Which ship to Alaska?

Zelindar

I am planning an early June 2012 trip for 7 adults (38 to 75) and one 4 year old and found the itinerary that looks great. We think leaving out of Vancouver is preferable (Volendam or Zuiderdam) but would sail out of Seattle if the Westerdam offers the best cruise.

We don't need water slides, climbing walls or bars that stay open all night. We aren't formal people but clean up well before dinner. No tuxes or dresses for us. Kids are ok but we prefer them in smaller numbers and quieter is better than loud and obnoxious. :-)

What kinds of activities are offered on these 3 Holland ships? Besides culinary and the photo editing area? (forget exactly what it's called). I don't expect a golf course but are there any real activities? We aren't thrill seekers but we want to do more than read or play cards all day. Is Holland for us? We usually make our own fun but do want some choices.

Reviews for all 3 ships are all over the place so I can't get a good feel for

each. When were they last refurbed or refitted? How are room sizes?

If we pass on Holland the other cruise line that's on our list is Princess but the passenger number jumps to 2600 and the older folks may not like the longer walking distances to everything or crowd size.

Am I making this choice too complicated?

I can't compare the ships for you, but sounds like HAL should meet your needs. We have only cruised a long trip with them (30day) and I'm sure the shorter trips will be very different. Consider taking a cruisetour so you get some land time too - there are several great places to see by just adding 3-4 days onto your tirp. We did a Princess cruisetour with a group of 13 ages 5-72 and everyone had a great time.

I don't expect a golf course but are there any real activities? We aren't thrill seekers but we want to do more than read or play cards all day. Is Holland for us? We usually make our own fun but do want some choices.

Alaska is much more about the ports and activites onshore than about what the ship offers in "activities". You need to decide the ports you want (based mostly on the onshore experiences you want) and then pick the ship that gives you the best and longest port times in the ports.

Sailing out of Seattle will get you to Sitka. You miss a lot of very scenic cruising by going up the west side of Vancouver Island (which is the usual route for ships out of Seattle). You will get to Victoria (probably) on your return to Seattle, but that is a pretty short stop, usually 6 pm or so to midnight. Not a great deal of opportunity to do much in Victoria.

Sailing out of Vancouver gets you to Skagway, and a longer port time in Ketchikan, usually. You get more scenic cruising sailing between the mainland and Vancouver Island vs the Seattle departure. You don't get to Sitka :(

Only you can decide just how important the ship is, but for me, I've taken some real "tubs" (doing their last few runs before being sold, and not having been refurbished in YEARS) and still find Alaska awe inspiring, breathtaking, soul-touching. We are usually hanging on the Promenade Deck railing, gasping with delight at nature's show.

As for the activities offered, IMHO the Alaska itin has very few "organized" activities -- most of the action is outside, seeing the eagles, seals, whales, dolphins, and the amazing land. IIRC they do offer wine tastings :) and trivia (I think) and some movies. Likely a talk or two by a local expert on the wildlife and the geography and historical way of life.

I am planning an early June 2012 trip for 7 adults (38 to 75) and one 4 year old and found the itinerary that looks great. We think leaving out of Vancouver is preferable (Volendam or Zuiderdam) but would sail out of Seattle if the Westerdam offers the best cruise.

We don't need water slides, climbing walls or bars that stay open all night. We aren't formal people but clean up well before dinner. No tuxes or dresses for us. Kids are ok but we prefer them in smaller numbers and quieter is better than loud and obnoxious. :-)

Reviews for all 3 ships are all over the place so I can't get a good feel for

each. When were they last refurbed or refitted? How are room sizes?

Am I making this choice too complicated?

WELCOME TO CRUISECRITIC!

HAL will provide the quieter ("not loud and obnoxious") experience you seek and will have kids in the

smaller number you are looking for as long as you don't wait too far into June when all schools are out.

When we searched for our first cruise, I read about cabin sizes all over and concluded that HALs

Vista Class ships have the biggest for the money.

Having done both the Oosterdam Alaska from Seattle AND the Zuiderdam Alaska from Vancouver,

we would vote for the Zuiderdam. We are currently booked to repeat it next year.

As was said, the itinerary is more about the ports than shipboard activities but you won't be bored.

For us, Alaska is all about the scenery and we found it much better going out of Vancouver when you are

so close to the shoreline on the north side of Vancouver Island. (See photo.)

Sitka was wonderful (Oosterdam) but so was Skagway (Zuiderdam). Victoria for five hours

(Oosterdam) was silly. Twice that much time would be better.

Hope you have a great cruise on whatever ship you choose.

Cheers!

LOOKAHEAD_0641.jpg

One nice thing about Voledam is that she sets sail midweek. That way she is generally in ports on less crowded days (see one of the webistes that show which ships are in your ports on your days).

DaveOKC

The Volendam and Zuiderdam have one of the best 7 day Alaskan itineraries on any cruise line. It sails the Inside Passage from Vancouver and includes both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay.

The Volendam is a smaller ship that sails mid-week. The Zuiderdam is a Vista class ship that sails on Saturday.

I would choose either of these ships/itineraries (I have sailed both of them more than once) for a first-time cruise to Alaska.

B

We just got back from Alaska on Volendam, midweek departure from Vancouver was great only one other ship left from Canada Place that day and we were alone in Juneau. The longer port times was the reason we chose this itinerary. You have misbehaved people no matter where you sail, but I have seen fewer on HAL, thank goodness. There was over 1500 pax on this ship and 160 kids aged 3 to 17. Even with 10% kids they are busy doing their own thing and I feel much better traveled and/or behaved. Balcony cabins are more expensive because there are fewer. But if you have a port balcony you can't see the whales on the starboard side. I liked being on bow and seeing both sides or moving quickly to catch glimpse, but that's me and I'd rather save the $$ and cruise more often..

Hello Zelindar,

I am writing this from my cabin on the Zuiderdam, which I boarded today. :D I have the Explorers for today and tomorrow handy if you'd like me to list some specific activities....please specify what you're looking. They range from fitness classes to mixology classes to gambling classes to movies to many things in between. I'd be glad to help if you're interested in Zuiderdam's itinerary.

Thanks everyone. We booked the Volendam for May 30, 2012. Good thing we did because triple rooms were already had to come by! I know we'll love it!

You won't regret it. We sailed on her this May and it was the best!

I am just getting ready for my second Alaska trip. As far as interary goes, I would recommend leaving Vancouver for the trip all the way up to Seward or vice versa instead of the 7 day round trip out of Seattle. We are doing the Seattle round trip this year for two reasons, ease for my relatives to not have to travel out of country embark and disembark ship and the ship goes to Sitka, a place I really want to visit. The itinerary except for Sitka is not the best. We arrive or depart some ports (thankfully not Sitka) at unusual hours. Also this itinerary does not go to Skagway or Glacier Bay. For first time cruisers, I would recommend visiting those locations.

JOhn

Archived