. What would you like???:rolleyes:

Someone on their roll call came up with a brilliant idea. Have the fix occur in Juneau. This solves multiple problems. Skagway is very close to Juneau so they could leave Juneau during the middle of the night and still make it to Skagway on time.

The last time we were in Alaska in 05 one of the Carnival ships was stuck in Juneau for an extra day for a propeller repair. Many of the passengers were not happy about being "stuck" in Juneau, but then I wasn't sure what other port or sailing they were missing.

im sorry this happend..but it happens to all cruise line and all ships something somewhere is gonna break or you are gonna have a em evack or something else.. its in your fine print.. does it suck yes very much so but what else do u expect NCL to do? They are in a loose loose loose position right now

Does this happen often? I am new here and scheduled for the Peal in a few months.

Does this happen often? I am new here and scheduled for the Peal in a few months.

Not often but it does occur in the same manner that planes, cars or your oil tank mysteriously give up the ghost sometimes. Most ports are missed (if they are missed) because of weather not from mechanical issues.

mechnical issues not alot u gotta remeber ncl has a dozen ships sailing every week. every week of the yr.. something is bound to break sometime.. did u hear on the news last yr that a carnival ship lost all power n the middle of the ocean and there paxs has to eat can food and potted meat for a couple days till another ship got there to tow them n2 port

Sorry to the passengers having to miss Juneau - it would be hard to keep these floating cities going 365 w/out occasion bumps in road (water).

Too bad they can't reverse itinerary and miss Victoria - Juneau offers so much.

Seems nice compensation and fair warning, better than getting on board and finding the ship is stuck in port :(

Best sailing!

My question is can we hang out in seattle till the ship departs Monday at noon or do we have to board at the regular time and then stay on the ship? I called ncl but they said the people that could answer my question only work mon - fri. They should treat it like any other port and let us come and go.

I emailed Mr. Sheehan last weekend, and got a call from his office today, graciously offering to extend the 10% future cruise credit to two years. No chance we'll cruise two years in a row, so this is of no benefit at all.

I reiterated my request for the small cash refund, and was denied.

Anyone else have any contact with NCL about this?

Tina

While I feel sorry for the passengers on this cruise - but what do you do when your car breaks down while on vacation - you fix it and move on and probably cut out part of your trip. I suspect that the problem is something they need to fix now - otherwise they could have waited unitl the last cruise of the season where they would again have to miss a port on the repositioning cruise - probably Astoria - which would have been a lesser impact than Juneau. With so many ships in AK, port scheduling is critical so missing the first port is they only way they can get the ship back on schedule. I also agree that what they are offering does not match what the passengers are giving up - 25% of the ports (excluding Seattle). Although there are others that are losing on this as well -the tour operators in Juneau, shop owners, the port, and NCL. Perhaps better compensation would be to offer to exchange the shore excursions in Juneau with ones in Seattle and a 25% discount on any future cruise - with no time limit.

I really do feel bad for those on this cruise that will be missing Juneau. But I think it's very good of NCL to let everyone know ahead of time and give them the chance to change things if they want to. I also think it is good of them to offer any kind of compensation. Mechanical failures are bound to happen now and then. There isn't much that can be done about it. This is a no-win situation for NCL as well as the passengers. Sorry.

Are you kidding? Take the $200! That will pay for your gratuities and then some. :):) All we got for missing Nassua was the $20 or so port fee refunded. And we had two very disappointed companions who missed their excursion.

I called yesterday and was told we could get off the ship Sunday evening and Monday morning. We plan on visiting Pike Place Market.

The Seattle Aquarium is within walking distance of Pier 66 as well. It is a wonderful Aquarium!

Wow, it's disappointing that they don't seem to be able to shift your itinerary so that you could keep Juneau. It was our favorite of the Alaska ports. But as far as the compensation goes, consider yourselves lucky. We ended up missing Ketchikan when we cruised and only got the port fees refunded. And last February, on our "Morocco and Canary Islands" cruise, both of our stops in Morocco were cancelled -- after everyone had already boarded the ship! Instead, we were reimbursed about $13 per person in port fees. No credit, no discount, and no real explanation why. We spent one extra day at sea and one day in Lanzarote, which was OK, but virtually everyone had to book a pricey shore excursion through NCL because no one had time or access to plan anything else.

I must agree.

Although I totally understand the OP's disappointment...especially for an Alaskan cruise, this stuff happens.

Cruising is ALWAYS a roll of the dice when it comes to ports. It's extra frustrating when it's a mechanical issue but you must face it, things/parts that move are going to occasionally break.

No cruise line compensates everyone to the degree they feel appropriate (especially when those people are really ticked) but they do the best they can....I know it won't make the OP feel any better, but in most all cases, all CCL will give you in compensation for a missed port are your port fees.

With that being said, I do hope the OP will enjoy his cruise and not allow this (understandable) frustration to carry over and ruin his entire vacation...that would be very sad :(

Archived