More bad news in Greece

JimandStan

PaulChili, thank you for that info (you can tell I'm not a TA, right?). I did try to find flights but did not see any, and usually I'm pretty good, well let me say "fair," at finding good flights. I'm back on the web again, looking at it all.

Not sure what site you use

i like this one for flights http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

I find the routing I like then go to that airline's site & book what works for me

Lyn

I guess because I went to an unnamed general travel site and looked at flights meant I was limited to what they chose as "options." We've stayed in Athens twice, and I really would like to go to Zurich & Basel for a few days (hadn't been there since 1957--probably changed, huh ;)).

You remind me of an elderly attorney I once worked for. We were going to Vienna (this was in the summer of 1978) and he mentioned how he'd been there so he didn't need to go back.

"Oh, when were you there," I asked.

"1928," he said.

I just about choked.

Mura

Not sure what site you use

i like this one for flights http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

I find the routing I like then go to that airline's site & book what works for me

Lyn

Yes,

That is the site I use as well. I think they are the best.

spindrift - if you look carefully, the "UA" flight out of Athens is operated by Continental all the way to Houston (I assume that would have been more to your liking :)).

It's irrelevant now - fly to Zurich the same day and enjoy Switzerland.

BTW, Swiss is a Star Alliance member, so you can use/earn miles on CO.

Sharing tricks - from one old dog to another :D

Woo Hoo. Am I getting good info or what. Thanks fellow CCs.

Woops, let me step back. Just went to Matrix and couldn't find the Swiss air flight to which you referred from Athens to Zurich, and the only flights out of Amsterdam were 8 a.m. or before. When I selected the flights that were, in fact, available on Matrix, I came up with a fare 3X what I came up on the "general site," or since you mentioned sites, it was Travelocity. Wht did I do wrong?

Woops, let me step back. Just went to Matrix and couldn't find the Swiss air flight to which you referred from Athens to Zurich, and the only flights out of Amsterdam were 8 a.m. or before. When I selected the flights that were, in fact, available on Matrix, I came up with a fare 3X what I came up on the "general site," or since you mentioned sites, it was Travelocity. Wht did I do wrong?

When you click on the details of the flights it may be showing the full Y fare or Business class fares, not sure why only the higher fares could be the flights are booked or they have not released more seats yet

I usually check the routes & time then just go to the airline's website to check availability

You remind me of an elderly attorney I once worked for. We were going to Vienna (this was in the summer of 1978) and he mentioned how he'd been there so he didn't need to go back.

"Oh, when were you there," I asked.

"1928," he said.

I just about choked.

Mura

This has to be one of the best stories I have ever heard (oh, okay, read). Very funny. Thanks.

spindrift,

There are posts missing so I am not sure what your question is.

When I search for a flight from Athens to Zurich on April 24th on the Matrix site, I get a lot of options. Swiss is the shortest flight but most expensive (almost $800) - but there are other good options.

Lufthansa, JAT and Malev all have flights in the mid $200 range.

If you have any CO (or any Star Alliance) miles, it would be a good return to use them for the Swiss flight as it is so expensive.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the website suggestion. I had not known about that one.

Also note the Continental and United are now the same company. Merger is suppose to be completed by end of year and CO name/flight designation will disappear. Hoping the keep the best of both companies but . . . .

Archived