I thought Carnival didn't tender?

kelkel2

I swear I read that somewhere, but for the life of me can't find it now. Wherever I read it, the person stated that Carnival did not ever tender to a port and I've never been on a Carnival cruise where we would have to tender so I don't have experience in this. But, is this true? If it is true where do they dock in Grand Cayman? With Princess, that was a tender port. I personally hate tender ports just for the process of getting off the ship...

Yes, they tender in several ports

From Carnival site

What Ports do you tender to?

At certain ports of call, small boats known as tenders are used to transport passengers from the ship to shore. Certain of these tenders may not be accessible to individuals using wheelchairs and mobility scooters, or the status of the tendering process at a particular port under certain weather, sea, swell, current and/or tide conditions may prove difficult for a safe transfer to take place. In each case, it will be the decision of the ship officials to determine, based on their evaluation of safety issues for our guests and crew, whether or not a guest using a wheelchair may board a tender. In order to safely board tenders, guests must be able to take steps and use a collapsible, fold up wheelchair; motorized wheelchairs and mobility scooters cannot be taken on tenders.

Tender:

Belize

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

Cannes, France

Catalina Island, CA

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Kona, HI

Maui (Lahaina), HI

Puerto Montt, Chile

Punta Arenas, Chile

Sitka, AK

St. Barts, FWI

Virgin Gorda, BVI

Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico

Newport, RI

Dominican Republic

What Ports do you tender to? At certain ports of call, small boats known as tenders are used to transport passengers from the ship to shore. Certain of these tenders may not be accessible to individuals using wheelchairs and mobility scooters, or the status of the tendering process at a particular port under certain weather, sea, swell, current and/or tide conditions may prove difficult for a safe transfer to take place. In each case, it will be the decision of the ship officials to determine, based on their evaluation of safety issues for our guests and crew, whether or not a guest using a wheelchair may board a tender. In order to safely board tenders, guests must be able to take steps and use a collapsible, fold up wheelchair; motorized wheelchairs and mobility scooters cannot be taken on tenders.

Tender:

Belize

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

Cannes, France

Catalina Island, CA

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Kona, HI

Maui (Lahaina), HI

Puerto Montt, Chile

Punta Arenas, Chile

Sitka, AK

St. Barts, FWI

Virgin Gorda, BVI

Newport, RI

Dominican Republic

Possible Tender:

Cozumel

Ketchikan, Alaska

Dubrovnik

Katakolon

I swear I read that somewhere, but for the life of me can't find it now. Wherever I read it, the person stated that Carnival did not ever tender to a port and I've never been on a Carnival cruise where we would have to tender so I don't have experience in this. But, is this true? If it is true where do they dock in Grand Cayman? With Princess, that was a tender port. I personally hate tender ports just for the process of getting off the ship...

???? who told you that....and why would they tell you that??

Of course Carnival tenders in Grand Cayman.....and in some other ports.

GC, Belize both have large barrier reefs....can't dock there (not unless they finally build the oft talked about piers or whatever)

Tendering is very fast in GC....short ride to port.....my tip is to get back on board at least an hour before the ship sails...if you wait till the end you may have to be in a long line to reboard the tenders

Tendering in Belize takes longer...but is now done on large/fast boats

They also tender at Half Moon Key ....

all in all I have tendered into GC and Belize various times and it has never been a big deal or a hassle. A lot of people here make such a fuss about it. Just don't expect to be first off or last back on and that way you can avoid the lines.

Oh...and IF you have a "private excursion" just get there early and you will get on the "first tender". No big deal. Think of it as a free boat ride :) Enjoy the beautiful blue water :D

We are looking at booking the Freedom next summer. One of its ports is La Romana, Dominican Republic. This port looks to be in the southern part of the DR. I have little info on that area as it looks like most of the ships port on the northern part of the DR.

Is La Romana also a tender port? Thanks so much

We are looking at booking the Freedom next summer. One of its ports is La Romana, Dominican Republic. This port looks to be in the southern part of the DR. I have little info on that area as it looks like most of the ships port on the northern part of the DR.

Post #3 and 4 lists all tender ports

La Romana is NOT a tender port (despite the inclusion of "Dominican Republic" on the Carnival site as listed above. We definitely docked there on our So. Caribbean cruise on Carnival Destiny in 2008.

I know I read it somewhere, not sure where. It may have been saying that Carnival doesn't tender using their own lifeboats or something. This is why I tried to find it and re read it. However, I couldn't find it and I knew I would get the quick answer here. My husband and I had a "wait, if they don't tender, what do they do in Grand Cayman???" moment> But, like I said I probably read it wrong, but couldn't go back and read it again because I couldn't find it!

Yes, they tender in several ports

From Carnival site

What Ports do you tender to?

At certain ports of call, small boats known as tenders are used to transport passengers from the ship to shore. Certain of these tenders may not be accessible to individuals using wheelchairs and mobility scooters, or the status of the tendering process at a particular port under certain weather, sea, swell, current and/or tide conditions may prove difficult for a safe transfer to take place. In each case, it will be the decision of the ship officials to determine, based on their evaluation of safety issues for our guests and crew, whether or not a guest using a wheelchair may board a tender. In order to safely board tenders, guests must be able to take steps and use a collapsible, fold up wheelchair; motorized wheelchairs and mobility scooters cannot be taken on tenders.

Tender:

Belize

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

Cannes, France

Catalina Island, CA

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Kona, HI

Maui (Lahaina), HI

Puerto Montt, Chile

Punta Arenas, Chile

Sitka, AK

St. Barts, FWI

Virgin Gorda, BVI

Newport, RI

Dominican Republic

In addition to the above you often tender at many other small islands, and occasionally in St. Thomas and St. Martin.

I know I read it somewhere, not sure where. It may have been saying that Carnival doesn't tender using their own lifeboats or something. This is why I tried to find it and re read it. However, I couldn't find it and I knew I would get the quick answer here. My husband and I had a "wait, if they don't tender, what do they do in Grand Cayman???" moment> But, like I said I probably read it wrong, but couldn't go back and read it again because I couldn't find it!

I remember seeing that thread about Carnival not useing the lifeboats to tender like some cruise lines do.

I know I read it somewhere, not sure where. It may have been saying that Carnival doesn't tender using their own lifeboats or something. This is why I tried to find it and re read it.

If you did read that, it was also wrong. Here's a pic of DW getting on a Carnival Spirit lifeboat being used as a tender in Sitka, AK.

DSC_0174.jpg

I remember seeing that thread about Carnival not useing the lifeboats to tender like some cruise lines do.

Life boat or port tender-

It depends on the port and what contract the different cruislines have with the port authorities.

If you did read that, it was also wrong. Here's a pic of DW getting on a Carnival Spirit lifeboat being used as a tender in Sitka, AK.

DSC_0174.jpg

We have been to Sitka twice on the Carnival Spirit.

I agree there are times they use lifeboats to tender.

Used them both times we was there.

No, you read it wrong. It said Carnival is not a LENDER, not TENDER.;)

Really...uhmmm where is the word lender?

Original op question:

I thought Carnival didn't tender?

Archived