Embarcation lunch MDR

scdreamer

In theory, yes. But the reality is that on occasion the lunch is restricted to certain Mariner star levels or to those given printed invitations at checkin. Well, and sometimes the ship is hosting a luncheon for travel industry people and everyone gets turned away. Just depends.

Correct -- on our last cruise -- the main dining room was closed because Marvin Hamlish was hosting a special musical lunch. They opened it late -- but by then most people had gone elsewhere to eat.

We are 4 star Mariners -- and since this new program began -- we have never been given an invitation. We just go and show up and see what the situation is.

A couple of times it was closed completely because of TA's being hosted to a special lunch and tour of the ship.

Correct -- on our last cruise -- the main dining room was closed because Marvin Hamlish was hosting a special musical lunch. They opened it late -- but by then most people had gone elsewhere to eat.

We are 4 star Mariners -- and since this new program began -- we have never been given an invitation. We just go and show up and see what the situation is.

A couple of times it was closed completely because of TA's being hosted to a special lunch and tour of the ship.

I don't cruise nearly as often as you, but we also were turned away.

Maybe it's time for HAL to reconsider whether this should be listed as a Mariner benefit, as the offering seems to vary ship to ship and sailing to sailing. Please, HAL, don't promise what can't/won't be delivered on a consistent basis.

I don't cruise nearly as often as you, but we also were turned away.

Maybe it's time for HAL to reconsider whether this should be listed as a Mariner benefit, as the offering seems to vary ship to ship and sailing to sailing. Please, HAL, don't promise what can't/won't be delivered on a consistent basis.

I agree! Princess also likes to say it's dining room is open for lunch but many times there is an excuse. It's tiresome.

I agree! Princess also likes to say it's dining room is open for lunch but many times there is an excuse. It's tiresome.

Yes, we also were turned away from the Princess dining room ... staff said it was only for those on the previous T/A sailing continuing on to the Carib. It was disappointing.

From what I understand everyone who books a HAL cruise gets a Mariner number. It's the way HAL identifies you. If you have a previous cruise on other Carnival Corp ships you may have what they call VIP status. To quote HAL

"Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding benefits for guests who have sailed on one of our sister company cruise lines. Cruises taken on other cruise lines are not combinable with Holland America Line cruise histories. Only sailings on Holland America Line will count towards your Mariner Star Level. When you sail on one of the Worlds Leading Cruise Line Alliances you are automatically enrolled in the Vacation Interchange Program, VIP. The Worlds Leading Cruise Line Alliance includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Seabourn Cruise Line.

As a VIP you will receive the same benefits as our Star Mariner members. You will be entitled to the following benefits:

* Welcome Back Embarkation Lunch in the dining room (from 12:00pm to 1:30pm) as well as an invitation to the Mariner Champagne Brunch

* A special collectible gift presented to you on board

* E-version of Mariner Magazine

* Invitations to special sailings hosted by a representative of the Mariner Society

* Special offers on select sailings

* A 50% cruise fare discount on the 3rd/4th guest staying in your stateroom on select sailings

When you accrue 30 or more days you will start to see additional discounts and amenities as your Star level?s increase. For complete details regarding the Star levels and benefits please log onto www.hollandamerica.com. On the home page in the lower left corner click on Mariner Society. When the Overview page comes up click on Benefits. "

and so sayith HAL

By definition, a HAL Mariner used to be a cruiser who has completed one HAL cruise.

Is that no longer the case?

We have been handed an invitation to the lunch several times but have never gone. It is our choice to go to Lido but I agree there are times when I've known the dining room was unavailable to Mariners because of other events HAL scheduled. Several times there were charity benefit events, TA luncheons and whatever. Many Mariners were disappointed.

For us, it didn't matter.

DH and I are traveling with a daughter and an aunt this time.

Should we go to the Mariners embarkation lunch without them, or are first timers sometimes allowed to dine with you anyway?

I wouldn't even try it if it's full, but I'd hate to sit down to lunch after showing them to the Lido and then finding out they could have joined us.

The Mariners Embarkation Lunch has no connection whether one is in a Deluxe Veranda Suite or not. It's about being a Mariner, not about being in a Suite.

