Private Tours in Athens

yorkiemomjn

Judy,

If you plans are not set yet, consider arriving to Athens 3 days early (or so).

There is a fantastic 2 day trip from Athens that visits Delphi and more importantly, Meteora. Meteora is a little off the beaten path and rarely visited from cruise ships but it is one of the most special places I have ever visited anywhere. Google Meteora for pictures - a unique place well worth seeing. Than you could still have 1 full day for Athens.

JMO

We've done one pre-cruise stay in Athens and are scheduled to do another next month. We highly recommend staying in the Plaka area where you can walk to the Acropolis and the new Museum or use the little tourist train that runs around the area (you can hop on and off). You don't need a guide for these sites.

On our first stay we booked our private transport to and from airport/pier and an out-of-town group tour through Grayline which gave us a discount as AAA members. For this stay we booked transport and a private tour Spiros who is mentioned above.

I recommend the following website for great tips on everything in Athens: http://www.athensguide.com/

We had a great 2 days in Athens with George the Taxi Driver last November. I found him thru these boards and then read reviews on Trip Advisor and he was all that was promised. His English is nearly perfect and he knows everything about his city. Just google George the Taxi Driver and you wil get his website.

-------------

Helen

Judy,

If you plans are not set yet, consider arriving to Athens 3 days early (or so).

There is a fantastic 2 day trip from Athens that visits Delphi and more importantly, Meteora. Meteora is a little off the beaten path and rarely visited from cruise ships but it is one of the most special places I have ever visited anywhere. Google Meteora for pictures - a unique place well worth seeing. Than you could still have 1 full day for Athens.

JMO

Thank you Paulchili,

Our cruise actually ends in Athens (the Riviera maiden). I will give this info to my husband and hopefully he will agree to stay a little longer in Athens. I googled it and it was fascinating!! :D

Thank you Andee, comcox and Helen! I will check out all your suggestions, too! I love CC and especially the Oceania board! :D

Comcox - I had already discovered the great site you gave me the link for! Loved it! For a hotel, we are still trying to decide between Electra Palace, Athens Gate or the Royal Olympic Hotel. We know what hotel we want in Barcelona at the beginning of the tour, Neri, but I can't get them to return my emails!! :confused:

Thank you Paulchili,

Our cruise actually ends in Athens (the Riviera maiden). I will give this info to my husband and hopefully he will agree to stay a little longer in Athens. I googled it and it was fascinating!! :D

Did you see these pictures?

http://www.google.com/search?q=meteora+greece&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGHP_enUS429US429&prmd=ivnsm&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=GoUkToPLKIa-sAPXysVT&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1718&bih=852

We stayed at the Athens Gate for three days. It's in a great location and was very pleasant. It's worth it to pay a little more for a superior room. We had a view of the Acropolis from our room, which was fabulous.

Have a great trip!

Those other hotels are great, but the Grand Bretagne is our first choice in Athens.

http://www.grandebretagne.gr/

roof2.jpgGrande-Bretagne-Hotel-Acropolis-View.jpg

Even if you don't stay there, you owe yourself a meal at their roof garden for its' "Best in Athens" view of the Acropolis. It literally feels like the acropolis is in your lap. Strangely, it is mid priced when compared to American restaurants, and the food is quite good (although more European than Greek)

The pool at the GB is wonderful too. Heaven, after a hot day of touring......and there is waiter service (cocktails and food), right to your lounge chair!

Grande_Bretagne_pool_Athens.png

Those other hotels are great, but the Grand Bretagne is our first choice in Athens.

Even if you don't stay there, you owe yourself a meal at their roof garden for its' "Best in Athens" view of the Acropolis. It literally feels like the acropolis is in your lap. Strangely, it is mid priced when compared to American restaurants, and the food is quite good (although more European than Greek)

The pool at the GB is wonderful too. Heaven, after a hot day of touring......and there is waiter service (cocktails and food), right to your lounge chair!

Hi Jim & Stan,

I had already checked it out. 350E a night for their lowest priced room is a little steep for us! :)

We will definitely try to have dinner there one night though!

Thanks for the suggestion! Looking forward to meeting you two!!

Judy

http://www.grandebretagne.gr/

roof2.jpgGrande-Bretagne-Hotel-Acropolis-View.jpg

Grande_Bretagne_pool_Athens.png

Thank you, also, Jim and Stan - your advice is superb, thoughtful and most helpful as I have read through the various posts! Much appreciated and thanks for doing this. We are booked at the GB prior to embarkation on the 19th Sept (Nautica).

JimandStan,

Thank you for the wonderful pictures of the Grand Bretnagne. It makes waiting even harder!

RCNsir,

We are also booked there for the night before our Sept 19th cruise. See you then!

Kathie

JimandStan,

Thank you for the wonderful pictures of the Grand Bretnagne. It makes waiting even harder!

RCNsir,

We are also booked there for the night before our Sept 19th cruise. See you then!

Kathie

Is this booking on your own or with Oceania's free night pre cruise?

