Were the new crusers!

louva

Hi everyone, Gosh I have so many questions. I hope someone can help me with all my dumb questions. :rolleyes: First question!

1. We are going to Porto Rico, Barbados, St.Lucia, St. John's, St. Maarten, St. Thomas. I have heard that the ship's excursions are not worth it. We would like to snorkel / maybe dive, Swim with the turtles, See monkey and other wonders. Any idea's what to do where? and where would I find other excursions to pre set up if I can?

2. If your out swimming and doing things where you can't bring your money or cameras what do you do with them where there safe?

Oh I know I am such a first timer :D

Hi everyone, Gosh I have so many questions. I hope someone can help me with all my dumb questions. :rolleyes: First question!

1. We are going to Porto Rico, Barbados, St.Lucia, St. John's, St. Maarten, St. Thomas. I have heard that the ship's excursions are not worth it. We would like to snorkel / maybe dive, Swim with the turtles, See monkey and other wonders. Any idea's what to do where? and where would I find other excursions to pre set up if I can?

2. If your out swimming and doing things where you can't bring your money or cameras what do you do with them where there safe?

Oh I know I am such a first timer :D

Check out the Fury in St. Thomas snorkeling to Buck Island. Cost is about half of the cruise excursion and a very good trip. This is a sailboat, and your stuff is fine on the boat.

Wish I could help with all your islands. Unfortunately, I've only been to St. Thomas on your list. Used Godfrey Tours there. Do you have a packing list since it's your first time? Here's one that is pretty complete!

@font-face { font-family: "Courier New"; }@font-face { font-family: "Wingdings"; }@font-face { font-family: "Wingdings"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }.MsoChpDefault { font-size: 10pt; }div.WordSection1 { page: WordSection1; }div.WordSection2 { page: WordSection2; }ol { margin-bottom: 0in; }ul { margin-bottom: 0in; }

Cruise Packing List

The Basic Essentials

Passport!!!

Drivers license

Credit Cards

Phone Cards

Emergency Contact information

Health insurance card

Cruise tickets

Flight tickets

Travelers checks

Copies of travelers checks (3) packed in separate luggage

Photo copies of passport/credit cards

Cellphone/Charger

Cameras/Film

Disposable cameras

Waterproof cameras

Batteries for camera

Extra memory cards

Watch

Sunglasses

Snacks for the plane

Toiletries

Shampoo/Conditioner

Deodorant

Hairspray/Mousse/Gel

Hairbrush/Comb

ChapStick

Lotion/Moisturizer

Makeup

Toothpaste/Brush/Floss

Mouthwash

Shaving Cream

Razor (checked baggage)

Perfume/Cologne

Q-Tips

Sunscreen

Germicidal hand cleaner

Bug Repellant

Small spray bottle

Small first aid kit

*Bandaids

*Antibacterial

ointment

*Tylenol/Motrin

*Moleskin for blisters

*Anti-diarrhea

*Tums/Antacid

*Aloe Vera gel

*Dramamine

*Eye drops

*Tweezers

* Nail Clipper/File

Cabin Items

Post-It notes

Curling Iron

Air Freshener

Alarm clock

Extension Cord

Bungee cord

Over-door Shoe holder

(to hold shoes and essentials)

Nightlight

Miscellaneous

Rain Gear

Duct tape

Reading material

Journal

Ziplock bags

Stain stick

Scuba Mask/Snorkel/Fins

Beach towels

Crushed dog biscuits (to feed/attract fish at the beach) or dry cereal

Travel iron

Hat/Visor

Tote bag or backpack

Fanny pack

Pre-Packaged snacks

Binoculars

CD player/batteries

MP3 player/charger

Thermal insulated bag

Insulated Cup to keep frozen drinks cold

Cable ties

Corkscrew

Cabin door decoration

Chlorox Wipes

For ladies

Panty hose

Sanitary items

Jewelry

Formal outfits (2)

Casual Clothes

Dress shoes

Cover-up

Clear deodorant

For Gentlemen

Suit and tie (2 formal

nights)

Casual clothes

Dress shoes

For Everyone

Sandals/Flip-flops

Walking shoes

Shorts

Long pants, just in case

Pajamas

Swimsuits

For Tours, etc.

