New Camera Suggestions

Megan07

Dave

I got my camera! It's smaller than I thought it would be. I got it as I was leaving for work. Can't wait to get home, charge it and play with it!

Spend some time playing with the modes. I really like the Hand-held Twilight for low light. You still have to take care and hold the camera as still as possible (and hold it still until it stops taking all six images), but it does a terifficjob of low light capture.

Sweep Panorama takes some practice but once you get the hang of it, it will amaze you at how easy it is to get a good pano. (It even takes out extra ghost images of people walking while you sweep the scene!)

Have fun and post some images!

Dave

Spend some time playing with the modes. I really like the Hand-held Twilight for low light. You still have to take care and hold the camera as still as possible (and hold it still until it stops taking all six images), but it does a terifficjob of low light capture.

Sweep Panorama takes some practice but once you get the hang of it, it will amaze you at how easy it is to get a good pano. (It even takes out extra ghost images of people walking while you sweep the scene!)

Have fun and post some images!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Got the Sony and it is great. Wish you were here to explain some of the features. I downloaded the manual so am making my way through it. When you are viewing pictures taken, how do you get it to go to the last picture taken? It seems to go anywhere, not to the last shot. This is different than our other camera and not so convenient to checking the last shots especially when on vacation and lots of shots taken.

Lindy

Hi Dave,

Got the Sony and it is great. Wish you were here to explain some of the features. I downloaded the manual so am making my way through it. When you are viewing pictures taken, how do you get it to go to the last picture taken? It seems to go anywhere, not to the last shot. This is different than our other camera and not so convenient to checking the last shots especially when on vacation and lots of shots taken.

Lindy

Me too but I'm just playing and things are fine. I need to download the manual as I also have questions re the display of pictures taken. Trying to post some pics but system will not let me!

Hi Dave,

Lindy

As far as I know, when you press the review button, by default it goes to the last shot taken and you can move between them using RIGHT and LEFT on the four-way controller. You might try pressing the display button ("UP" on the four-way control) to switch between viewing modes. One of the modes is calendar and I have never seen the use of that one...maybe that's the one you're seeing?

Play with the setting all you want. If it gets screwed up, go to page 95 in the manual and reset to default using "Initialize".

Dave

As far as I know, when you press the review button, by default it goes to the last shot taken and you can move between them using RIGHT and LEFT on the four-way controller. You might try pressing the display button ("UP" on the four-way control) to switch between viewing modes. One of the modes is calendar and I have never seen the use of that one...maybe that's the one you're seeing?

Play with the setting all you want. If it gets screwed up, go to page 95 in the manual and reset to default using "Initialize".

Dave

It seems to be working. You are awesome!!

Lindy

First experiments with Sony Cybershot DSC5XV.

Not too thrilled with image crispness using auto setting. People pics seem to be fine.

Try setting the focus area to center or spot. Wide area sometimes chooses the focal point badly. Th people pics come out better in wide mode because of face detection.

Dave

Edited by pierces

Try setting the focus area to center or spot. Wide area sometimes chooses the focal point badly. Th people pics come out better in wide mode because of face detection.

Dave

Thanks--I am just downloading the manual--I knew it had to be due to the wide angle lens that I need to get used to! You are right about the twilight mode and panorama modes being fabulous.

Dave

That solves the problem! Nice crisp images now. I've become a very lazy photographer....

Edited by Alaskanb

That solves the problem! Nice crisp images now. I've become a very lazy photographer....

I don't know much about photography. What setting do I use to achieve the best crisp non-people images? Also, is it possible to develop a panorama shot or just to replay? I continue to read and practice. It may take the 2 months I have before the cruise.

Lindy

I don't know much about photography. What setting do I use to achieve the best crisp non-people images?

I used the P setting and then adjusted the focus, via the menu, to it's smallest range. I'm wondering how it will deal with shots when whale watching. I detest not having a printed manual and will probably create something to haul around.... lots to experiment with on this camera.