Hi Paulchili,

The booking is not part of the "free" nite plan thru Oceania (wish it were!). It is thru O because we signed on to this cruise very late (last week) and with the situation in Athens, we think it may be better to use O for the hotel and transfers in case of another taxi strike! Also, when I tried to book the hotel on my own, it was pretty expensive after the conversion and hotel taxes.

Hope things simmer down in Athens - read today that two cruise ships cancelled a stop in Athens because the taxis are blocking the passengers from the tour and excursion buses in the port. Maybe it will straighten our by September (please, please!!)

Kathie

Hi Paulchili,

The booking is not part of the "free" nite plan thru Oceania (wish it were!). It is thru O because we signed on to this cruise very late (last week) and with the situation in Athens, we think it may be better to use O for the hotel and transfers in case of another taxi strike! Also, when I tried to book the hotel on my own, it was pretty expensive after the conversion and hotel taxes.

Hope things simmer down in Athens - read today that two cruise ships cancelled a stop in Athens because the taxis are blocking the passengers from the tour and excursion buses in the port. Maybe it will straighten our by September (please, please!!)

Kathie

I hope you will be safe in Athens (and everywhere else)!

Fair winds and following seas - enjoy your cruise.

I hope you will be safe in Athens (and everywhere else)!

As a daily participant on the Athens forum/board of sister website tripadvisor, I emphasize to all readers here that personal safety in Athens is not an issue for visitors, but rather unexpected strikes and work stoppages, and now these road blockages.

As a daily participant on the Athens forum/board of sister website tripadvisor, I emphasize to all readers here that personal safety in Athens is not an issue for visitors, but rather unexpected strikes and work stoppages, and now these road blockages.

You are right - but watch for the pickpockets; they definitely exist there and most large cities in Europe/S. America (for the most part).

You are right - but watch for the pickpockets; they definitely exist there and most large cities in Europe/S. America (for the most part).

My grandfather kept his folding money tucked inside his truss, and never had a moments worry.....

herniasupport013P.jpgEVER

Ah, for those simpler times ;)

Paulchili,

Thank you for the kind words. I am sure we will be alright, just getting anxious thinking about the "what if's."

JimandStan,

Do you suppose Victoria's Secret sells the woman's version???? We were mugged once, in Paris, so I would accept any suggestion.

Kathie

Do you suppose Victoria's Secret sells the woman's version???? We were mugged once, in Paris, so I would accept any suggestion.

Kathie-

The same grandfather who wore the truss, insisted that we assemble a second "wallet" while still at home. In it, we would put a photocopy (on card stock) of our drivers license, library card, gym membership cards, etc, along with ten or twenty dollars.

The theory was that if we were ever robbed, the thief would not frisk us and we would only lose the dummy wallet.

I've never been robbed, so I'm not sure that it would work, but having that extra twenty dollars on me has been a Godsend several times.

I wish you safe travels, from here on in!

Oh, you meant pickpockets. I never have to worry about them because I wear a bra stash when travelling in southern Europe. I really do not understand why people just do not avail themselves of the many products such as a money belt, bra stash, etc. that enable a carefree land experience. Even putting your water bottle over your wallet in your front pants pocket would help matters.

JimandStan,

What a wise grandfather you had! We had done just that. My husband only had the day's cash and metro tickets in the pocket that was targeted. Of course, what started out as a simple pickpocket act turned into more when one of "bad guys" tried to hold me back when I noticed what was happening in front of my very eyes! All my husband had to see was someone grabbing me and it was all over! They only got 100 euros, the afore mentioned metro tickets and I lost a few nails (the biggest tragedy as far as I was concerned). I also lost a shoe to the metro tracks, but our hotel was right upstairs from the station where a stoli on the rocks and a trip to the safe solved all of our problems.

It was, however, disconcerting when the gandarmes would not take a report and told us that there are no French pickpockets in Paris, they are all Algerians. Little comfort to us.

When we re-examined the situation, we realized that the group had spotted us at the metro ticket counter buying our tickets. Foolishly, my husband put the change in his front pocket. As we attempted to board the metro, someone in front of my husband dropped something and bent to retrieve it causing us to stop and his accomplice reached into the pocket where the $$$ was. Everything went to hell in a handbasket after that, but the lesson was well learned!

Interestingly enough, after the Stoli fortification and we attempted to go on with our plans, a group of young (really young!!) kids on the metro started spraying everyone with water pistols. A local gentleman warned us that they were pickpockets. They travel in bunches hoping to catch you off guard as you wipe the water from your face. Of course, they think that noone would suspect a child!

Also reminds me of the women who walk around Barcelona breast feeding their babies, hoping to draw the attention of everyone (both genders) while they make their move. We had heard of this on the ship, so we were wise to the scam. I think that pickpockets are a very creative bunch!!

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger and it also makes for great stories (which, by the way get better with time!)

Kathie

Thanks for all of the great information you always provide!

CC certainly does provide a great service to us all!

Archived