Venice to lake Como for the day

seaver

The wife really wants to see Lake Como,from what I understand it is about a 4 hour train ride each way, has anyone done this? If yes is a scenic ride? We are staying in Venice for 4 days ( third time there), so we are willing to give a full day for Lake Como leaving at the crack of dawn. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

The wife really wants to see Lake Como,from what I understand it is about a 4 hour train ride each way, has anyone done this? If yes is a scenic ride? We are staying in Venice for 4 days ( third time there), so we are willing to give a full day for Lake Como leaving at the crack of dawn. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Your plan wouldn't be my first or even fourth choice for a way to visit Lake Como. If you haven't booked your flights, consider flying into Milan and going all the way to Lake Como on your travel day. Enjoy the lake for whatever time remains of that day. Then, spend the whole next day at Lake Como and travel to Venice in the late afternoon or early evening. You would still have some time in Venice along with meaninful time in the Italian Lake District.

Incidentally, TRAVEL + LEISURE magazine had an excellent article in the April 2011 edition about the distinctive personality of each of the lakes.

KSPS, Thanks, I wish I thought of that LOL, my only issue is that we are going on a 12 day cruise from Venice and my wife is not a lite packer so we have deal with large suitcases (4) on the trains,which I can do but do they allow luggage?

KSPS, Thanks, I wish I thought of that LOL, my only issue is that we are going on a 12 day cruise from Venice and my wife is not a lite packer so we have deal with large suitcases (4) on the trains,which I can do but do they allow luggage?

When I consider the villas to visit, the meals to eat, the gardens to stroll, the ferry rides to take, the shops to explore, and more, I couldn't do what you're considering. Your mileage may vary.

Since you clearly get to Italy with some frequency, perhaps plan your next trip to include a visit to the Lake District. Milan has great train connections; you could arrange a Lake District add-on in connection with a cruise out of Rome or Venice equally easily. The only difference would be the direction and length of the train ride.

I'm not going to touch the four-large-suitcase-issue!

It's do'able; but it would indeed be a long day to make the most of it.

Train ride is just over 3 1/2 hours and goes via Milan Central. You could leave Venice Santa Lucia at 06:20 and arrive Como at 09:50.

Spend the day 'doing' Como & maybe take a ferry ride on the lake...

After an early dinner in Como, leave again at 19:12 to be back in Venice at 22:40!

See the ItaliaRail website for more options...

Good luck!

So maybe Como might be a stretch,Can anyone suggest a day trip with a shorter train ride that may be appealing to my wife ( lake,water, scenery etc.). She really would like to explore another part of Italy.

Thanks in advance.

So maybe Como might be a stretch,Can anyone suggest a day trip with a shorter train ride that may be appealing to my wife ( lake,water, scenery etc.). She really would like to explore another part of Italy.

Thanks in advance.

We have a winner: Lake Garda. This is the eastern-most of the lakes in the lake district. You can take a EuroStar train and be at the Desenzano Station on the shore of Lake Garda in 90 minutes. From there, you can take a ferry/steamer ride on the lake itself. I recommend a ride to Sirmione to stroll the town and visit the Castle on the water.

What I'm about to add might make the day too hectic, but you can decide: If you take the Eurostar to Verona, you could visit the wonderful Roman amphitheater and the house everyone pretends belongs to the real-life Juliet. Then, you could arrange hire a driver to take you to Lake Garda through Valpolicella wine country.

Newest thought: If your Venice hotel will let you store your suitcases overnight while you check out of the hotel, you could take a small case with a change of clothes for one night and do my Verona addition as an overnight trip. Not surprisingly, there's more to enjoy in and around Verona.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't done it; but what about Lake Garda; that's much closer to Venice! 08:30 train from Santa Lucia gets you to Peschiera del Garda at 09:46!

EDIT - Woops; sorry - didn't see the other reply before I posted this... Anyhow, 'great minds think alike' as they say :-)

... Lake Garda; that's much closer to Venice! 08:30 train from Santa Lucia gets you to Peschiera del Garda at 09:46!

Just to avoid any confusion, the same EuroStar route goes to multiple Lake Garda stations. You would come to the Peschiera station first, and, then to Desenzano. If you think of the lower portion of the lake as a clock face, Peschiera would be at 4:00 and Desenzano would be at 7:00. I suggested Desenzano since it is the main harbor for boat trips, but either train station would work just fine since steamers call at both locations and go to Sirmione. The best way to choose would be if you wanted to take a hydrofoil trip the length of the lake (Desenzano) or if the departure times for the steamer is more convenient from one dock or another.

Lake Garda is beautiful, and worth a day of your time. Verona is also beautifu' historic and interesting, and worth a separate day of your time. I don't think I would do both on the same day, though - I think it's just too much to pack into one day.

Thanks in advance.

We took the train to Verona from Venice. We got on a slow train that took about two hours to get there. We stayed several hours and then took the train back to Venice. The train we took back only took about an hour. I thought Verona was beautiful, and there was a lot to see there.:)

Archived