I've read here some ships are limiting the Embarkation Lunch to three or four star mariners in cases where there are a great many Mariners booked for a particular cruise. I don't know that first hand but have seen it written here.

As to lunching with traveling companions who are on their first HAL cruise, I would suggest going to the dining room and asking.

We did the same cruise on the Eurodam 2 years in a row. In 2009 the Mariner's embarkation lunch had just started and they were seating anyone who appeared at the MDR entrance for the lunch.

Last year we went to the MDR after boarding and we were told it was open only to Mariner's 3 stars and above.

I agree that HAL should not list this as a benefit for ALL Mariners in their literature if they are going to turn away Mariners below a certain star level OR if they are going to make this available to anyone.

We did the same cruise on the Eurodam 2 years in a row. In 2009 the Mariner's embarkation lunch had just started and they were seating anyone who appeared at the MDR entrance for the lunch.

Last year we went to the MDR after boarding and we were told it was open only to Mariner's 3 stars and above.

I agree that HAL should not list this as a benefit for ALL Mariners in their literature if they are going to turn away Mariners below a certain star level OR if they are going to make this available to anyone.

I completely agree. I just would hate to come into a half full dining room and realize that leaving them out was a mistake because of my penchant for following the rules. My Aunt is 70+, single and retired on a limited income, so the odds of her going on another cruise is slim. And, she will be accompanied by eligible passengers. I can see where someone didn't read everything before taking their first cruise and showed up unawares, that would be the fault of the crew if they were allowed.

They shouldn't be able to turn away Mariners under a certain level, since this perk is advertised clearly with no exceptions mentioned. If they absolutely cannot accomodate one or two star Mariners, they should send them some hors d'oeuvres, strawberries, reasonable bottle of wine, or some other small but special token in leiu.

So, I haven't read up lately, but isn't there a cocktail party too? And this is the luncheon? Or is there another luncheon scheduled during the week? I guess I should go read :p

I completely agree. I just would hate to come into a half full dining room and realize that leaving them out was a mistake because of my penchant for following the rules. My Aunt is 70+, single and retired on a limited income, so the odds of her going on another cruise is slim. And, she will be accompanied by eligible passengers. I can see where someone didn't read everything before taking their first cruise and showed up unawares, that would be the fault of the crew if they were allowed.

They shouldn't be able to turn away Mariners under a certain level, since this perk is advertised clearly with no exceptions mentioned. If they absolutely cannot accomodate one or two star Mariners, they should send them some hors d'oeuvres, strawberries, reasonable bottle of wine, or some other small but special token in leiu.

So, I haven't read up lately, but isn't there a cocktail party too? And this is the luncheon? Or is there another luncheon scheduled during the week? I guess I should go read :p

If you wish to go to the Embarkation Lunch, I cannot imagine anyone is going to turn away your 70 year old aunt. HAL is not in the business of upsetting their guests in that way. IMO

There will be another 'brunch' during your cruise for Mariners. You will receive an invitation. It is often the last sea day. Again, it is highly unlikely anyone will turn away your aunt if she accompanies you.

You are better off in the Lido on embarkation day. The MDR menu is quite limited.

Maybe in your mind. If they only had cheese and crackers I'd still rather be in the MDR. The lido is a zoo and I get enough "people time" at home.

You're joking right? I'm a 4* and I wouldn't expect that.

You're joking right? I'm a 4* and I wouldn't expect that.

Well, OK, the bottle of wine is quite a stretch. :o

But the chocolate covered strawberries are less than $10. I pre ordered them for every day the first time, and ordered them every day this time too! And I think the hors d'oeurvres aren't that much more.

Ok, I'd rather have the strawberries than lunch in the MDR :D I fess up!

Regardless, the still publish no exceptions to their offer. That's just not right.

Well, OK, the bottle of wine is quite a stretch. :o

But the chocolate covered strawberries are less than $10. I pre ordered them for every day the first time, and ordered them every day this time too! And I think the hors d'oeurvres aren't that much more.

Ok, I'd rather have the strawberries than lunch in the MDR :D I fess up!

Regardless, the still publish no exceptions to their offer. That's just not right.

