Kennedy Space Center

I met some friends at Port Canaveral and took them to the Space Center. If I remember, the venues are pretty handicapped accessible, but there is a lot of walking involved. There is a bus tour that is 2.5 hours, included. Here is the link to their ADA info:

http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/ada-information.aspx

They do have a senior rate, but if you are taking a ships tour, I suspect your admission is included...EM

If you have a wheelchair or scooter, it is very accessible to either of these.

No, I don't. I am pretty mobile until we get to long distances. I managed to go to New York City with the bus trip the church I work for put on... I was able to walk 8 blocks - it wasn't pretty by any means, but I survived!

Are there places to sit for a break?

Why not do just what is easy for you? There is an IMAX theatre -- approx. 45 minutes -- wonderful movie. A demonstration hall right there -- another 45 minutes, a wonderful bus ride around the area -- over an hour, a gift shop and you've had a wonderful day with no real walking. I'd call the center and see what you could do without any real walking. We've been there two times and I know it's doable. Vicki

Why not do just what is easy for you? There is an IMAX theatre -- approx. 45 minutes -- wonderful movie. A demonstration hall right there -- another 45 minutes, a wonderful bus ride around the area -- over an hour, a gift shop and you've had a wonderful day with no real walking. I'd call the center and see what you could do without any real walking. We've been there two times and I know it's doable. Vicki

Sounds perfect! Thank you!!

• 2 months later...

I took the space center tour this year in my large scooter, and I couldn't have been happier. There are buses that take you from one place to another, and they just lifted me up with my scooter on to every bus. Sweet!

Same thing happened in the IMAX theater. There was a special lift for scooters. It couldn't have been better.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that you can rent scooters there if you don't want to use a wheelchair. But I did notice that wheelchairs were available for people to use at every bus stop. If all places were as handicapped-accessible as the space center, travel would be a lot more fun for people like us.

Archived