Whats this all about the "upgrade Fairy"

Just curious. If you book a Gty room like a BG and are assigned a BA, is that what people are calling an upgrade? Or is an upgrade, strictly speaking, when you book a regular cabin and are offered a more expensive cabin?

Just curious. If you book a Gty room like a BG and are assigned a BA, is that what people are calling an upgrade? Or is an upgrade, strictly speaking, when you book a regular cabin and are offered a more expensive cabin?

Many call any upgrade to a higher category, even within the same type of cabin, an upgrade. But a true upgrade is from one category type of cabin to at least the next one above, such as inside to outside, outside to balcony etc. IMHO of course! ;) So, it all just depends on what YOU think a true upgrade is.

Many call any upgrade to a higher category, even within the same type of cabin, an upgrade. But a true upgrade is from one category type of cabin to at least the next one above, such as inside to outside, outside to balcony etc. IMHO of course! ;) So, it all just depends on what YOU think a true upgrade is.
I agree. Technically, a category "upgrade" can be the cabin next door... or just down the hall. There are a few exceptions but as said, most of the time, a cabin of one type (inside, standard cabin <whether obstructed or unobstructed>, mini-suite, etc.) is exactly the same; the only difference is location or size of the balcony. And, it's all based on the perceived "better" cabin.

Don’t forget if you get an upgrade to a cabin you don’t like look online to see if a better cabin in the same grade is available and change .I just did got an upgrade to a BA balcony on starboard side and asked if I could have a port side BA for the views and they moved me :)

We have been upgraded at the very last minute.....like when we check in. Our baggage was marked with the previous cabin as we had printed out our luggage tags at home. So, that had already been sent off.

There was no consultation with us....just when we checked in, we were told we are now in cabin ???? We went from an inside cabin to an outside cabin, but was put at the very front of the ship, so we had all the noise from the crashing waves on the front of the ship and the early morning anchor drop for tender ports.

When we got into the cabin, there was all documentation in there for other people. Even our room steward did not know we had changed.

Our luggage never came, so we went back to our previous cabin and all our luggage was still in the hallway and all our documentation (and free mini bar!!) was still in the old cabin. The new people in our old cabin were quite nice about it and retrieved our documentation. I think they kept the mini bar!!!

We took our own luggage back to the cabin and insisted on our mini bar, which eventually came!!

Wish I knew what I was doing wrong...so many cruises and never an upgrade. Nothing Nada zilch, