Need help learning the ropes on Carnival

petesweet

We have sailed on Carnival ships a few times in the past—however, never with the idea of arranging for repeat trips.

DH is now unable to take long road trips and also much prefers smaller ships; so sailing out of Charleston is just the thing for us. I would appreciate tips on how to maximize the repeat trip experience. For example, can I benefit by booking my next cruise while onboard a current cruise? Is there a way to accumulate onboard credit in other ways? I foresee upcoming family cruises and want to make the best decisions. I looked on the Carnival website, but the answers to these questions are not obvious.

Many thanks. Kathy

If you purchase a "Future Cruise Certificate" while on your cruise, you can use it to book a future cruise and earn a free onboard credit. We purchased one on the Carnival Freedom last year and used it to book the Carnival Miracle this year. The $100 deposit we paid for it was applied to the balance and we also got a $100 onboard credit... worth every penny.

I would agree with your Husband, We sailed the Carnival Dream last year and it was a little too big for our taste. It just seemed the same but bigger and much more crowded! Longest buffet lines we ever waited in!

If you purchase a "Future Cruise Certificate" while on your cruise, you can use it to book a future cruise and earn a free onboard credit. We purchased one on the Carnival Freedom last year and used it to book the Carnival Miracle this year. The $100 deposit we paid for it was applied to the balance and we also got a $100 onboard credit... worth every penny.

I would agree with your Husband, We sailed the Carnival Dream last year and it was a little too big for our taste. It just seemed the same but bigger and much more crowded! Longest buffet lines we ever waited in!

Thank you! This is the stuff I need to know. Not much luck on website when I don't even know what to look for.

Anything else?

In terms of accumulating obc, you can book early saver rate for future cruises. It has lots of fine print though and has penalties for canceling that other rates dont have as well as other restrictions but can really help you sock away obc if understand how it works. If you aren't familiar with it, let me know. Long long ago I posted an explanation on another thread that I'll go look for and copy and paste it here for you.

Another option is the Fascination out of Jacksonville FL. It was one of our favorite vacations. We loved the boat, and the size is just right.

As for OBC, like others have said, using FCC is one way, plus using a Carnival CC for your purchases and earning points is another.

We have been using ours for a couple years now,and are looking at what points we will have for our B2B next September.

Best of luck to you. :)

the fcc is one sure way to get at least $50 on board credit on a short 3,4,and 5 day cruise, $75 on a 6 day and $100 on a 7 day cruise. the stock option is a was to get on board credit also but you have to buy 100 shares of stock. both ways save you some money.

For helping with the cost of the cruise, I suggest the following

• The Carnival CC is a great way to build up dollars for using on the cruise. I us it to pay for all things Carnival for double points
  • The Future Cruise Certificates are great for getting some On Board Credit
  • I buy Fun Ship Dollars even payday and it is like a forced cruise savings account.
  • I always book far enough head to get the Early Saver rate. I check for price changes all the time and have saveda couple hundred dollars already. I have about 82 today left and have my finger crossed.

Has for saving money on cruises, I found that going at the less business times is always a cost saver. The period between Thanksgiving and Christmas, middle of September and October and late April to right before Memorial Day has always been good.

Hope this helps and enjoy your future cruises

You might want to consider investing in Carnival stock. If you own 100 shares you get an onboard credit each time you sail. The amount depends on the length of the cruise.

You can also earn OBC's by using a Carnival credit card.

How does using the credit card work for OBC?

How does using the credit card work for OBC?

You accumulate points for all of your purchases then redeem them for OBCs. I think you have to have about 10,000 points to get a $100 OBC, but as someone else said they earn 2 or 3 points for each dollar spent on anything Carnival.

I noticed on my Discover statement today that when I get to 40 reward points I can trade that in for $80 Carnival funship dollars.

Also, you might want to keep an eye here on CC for any official group cruises leaving from Charleston, in addition to being able to book for a reduced deposit they usually also come with some amount of OBC. I think for our upcoming Conquest cruise that OBC is $75, then I've gotten an additional $160 OBC due to price drops.

I have the Carnival Fun Points card and it is 20,000 fun points for a $200 OBC, 12,500 for a $100 OBC and 7,200 for a $50 OBC.

You do get 2 fun points for every dollar spent on Carnival, 1 fun point for dollars spent elsewhere.

When you do the math, it is actually cheaper to buy the stock! :p

Great help from everyone. Thanks. I have cruised a lot, but not so much on Carnival. Since we will have to sail out of Charleston from now on, Carnival will be our regular cruise line. (DH is letting me go with the girls on the Oasis in September without him.)

Kathy

Archived