Restaurants in Rome

calgal729

I suggest you look on the companion website, tripadvisor.com, under Rome and then Restaurants. You'll see lots and lots of reviews. You can often pick a restaurant in Rome by strolling by and reading the menu. Just avoid places that have the menu posted in lots of different languages, as they are catering to tourists and the quality usually is not as good as others. Just like at home, if the restaurant is crowded, it's probably good.

I don't know the names, only the locations.

But the OP is correct, the best advice is to avoid those places that are in the tourist areas of have those tourist menus printed in 5 languages. We try to go back a few blocks to a family run osteria or tratoria. The prices are better, the people are friendly, and the food (in our experience) has always been good.

You can also hit the boards a chowhound dot com. There is always good, up to date discussions going on about places to eat in Rome. I found a couple of restaurants on that site that I really liked. Armando al Pantheon was my fave. I was dining alone and never felt ignored nor out of place. The off-menu suggestion of the pasta with the wild strawberries was fantastic, as was the just-made hazlenut tort!!!

Here's a new list for pizza: http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2011/jul/13/top-10-pizza-places-rome

I suggest you check the site http://www.parlafood.com. Katie Parla is an art historian, guide and food and wine critic. She has lots of information on where to dine. My personal favorite which shows up on some of her lists is Trattoria Monti. MMMM!

there is a place called Chica Bomba great resturaunt with very good prices its right behind the Braziilain embassy It is a block or so off Piazza Novana the food is so good we ate there 4 nights in a row

Rachel Ray went to a neat little restaurant on her show not too long ago. It was called Enoteca Corsi. Enoteca means wine bar, but it is both a wine shop and restaurant and they cooked the pasta right there where you could see the kitchen.

It seems to be near the Spanish steps. We ended up not having enough time to eat there and I was disappointed.

Link:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/rome/D33610.html

• 2 weeks later...
Any recommendations for good restaurants in Rome for dinner? We're not looking for trendy or high end, just good traditional Italian or Mediterranean cuisine that are not too touristy. Thanks.

We went to the Trastevere area--take the H bus, find the church/cathedral square. Lots of restaurants around there. Also: I think it's called Ristorante Giglio--it's right around the Hotel Quirinale--on the side street. Another option--by the Trevi fountain--(before u get to it) it's called Chianti. Just got back--that's why it's fresh in my mind.......

WE too found the best places by just walking around. Sometimes you can use up alot of time just getting to and from by being unflexible. There are just too many great places to eat to worry about visiting a certain one.

That said, we found a wonderful pizza place right behind the Pantheon (which is right over from P. Navonna) If you are looking at the front of the Pantheon, take the street just to the right. It is about 1-1/2 to 2 blocks back. On the left side and look for the green and white tiles !!!! Mostly locals and not fancy....but oh my, what great pizza !!!!

We also ate a few times at DiRienzo. Now, some will say this place is touristy..... it IS located in the Piazza della Rotuna (Pantheon piazza) but we loved sitting outside under the umbrellas, I ordered caprese and their bread with anchovies melted into the cheese on top, along with a glass or two of Proseco (first one is free ;)) and YUM YUM YUM....... a nice light meal leaving room for gelato afterwards.

I suggest you look on the companion website, tripadvisor.com, under Rome and then Restaurants. You'll see lots and lots of reviews. You can often pick a restaurant in Rome by strolling by and reading the menu. Just avoid places that have the menu posted in lots of different languages, as they are catering to tourists and the quality usually is not as good as others. Just like at home, if the restaurant is crowded, it's probably good.

That is great advice! I am going to keep that in mind for various ports when we want lunch somewhere besides the ship.

On a side street near the Termini is Trattoria dell' Omo (street address: Via Vicenza, 26) Restaurant is family owned. There is no sign. Look for the menu posted on the door. Try the spinach and cheese ravioli and splurge on the parma ham & cheese appetizer. Very reasonably priced and yummy food.

We tried many good restaurants in Rome by just picking as we went by. We never had a bad meal, all were great. Most I can't even tell you the names.

I do remember one we had the first night though since it was just down from our apartment. I don't know the name but it was located at the Piazza della Repubblica up the stairs at the facade behind the metro entrance. 9 of us had a wonderful meal and I think the total was around 90-100 euros for all. You walked in and picked out what looked good in the display and they served you at the tables set out front. A couple got minestrome too and I remember that was some of the best soup I had ever had. It was a complete meal! But we did not have wine that night. We were really all wanting water (went through 4 large bottled containers) plus we had a couple of bottles of wine back at the apartment that had been given to us by RIL that afternoon when they picked us up from the airport.

Archived