A few thoughts from a loyal Cunard passenger: In room entertainment and the shows

bonni99

Hello- just wanted to share a few thoughts having disembarked the Queen Mary 2 today after 7 day voyage to the Norwegian fjords. We have sailed on the Qm2 7 times and once on the Victoria so have a fair sense of what the Cunard product is.

Overall we had a lovely time and first off the food was of an excellent standard across the ship- Lotus was great- the menu having changed since we were last onboard and some of the dinners in Britannia were stunning- with improvement in the dessert area I thought!

However- we were very disappointed with two areas. Namely- the shows and the in room entertainment. Now, I know there will be people who say you dont pay to go on a cruise to stay in your cabin, but actually, we do like to spend a fair bit of time in our cabin! Working a 60 hour week throughout the year with commuting everyday, there is something rather luxurious about being able to lounge in bed until late and maybe have an afternoon nap! However, from first sailing on the Qm2 in April 2004 to now- their in room entertainment has taken a massive step backward! Yes they may have flat screen TVs but at the expense of:

*No movies on demand

*No music on demand

*No longer being able to check your bill online throughout the cruise

*Not being able to order breakfast to the room online

*The choice of movies appeared to be weighted heavily to the French, German and spanish selection showing newer run movies

*Poor choice of movies with odd starting times and repeated constantly throughout the 7 day cruise

*Very limited other channels- even Uk and US comedy channels showed a programme and then had a half hour break before showing anything else. How many times in one cruise can one person watch one episode of Fawlty Towers?

We sailed on the Azamara a year ago and they had a great selection of movies, TV on demand and the such like. I feel that Cunard are distinctly dragging behind other lines- and actually it will be a deciding factor for us when we choose who to travel with next time.

Secondly- the production shows were dire. Appasionata is still being reeled out 6 years on and the Viva Italia show was soo bad that actually I cringed watching it! It was like something from the UK gameshow 3-2-1 in the mid 1980's! A whole sketch involing a singing Italian chef called Tony Macaroni was hideously generalised and offered a grotesque version of Italians and Italian culture. It certainly doesnt fit in to the brand that Cunard are trying to sell of glamour on the high seas. I am not Italian but felt embarrassed for any of the passengers who may be! The singing was second rate and the music in the show was just appalling. We really couldn't believe what we were seeing. I think Cunard need to take note.

Would we sail again after 8 sailings? Hmmm, Im not entirely sure. Possibly if there was a good deal on. Having looked at the Voyage Calendar for next year it appears that Cunard are chasing the German market as most of Qm2's voyages are being routed through Hamburg!

I just got off of the same cruise and all the points you made about the shows and in room television programming were almost word for word what I put on my questionaire! My Wife and I also enjoy spending time relaxing in the room, but even if people don't, it would be nice to put something on to watch whilst getting ready to go out. The newer films were definitely the foreign language ones. They showed part one of a two part silent witness (one of my Wifes Favourite shows) but not the second part! That aside we really enjoyed the Cruise and all other standards were as always top notch.

I fully agree with all that is said, when I 1st cruised on QM2 I worked 60 hours a week plus, running my own Business, Now I have sold up and semi retired, however on a long voyage it is sometime just nice to return to the cabin, watch a movie maybe, have the music on and nap, NOW nothing, On QM2 a hightlight after a wonderful day was to relax before dinner and listern to Gary King.

A good idea is too take a movie or two and some cd,s and use them on your laptop if you have one, Cunar have taken a step back and for those who you shold not stay in your cabin, well they are wrong.

Entertainment on QM2 can be boring if you sail on her often, they really could learn from RCL and even P&O who have amazing shows in the evening.

Review my bill, I now have to go down to the desh, line up and ask for a copy, amazing, Please Cunard get back on track

If I had a problem with the in-cabin entertainment, I would write a sincere letter of concern to my wife. ;D

Actually, though it isn't currently possible, I truly hope that within the next few years someone makes an "entertainment server" for all professional hotel venues--prop the box in the basement and wired into the televisions, then people can rent hundreds of thousands of movies and TV shows stored in the building. It uploads to the room instead of playing elsewhere. I'm surprised no entertainment industry clever-boys have designed and marketed such a thing, yet.

