America's Cup Regatta

Wayfairers

:eek:

Did the America's Cup off the NCL Sun this past January, and loved it. BTW, I'm in my late 50's, active and in fairly good shape, but not a gym rat by any means.

I should preface this by saying that I've sailed all my life, and followed the America's cup religiously. It's my NASCAR. The boats that are sailed here are the ones I've watched and followed, and to me they represent the best of America's cup racing (as opposed to what's going on now - but that's a different subject). I've always longed to get a chance to sail on one, so for me, this was a great opportunity.

Your group will have all kinds and all ages of people in it. Everyone is assembled at pier side, and at some point they divide you up into crews for the different boats. They try to keep parties and groups together on the same boats, and also to have enough different ages and skills for each boat. They ask about sailing experience, but it's not required at all.

On the tender out to the sailboats, the captain will explain the various duties and positions, and assign people to them. Some of the positions (like bartender or mainsail trimmer) require almost no work. Some of them, like "grinders" (the guys who provide the manpower to run the winches that control the sails) require some bursts of fairly strenuous activity, with spaces in between to rest up.

I ended up on one of the jib sheet grinders, which are the hardest working positions on the boat. There are four people running the jib sheet grinders, and two people running the main sheet grinders. There are 3 AC Staff crew members, one of whom Captains and steers. The other two each work one side of the boat, handling the ropes on the jib sheet winches and calling out orders to the grinders.

BTW, it's worth noting that these AC staff crew members are often younger professional sailors on the racing circuit, working their way up through the ranks. They know their stuff.

Once out at the boats (if you're not on the first sailing of the day), there's a little dancing around while the first crew gets off and onto the tender, and your crew gets on. Everyone gets put in their assigned places, and there's a safety lecture, because there are definitely some things on these boats that can hurt you if you put your hand down in the wrong place at the wrong moment.

Then the grinders all get some practice to learn how to work the winches. You have to grind in two different directions as the gears are changed on the winches.

After everyone's settled into their jobs, the fun begins. Sails are hoisted (in my case we were the first sail of the day, so we had to help with the hoisting too), and you head out for a standard timed racing start, with all three boats approaching the starting line at once, jockeying for the best position.

Once the race starts, it's definitely a race, and as others have noted, there's a fair amount of pressure on to win. I didn't feel that it was over the top, and for me, it definitely enhanced the experience. It wasn't just a "get out and sail around a bit" type thing. Although you're not using the most powerful sails these boats can carry, the speeds are decently fast. If it's a windy day, the boat will heel over, the water will splash along the decks, and you'll experience some of the most fun that sailing has to offer.

After the finish line is crossed, the crew breaks out beer and water, and there's the pesky speedboat with the cameraman in it, trying to find the best spot to take a group photo. You tie up back on the mooring, sails are lowered, and the dance to put the next crew in the boat begins again.

The tenders take you back (of course) to the AC store on shore, where you can buy those photos, and other gifts. Some AC boat excursions apparently include a meal, which is served at the store.

All in all, I'd say it's a great experience for anyone, with any level of interest in sailing. I had a great time, and it could only have been improved if I could have had a minute at the wheel, to actually steer and sail the boat.

BTW, we (the Canada 2 boat) won our race that day. Whoo Hoo!

What you said!

To me it was the best excursion I have ever done.

The only difference, we had the bar open from the beginning, and some of the sailing did interfere with my beer drinking.:eek:

I was the main sail trimmer, on the True Blue, and we beat the Stars and Stripes.

What a great experience.:cool:

:eek:

What you said!

To me it was the best excursion I have ever done.

The only difference, we had the bar open from the beginning, and some of the sailing did interfere with my beer drinking.:eek:

I was the main sail trimmer, on the True Blue, and we beat the Stars and Stripes.

What a great experience.:cool:

Actually, you're right, the bar was open from the start. I just didn't do any drinking until after the race.

When I saw this excursion on the HAL list at St. Maarten I thought " this would be cool." Thanks to Video Tech expert review it is now in our excursion basket. This is some thing my DH has only dreamed of. Thanks for give us one more thing to cross off our bucket list when this cruise is done!:D

• 3 weeks later...

Another question, this time about shoes. The excursion info says "Wear comfortable, rubber-soled shoes." Are flip flops acceptable then you take them off onboard and are barefooted? That is what I normally do on all boats except cruise ships.

Another question, this time about shoes. The excursion info says "Wear comfortable, rubber-soled shoes." Are flip flops acceptable then you take them off onboard and are barefooted? That is what I normally do on all boats except cruise ships.

I think that would be OK.