Also, is it possible to develop a panorama shot or just to replay?

Haven't tried that yet

I continue to read and practice. It may take the 2 months I have before the cruise.

I'm glad I have until next May to get proficient LOL!!!

So glad we have this board to ask questions.

Edited by Alaskanb

I have printed my own manuals for both my cameras from the downloaded software. It does burn some ink but so worth it to me; I print them so there is enough empty space on the pages for making notations. It's so much easier for me to have a printed manual than reading on the computer. I understand you can also order them on line somewhere.

The HX5V dropped to $189 at Amazon. Only 6 left so I got one. Drove over to Maunalua Bay after work and watched the canoe paddlers working out as the sun went down.

paddlers.jpg

Same bay panorama

DSC00008.jpg

Edited by rockfsh

• 2 weeks later...

Very Nice Panoramic! I tried to do one, but couldn't hold my hand straight and steady while moving the camera :( I'll keep trying. I took some pictures in my Grandma's yard, and they turned out good. We had a nice storm the other day, and I tried to capture lightening, but I don't know how to and I don't know a thing about setting my own speeds. Any advice?

Very Nice Panoramic! I tried to do one, but couldn't hold my hand straight and steady while moving the camera :( I'll keep trying. I took some pictures in my Grandma's yard, and they turned out good. We had a nice storm the other day, and I tried to capture lightening, but I don't know how to and I don't know a thing about setting my own speeds. Any advice?

Try holding the camera about a foot in front of you, use the grid overlay to align the horizon, then twist at the waist and hips to where you want to start and use your body to move the camera across the scene while you concentrate on holding the camera level.

For lightning, set your burst mode to the low (2/sec) or mid (5/sec) setting. and set your camera to M (manual) mode. If it is night time, set it to 1 sec at the lowest aperture setting (f/3.5). If it is cloudy-dark but still daylight, set it to 1/60. Estimate the time from one strike to the next and when you think it is time, hold the shutter down and let the camera shoot continuously for a few seconds. Chances of capturing a strike are still not assured, but they are a lot better! The settings are a starting point. Review your shots and adjust the shutter speed up or down as needed to get a good exposure.

Dave

Edited by pierces

• 5 years later...

Now on my second Canon power shot camera and they have been great, easy to use cameras that have served me well. But-- I am an expert of taking pictures of poles and signs. While on bus tours, I click to take a picture and by the time my camera focuses I get the pole in the middle of my picture.

Would like recommendation for easy to use Canon camera ( not pricey or complicated one) that I can use to take pictures while I am on bus tours, taking action pics of kids soccer games or even of moving animals on an Africa safari.

Edited by plymouthcruiser

Now on my second Canon power shot camera and they have been great, easy to use cameras that have served me well. But-- I am an expert of taking pictures of poles and signs. While on bus tours, I click to take a picture and by the time my camera focuses I get the pole in the middle of my picture.

Would like recommendation for easy to use Canon camera ( not pricey or complicated one) that I can use to take pictures while I am on bus tours, taking action pics of kids soccer games or even of moving animals on an Africa safari.

Sticking with Canon cameras - you my want to look at a so-called 'bridge' camera. These have a good zoom range [wide to tele], brighter lenses [focus a touch faster] and mostly have electronic viewfinders [fine aiming].

I did a camera feature search over on dpreview and there were several possibilities from Canon's 'S' and 'G' series cameras [the 'G' series are the fancier ones]

Action and safari are among the more challenging types of photography. A easy-to-use budget camera (whether Canon or any other brand) won't likely be any better than you are currently shooting with.

The Canon G3x may be a step up from what you're currently using, but it runs $900.

Essentially, you are looking at bridge cameras and power zooms... they tend to have slow lenses in addition to being relatively slow cameras.

You can look at something like the Canon SX720 for around $370, but it will likely have the same issues as your current camera.