We recently returned from a trip on the Queen Elizabeth. I was amazed that we were unable to view our running bill on the in-room TV. This is a brand new ship - the technology is not new. We found it bothersome to wait on line at the pursers office to get a copy. For a new ship - the technology that was installed seemed to benefit Cunard and not the passenger (i.e. card insert to turn on lights and Tv) - but no need to sort paper in the trash can - Holland America has a divided trash can for recycling. There were a number of things that I just shook my head and wondered what were they thinking. Don't even get me started on the brown trays in the Lido!

I try to get on the QM2 at least twice a year, but it will be just over a year when I board this Fall so I am suffering from severe withdrawal. However, I am not looking forward to the voyage so I can watch TV in my cabin. I also work many hours, weekends but still see plenty of the TV. I love being on the ship because things are so different from my everyday life and that is what makes it a real vacation. I also must vote in favor of Appasionata and Crazy in Love. A couple of years ago, I asked about the production shows and at that time they were on a five year cycle. Appasionata was carried over due to the high praise it earned on the comment cards. Real glad other aspects of the voyage were enjoyed, especially comments about the Britannia dining experience. Now that I am looing forward to.

I have to agree with the comments on the in-cabin TV. A couple of years ago, while near the UK the QM2 would broadcast three channels from the UK. After leaving Hamburg for the Norway voyage they would drop one of the UK channels and pick up a German one.

While off the US they would add ESPN and TNT.

But on our last voyage the only live channels were news, like SKY, CNN, and worst of all, FOX news.

Cunard is way behind other cruise lines as far as in-cabin TV variety.

It is strange that Cunard does not offer in cabin ppv movies and bill review. I know Carnival and Princess do offer both...

Norwegian is exactly as you all describe Cunard...

The thing I missed the most on NCL was the ability to view my bill on the TV... I hate having to go to the desk to get printouts...

I did take a quick look at the Cunard site and according to the site they list

"Interactive TV with multi-language film and music channels" as an option in rooms... Has this just not been updated? Or does their definition of interactive simply mean you can change channels lol :)

But they make a great hat rack :D

And I suppose - if I were being 100% fair - the bridge cam view (and stern cam view on QE) are quite useful for seeing if there's any maritime interest dead ahead or dead astern :D

J

There's only one improvement I would like to see as far as the in-cabin televisions are concerned - their total removal! Damned abominations.

J

Agreed (apart from the occasional spot of news:o) - I only have to hear the music they seem to play rather a lot on Sky News and I'm back on board.

Unfortunately, after a long and fruitless wait, eventually it dawns upon me that the dinner-cooking fairy is moi and I'm at home:(.

Mary

Agreed (apart from the occasional spot of news:o) - I only have to hear the music they seem to play rather a lot on Sky News and I'm back on board.

Unfortunately, after a long and fruitless wait, eventually it dawns upon me that the dinner-cooking fairy is moi and I'm at home:(.

Mary

[laughing]

No worries Mary, I think Sky News is playing a different tune now! :eek::D

...I only have to hear the music they seem to play rather a lot on Sky News and I'm back on board.

I've got an after shave that does that. I've only ever bought it on board Cunard ships and I just have to put some on and, no matter what the circumstances, suddenly I'm on board a Cunard ship and dressing for dinner.

J

Having just returned from the Norway cruise all I can say is I would never sail the QM2 again, I totally agree the entertainment was dire, some of the bar staff were sullen and never smiled, one even tried to charge a guest twice. Maybe the fact that 15% was added to every drink made them complacent as they were tipped either way. I thought the drink prices were too high to start with. we ate in the brittania and the food portion sizes were what you would expect in a nursing home, maybe this was due to the number of elderly passengers, my parents both 79, also felt the entertainment was too stale. I think Cunard stop resting on their laurels and take a look P&O who outdo them anyday.

Just been to the Baltic on QV2 end of June. Felt the shows were very poor with the ships singers and dancers dishing up the same old stuff. We thought at least they would have had some Russian Folk dancing when we were in St Petersburg, but no such luck !

Hi

Just got back from 7 days on QM2 to the Fjords too. Had a lovely time as went with daughter and son-in-law but have got to say that we do agree whole-heartedly about the entertainment. Quite honestly, it is pretty boring!!! 3 years ago, we went to the Caribbean and vowed then that we wouldn't travel Cunard again because the entertainment was dire - we did relent this time because of the things that we had enjoyed but the entertainment has definitely not improved!!! Apparently, the Entertainment Director has been on there for years - perhaps it is time he went! None of the other entertainment staff seemed to have a great deal of personality either - maybe taking their cue from the ED.