But, be aware that once the sails start swinging and people are working, and the boat lists, you might get bounced and someone might bounce upon one of your feet.

thanks once again Johneeo! lol.... we've experienced that bouncing and listing before... in fact, one sail boat listed so much that DH and I slid across the deck to the other side of the boat and had to catch ourselves on the ropes! Always an adventure......

We are going to some amazing ports on this cruise and I think sailing in the America's Cup Regatta on the day before we head across the Atlantic will be the perfect start to the trip!

thanks once again Johneeo! lol.... we've experienced that bouncing and listing before... in fact, one sail boat listed so much that DH and I slid across the deck to the other side of the boat and had to catch ourselves on the ropes! Always an adventure......

We are going to some amazing ports on this cruise and I think sailing in the America's Cup Regatta on the day before we head across the Atlantic will be the perfect start to the trip!

Best excursion ever, bar none.;)

• 5 months later...

We enjoyed this excursion. It isn't one I would repeat several times, but a wonderful experience. Our boat won! The bar was open the entire time and we actually ran out of beer. I was a primary grinder and my husband was a main grinder. It really wasn't hard work.... We started grinding when we were told and it was always a fairly short stint followed by sitting back and relaxing until it was time to grind again. We had great weather during the sail followed by a short rain when we got back to the store/office. Luckily there was room for us all to stand inside until the rain passed.

Edited by Wayfairers

My DH and I did this excursion in 2008 if I remember correctly and we still mark it as absolutely one of the best we've ever done!!! We are going back in March and we are strongly considering doing it again. Neither of us are "nautically inclined" but we absolutely loved it!!!! An experience of a lifetime (especially when your boat wins like ours did).

I don't think you would have time to do both....I decided to do the regatta this trip and save the Maho/airport bar for the next visit based upon several people who had done both telling me there isn't enough time. And, truthfully, I didn't want to deal with having to get to the bar and back to the ship while worrying about time.

My ship leaves at 5:00. Will I have time to do the 11:45 regatta, and still be able to go to Maho/airport to check out the planes?

If there was a water ferry service or excursion by sea from the port or town I would say yes. Unfortunately I don't think there is one as of yet. I think that you could do it but you would probably only get to stay for a half hour before heading back. Then again the construction is set to resume in February so I would keep an eye on this board for information regarding the traffic situation on this route. I have a feeling that you may be spending too much time in traffic for this to be worth it.

Edited by Karysa

I actually did this excursion a long time ago, but don't remember alot of details on it, other than we had fun. We are now going to St. Martin again later this month, and I have a question.

We have a 7 and 5 year old boy going along. Too young for this? Any kids on anyone's race?

Thanks

From their website:

Age Considerations -

The minimum age is twelve years old: however, there are some young people, typically in a sailing family who have considerable sailing experience; are well aware of the potential hazards of sailing and have been trained to perform accordingly. In these cases, if the young person is accompanied by their parent, we will be pleased to accept young people to a minimum age of seven.

gary

From their website:

Age Considerations -

The minimum age is twelve years old: however, there are some young people, typically in a sailing family who have considerable sailing experience; are well aware of the potential hazards of sailing and have been trained to perform accordingly. In these cases, if the young person is accompanied by their parent, we will be pleased to accept young people to a minimum age of seven.

gary

Thanks!

I actually did this excursion a long time ago, but don't remember alot of details on it, other than we had fun. We are now going to St. Martin again later this month, and I have a question. We have a 7 and 5 year old boy going along. Too young for this? Any kids on anyone's race?

Thanks

We thoroughly enjoyed this excursion last month. Out of 18 people on each of 3 boats ( 54 people ) there were NO kids. This is an adult excursion requiring balance when the boat heels. If your child suddenly gets scared or falls when the boat heels, it will not be a fun day for him or for anyone else.

Although we've already booked this race, I'm partially disabled and my left leg is not very strong.

Can anyone tell me how you transfer from the tender (from shore) into the sailing vessel? Do you need to climb a ladder? Or, is it a quick hop from one boat to another?

I'm really excited about this excursion (so is DH) and hope I get to race

Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

Although we've already booked this race' date=' I'm partially disabled and my left leg is not very strong.

Can anyone tell me how you transfer from the tender (from shore) into the sailing vessel? Do you need to climb a ladder? Or, is it a quick hop from one boat to another?

Your guidance is greatly appreciated.[/quote']

No ladder, you shall be fine.;)

Although we've already booked this race' date=' I'm partially disabled and my left leg is not very strong.

Your guidance is greatly appreciated.[/quote']

We did this race in Jan 2012, so fun. The transfer is not difficult, you will need to step down into the sail boat and be able to to move from one end to the other, at the end when they take the sail down we all needed to get to the front and sit down. Other than that you will need to brace your self when the boat is tilting (for lack of a better word). It was alot of fun!