Recommended Flightseeingtrips ???

Coadysmom

some choices can depend on your flying experience?? But having done a lot of Alaska flightseeing, my absolute favorite are the glacier helicopter landings. Misty Fjords seaplanes are also excellent. Tough choice, if possible do both, vastly different.

Without fund limitations, a double landing is just excellent, but if this prevents you from other excursions, I recommend a single landing,,, key in Alaska touring is VARIED. :) I have flown with Coastal the most, but all are long standing well run companies. As for Misty Fjords, I have flown with Southeast Aviation, Carlin Air and Island Wings.

Was on the phone earlier with Southeast. He was very nice and informative. But I understood him to say that they only land on the water where maybe? others land on water and let you walk on the land for a bit. Do you have any opinion on the type of landings?

Also, talked with Carlin and Family Air ... will be calling Island this afternoon.

I spoke with Coastal yesterday. Sounds interesting. Our time is limited in Juneau, NLC Star on May 17, 2 pm - 10 pm but I am trying to work in a helicopter tour maybe the shorter one becuase of time restrictions and my husband watching my expenditures.

Thank you again.

OK, thanks. I did ask and was told they only land on the water but do not have the option to walk on the land. So that being said, would you recommend one of the others that does land and allow you to walk around for a while?

Thank you.

Dana

OK, thanks. I did ask and was told they only land on the water but do not have the option to walk on the land. So that being said, would you recommend one of the others that does land and allow you to walk around for a while?

Thank you.

Dana

Does anybody know if Southeast Aviation allows you to walk on land. Penny

Yes, you are right about Island Wings but the boards state that Southeast allows you to land and walk around but after calling them I understood that they only land on water and do not allow "walk arounds". Still wondering is I heard them correctly. ???

We have made reservations with Island Wings for their Misty Fjord flightseeing trip in August. If you want to know details of their trip, call Jarod at 1-888-854-2444. Don't forget about time differences.

Wehavefun

We have flown to Misty Fjords with both Michelle of Island Wings and with Southeast Aviation. On our trip with MIchelle, we did land on small lake and taxi over to small island for about a 15-20 minute break. Very nice scenery, we took lots of pictures of plane, us etc.

With Southeast, we were on the summit which changed its port times and then was delayed even more coming in, but Jim and staff were very good rescheduling us and putting Summit people together on later flts. Our 9:30 became 12, which became 1:00 or 1:30. Flt was nice, but not as long as Island Wings, we landed on long fjord in misty fjords, and stood on pontoons. We were on different sides of plane and could not get good pictures or did we stay more than a few minutes. Now I am not sure if this was because we were rescheduled or what since BQ says they normally stop at an island also. Both are good companies and client oriented. The Southeast flt before ours had seen bears on the shore but he couldn't find them when we came back.

OK. Thank you so much! Southeast's web site does say the flight is 1 1/2 hrs (other are 2 hrs) and when I spoke with who, I guess, was the owner, he did say that they land on the water and preserve the land. Think my decision hs been made.

Feel as if a hugh weight has been lifted from my shoulders!!

I have been in contact with Jim, owner of Southeast Aviation. Here is his reply. :)

"Nice to hear from you again! Incorrect, I tell folks that we always land in Misty and most of the tiime, we do get off on the beach for photos and a short stroll on the beach. Let me reiterate, we always land in Misty. There are times, when we don't get off on the beach, because it is a pristine place and we want to give the vegetation a chance to grow. There are also very few flat beaches that you can take folks, where they won't slip and fall. We will always land in Misty and most of the time we get off on the beach, if we don't do that, we will get out on the floats. I am very thorough about what I tell people and I tell them that we will always land in Misty Fjords. I have appreciated everything that you have done for our company and am sorry that someone has not listened closely to what I said. We operate professional tours and always strive to give folks more than ther monies worth. "

Thank you foir clearing that up for me. I knew he landed but thought it was just on the water and we wanted to walk on the land a little. Sounds very exciting and beautiful. When I spoke with someone the other day, I understood that they were going to be out of town for a few days and figured I could not get in touch with him until he got back. So glad you were able to find him. Thank you for all of your help. This is prefect.

Wehavefun

Just to be clear, in addition to what Jim says for Southeast, the island that Michelle used for us was very small, about 50'x30'. We were there just long enough to stretch our legs, take pictures, get water for her dog and headed back. So no major hikes, but it is nice.

And how come Jim is in Hawaii when we aren't?

BQ has magical ways of knowing and getting info. Yes, he is the fortunate one now. Talked to him the day he was leaving to go to Kauia and told him the highlight of my trip there was the "doors for helicopter" ride...suggested that he take all steps to take this tour. At least I'm having great memories. We were on one of the islands and my DH turns to me and says "I miss my 3 P's." I asked him what he meant? 3 P's? He said "The 2 poodles and my pickup." Well. what can I say, we have 2 poodles, "our babies", and yes, we live in Texas.

JohnQ -- that is all I want. A few minutes to step out of the plane and get some good pics. Thank you.

Archived