Cash Tips for Porter, Tour Director, Taxi, etc.

Money due for all shore excursions

In the Caribbean, the ship's tours are not a bad deal. The ship's tours that are the worst deals are for overseas cruises - such as in Europe. That said, it is easy to do a google search for each island "Barbados shore excursions" and the websites for the tour companies will come up.

Puerto Rico - if you are there at night, go to Biolumenescene Bay. If it is daytime, go ziplining in the rainforest.

Barbados - this is the place to snorkel with turtles. Understand you will not be allowed to wear flippers - they scare the turtles. There are monkeys on Barbados, but usually you don't see them unless you run across a local who has captured one and charges for photos with his monkey. If you decide to do this - don't wear earrings, necklace, sunglasses or anything else the monkey may take a liking to and grab onto.

St.Lucia - take an all day island tour if you can - they have a volcano you can drive through and a great plantation garden, then they should take you by boat to go snorkeling and see the Pitons. The snokeling is pretty decent down on the beach below Anse Chastenet (resort)

St. John - Usually you stop At St. Thomas and take the ferry to St. John. Go to Trunk Bay for snorkeling with a snorkel trail!

http://www.stjohnbeachguide.com/Trunk%20Bay.htm

St. Thomas: Known for Magen's Bay for a beach day. This is where we took a 1 day scuba class - must be free from illnesses such as high blood pressure to take this. If you have never done scuba before, this is a great place to try it out. Otherwise, most people simply take a taxi into town and go shopping and eat lunch by the water and oogle the amazing yachts!

St. Maarten: Easiest place to get to the beach. Walk down the pier, turn left, walk onto the water taxi stand, buy bracelets for the day and take the water taxi right over to the town and beach. You can shop, relax on the beach, hit the bars - whatever strikes your fancy. Alternatively, head for Orient Beach where you can snorkel. Remember St. Maarten's time is an hour earlier than the ship's time - be sure you know what time it is on St. Maarten. If you are doing a tour, it will leave at St. Maarten's local time. If you buy a ship's tour, the tickets will tell you the correct time to meet per ships time - which may vary from what is on your schedule that you print from the cruiseship's website.

I think it's a good idea for first time cruisers to book at least a few of the ship's tours. Until you get 'into the swing' of cruising and get comfortable about going off on your own, you have the safety net of the ship sponsored tours being sure the ship doesn't leave without you.

We are very experienced cruisers and still sometimes would do a ship's tour rather than our own.

Sometimes saving a few dollars can be very costly.

I whole heartedly agree that as a beginning cruiser, take the ship sponsored excursions. As was said, if you're late for whatever reason, the ship will wait for you. :) If you are onyour own & have mechanical problems or any other problem that gets you back late, the ship will have gone :eek:; and left you.

I think it's a good idea for first time cruisers to book at least a few of the ship's tours. Until you get 'into the swing' of cruising and get comfortable about going off on your own, you have the safety net of the ship sponsored tours being sure the ship doesn't leave without you.

We are very experienced cruisers and still sometimes would do a ship's tour rather than our own.

Sometimes saving a few dollars can be very costly.

GREAT ADVICE!!

also check out the PORTS OF CALL boards for your ports and check your cruiseline for excursions offered.

ENJOY:)

We are snorkelers and do our own thing. Go to beaches, not boats, to snorkeling spots. We only take a few $$$ ashore, a credit card and throw a way camera. The camera is an underwater one so I can take pictures snorkeling or above water. Leave your good camera on the ship if you are not going to have it with you all the time you are ashore. We leave everything in our beach bag on the beach. Jamacia is the only place we had someone watch our stuff. On any snorkeling by boat it is fine to leave it on the boat.