Main Shows:-

Appasionata - very average singers and dancers - have seen much better. Saw it this time around because we didn't go to see it 3 years ago. Surprised that it was still being performed.

Viva Italia - didn't go but other people said that it was very repetative.

Male Singer and Male 'Music & Mayhem' Act - both o.k. but always think that one performer per show is a very cheap production for Cunard.

Show on last evening - very ordinary - Cunard's 'not wonderful' singers and dancers again and a reprise of the 2 individual acts BUT it only lasted about 35 minutes - now THEY might have wanted an early night but come on........!!

RADA

Came as a surprise as I thought that they only did transatlantics. Their 2 performances were on the 2 sea days and were Hamlet and Canterbury Tales. Went to see Hamlet and was thoroughly disappointed. There was no introduction or synopsis in the programme - not everyone knows every Shakespeare play. Also was performed in modern clothes - what a get out! Didn't bother with Canterbury Tales as really would have preferred something a little lighter and there are may plays that would have fitted the bill.

Just think that Cunard should round off their whole product with 'a bit of fun'. We could be educated some of the time and have a bit of a giggle at other times.

Didn't go to any of the Balls as tried them last time and found that we have been to livlier wakes!!!! Incidentally, wish Cunard would decide before we sailed just when and how many formals nights there are going to be. We were told two but there were actually three and then they chopped and changed which evenings were semi-formal and which smart-casual - very irritating.

We did enjoy the quizzes in the pub and the guest speakers were both very good but it is time for Cunard to lighten up a little.

Daughter and son-in-law did enjoy the films each evening and we went to see Carmen in 3D which was very good.

We were also surprised at the change in the in-stateroom entertainment. Remembered that there were some really good music channels 3 years ago but looked in vain this time. Was also surpised at not being able to check our bill and that we weren't now able to send emails from our stateroom.

Overall we had a wonderful time - there were many good points but the entertainment did let it down.

Oh gosh, I've forgotten our main complaint - THE KING'S COURT - whoever designed that should be shot!!! It's worse that any supermarket cafe we've ever been in. The layout is a disaster! Seem to remember that 3 years ago there was only the 10 dollar evening cover charge for the Chef's Galley whereas now it is for 3 of the 4 areas each evening but might have got that wrong.

Also agree that the drinks have become a little on the expensive side!

So, come on Cunard, lighten up as we want to sail with you gain to enjoy all the positives about the QM2 but we want to be entertained as well as enriched - it is our holiday after all.

Sandie

At least on the QM2 you get the choice of the cinema in the evening. You don't even get that on the QV and the QE. Films are only shown in the afternoon in the Royal Court Theatre.

After one P&O cruise, I sincerely hope not:eek:.

Still, it's good that there's something out there for everyone.

Mary

Done more than one P&O they know how to treat their passengers and their staff are very polite and happy, this was not the case on the QM2 they acted rather like they were being forced to work! also this is my parents 15th cruise and they said it was the worst they have sailed with most popular cruise lines.

Speaking objectively - although any sort of "pop" entertainment and the big shows are not my cup of tea, I rarely watch the television and you couldn't drag me into G32 when it's open for business - I recognise that these entertainments are very important to many people. So I agree that Cunard should improve the quality to satisfy those passengers.

But Cunard caters to those of us who have other tastes. My wife and I have enjoyed the classical artists. On our recent crossing the piano/violin duo performed four excellent concerts, one of which was in the Queens Grill Lounge. We also appreciate the string quartet and the harpist. I wouldn't attend lectures just because they are available, but we have always found the majority of them to be of interest. Two crossings ago we had the good fortune to have the National Symphony Orchestra performing two concerts, including two well-attended performances of the Last Night of the Proms. Some of the plays by RADA attract a large audience and the Planetarium presentations are usually "sold out." To me, Cunard provides a vast choice of entertainment. If some of it needs improvement, so be it. But we are pleased that there is something for eveyone.

The Entertainment Director may be getting a little stale for some people's tastes, but he has little or no choice in the entertainment options. He does not book the acts, or hire the singers or dancers, nor decides what production shows will be offered. That is all done by Cunard shoreside people. All he does is schedule the show times.

Archived