I think HAL is better then Princess in honoring lunch in the MDR. One guy had a great idea on the Princess board. When they wouldn't let him in the dining room he asked them to put it in writing. They wouldn't and they next thing he knew he was having lunch in there. HAL seems to discourage people from going in the MDR. If it's open...I'm not going to be discouraged. If it's a private lunch that's different. I wouldn't like it but I wouldn't expect anything in return either.

The last time we were first timers, and not familiar with anything. We were told to get in the elevator and go to the Lido. Everyone was migrating, so we migrated. We thought we didn't have any choices

I am VERY uncomfortable in crowds. I do OK in confined spaces, but not crowds. The three hours we were in the Lido were just terrible for me.

Thankfully, now I'll be able to just go the the cabin if I can't get into the MDR.

I know they aren't responsible for making me comfortable. I'm in no way trying to imply that I should be accomodated. I'm just explaining my interest in this. It's not about the food. I like Lido food!

I SO hear you about crowds. I can't handle them either and going to the lido just stresses me out. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Trust me, they will still try to heard you into the lido. I just don't understand why cruise lines do that when th MDR is open.

I was on Zuiderdam in April as a 1-star Mariner. When we checked in, we noticed that the couple checking in next to us got an invitation to dine in the MDR for lunch. One of the things that I was looking forward to was lunch in the MDR instead of the Lido so I asked about if we would get an invitation. The woman checking us in said it was for 2-star or more Mariners so we were not eligible. I know I had read online that the embarcation lunch was for all Mariners so I thought she was incorrect or the rules had recently been changed. My husband and I decided that we would stop by the MDR and politely ask if we could be seated. We figured at worst, they would tell us no and we'd just skip lunch rather than deal with the pushy crowds in the Lido like we experienced previously on Maasdam.

We stopped by the MDR and showed the host our cards with 1-star and he seated us. He never said anything about the lunch being for 2-star and up Mariners. Unfortunately we were seated at a table with a couple of 4-star Mariners who, upon hearing that was only our second HAL cruise, proceeded to talk nearly non-stop about how things had changed and HAL had stooped to catering to the masses. It was not the pleasant meal that I had anticipated. :( They seemed so unhappy that I wasn't sure why they bothered to cruise with HAL anymore.

I didn't realize then that HAL was limiting the embarcation lunch to certain star levels on some ships. I thought the woman checking us in was simply misinformed about Mariner benefits. In retrospect, it was probably rude of my husband and I to ask if we could be seated in the MDR after being told at check-in that we weren't eligible. However, I never saw people waiting for tables so I don't think we took seats away from higher-level Mariners. If we had been told the MDR was reserved for higher-level Mariners, we would have left without making a fuss.

I was on Zuiderdam in April as a 1-star Mariner. When we checked in, we noticed that the couple checking in next to us got an invitation to dine in the MDR for lunch. One of the things that I was looking forward to was lunch in the MDR instead of the Lido so I asked about if we would get an invitation. The woman checking us in said it was for 2-star or more Mariners so we were not eligible. I know I had read online that the embarcation lunch was for all Mariners so I thought she was incorrect or the rules had recently been changed. My husband and I decided that we would stop by the MDR and politely ask if we could be seated. We figured at worst, they would tell us no and we'd just skip lunch rather than deal with the pushy crowds in the Lido like we experienced previously on Maasdam.

We stopped by the MDR and showed the host our cards with 1-star and he seated us. He never said anything about the lunch being for 2-star and up Mariners. Unfortunately we were seated at a table with a couple of 4-star Mariners who, upon hearing that was only our second HAL cruise, proceeded to talk nearly non-stop about how things had changed and HAL had stooped to catering to the masses. It was not the pleasant meal that I had anticipated. :( They seemed so unhappy that I wasn't sure why they bothered to cruise with HAL anymore.

I didn't realize then that HAL was limiting the embarcation lunch to certain star levels on some ships. I thought the woman checking us in was simply misinformed about Mariner benefits. In retrospect, it was probably rude of my husband and I to ask if we could be seated in the MDR after being told at check-in that we weren't eligible. However, I never saw people waiting for tables so I don't think we took seats away from higher-level Mariners. If we had been told the MDR was reserved for higher-level Mariners, we would have left without making a fuss.

I haven't ever found the MDR to be overly busy so I don't understand why it can't be open for 1 star or everyone for that matter. I think most people prefer the Lido (myself excluded).

Archived