Irishvisions must take a trunk with all the things he lists. WE have been cruising since the 80's, 60-70 cruises so far (we are now retired!) and cruise 7 days with two carry on size suitcases. On a lot of ships VERY few dress for formal nights now. My husband takes 2 or 3 pairs of Dockers. Who is going to know/realize he wore those pants two nights ago? He does not need 7 pairs of pants! He takes shoes for day time amnd shoes for nighttime. We very rarely take my gown and his tux. I take white heels and navy heels for night time and sandlels and beach water shoes for daytime.

They say to put everything on your bed then take 1/2 of it. But with all our cruises we still bring something we didn't wear home!

You will take more than you need but don't worry about that. After many, many cruises you won't take as much but will still take something you won't wear!

Jst have fun!

After visiting St Maarten many times and leaving way too much $$ in the jewelry shops, we decided to take a tour and found Bernard's Tours. He offers a great tour which includes: Photo stop at Oyster Pond over looking the island of St Barths; about 2 hrs at Orient Beach; stop at Marigot open market (French Capital); Sunset Beach bar ( Maho Beach ) where you can see the planes land right over your head - VERY COOL (check out You Tube for some videos); Cayhill overlooking Simpson Bay marina AND Great Bay overlooking Phillipsburg and harbor. Tour was only $40 per person - we were picked up right at the pier - they had drinks in the van - water, soda, beer. It was really a great day and I'd highly recommend him.

Marianne

In St Martins we always spend the day watching the airplanes, DH's favorite spot on earth. As for the others I also suggest checking out the Ports threads where you will get lots of ideas and prices. You can then compare to the ship's prices. Don't forget to join your roll call where you may be able to join some of your fellow more experienced cruisers on some excursions.

Just so you know, Orient beach in St. Maartin is a nude beach. But cabs usually drop you off where most bathers are clothed but you can still see nude men & women who are just walking the beach.

We take the local buses (large vans) in St. Maartin to the beaches, Marginot, the French capitol or just to see the island. However the local buses do not go to Orient beach.

Just so you know, Orient beach in St. Maartin is a nude beach. But cabs usually drop you off where most bathers are clothed but you can still see nude men & women who are just walking the beach.

We take the local buses (large vans) in St. Maartin to the beaches, Marginot, the French capitol or just to see the island. However the local buses do not go to Orient beach.

Just so you know, Club Orient at the southern most end is the nude beach.

We were on Orient, specifically in June at Orange Fever, and we did not see a single bit of nudity.

Somewhat disappointing.

Welcome to the world of cruising. I bet you will get hooked, like the rest of us.

Re safeguarding stuff while snorkeling, we use AquaBoxes - little plastic fanny packs which are watertight. We wear them right into the water. Carry our room keys and some cash. Disposable underwater camera just stays on my wrist. That's about all I take - if I leave sunblock, comb, hat on my beach towel and they get nabbed (has never happened), it's not the end of the world.

St. Maarten has a beautiful, clean beach within walking distance of the port. Just walk through the "market" at the port, and follow the sidewalk to town. 15-minute walk, and a wonderful beach, plus lots of cafes and stalls, if you want them. No need to book a tour.

Celebrity should be a wonderful cruise. Enjoy every minute!

The roll call is here on the 'boards' of cruisecritic. You click on your cruise line then your ship. Then look for the date you are sailing. This is where you'll find others going on the same cruise. You can email each other for questions, answers, tours to take together, etc., etc. Usually a Meet & Greet is planned. This is when everyone on the Roll Call - or most- get together and meet each other.

Louva, I know you will have a great time. We have done Carib. several times and loved Celebrity. Here is a suggestion that works for us: assuming you will be packing a suitcase apiece, put half of your items in one and half in the other, and vice versa. That way, should one "wander" and not show up on the baggage carousel at airport, you will still have at least something to wear. I like to divide up the formal/informal/business casual etc. among the two checked bags and also some of each "type" apparel in the carryons. Also, you probably know this but it bears repeating, DO NOT put anything essential in a checked bag, such as prescriptions, lenses, camera, IDs, etc.

Bon voyage!:)

Archived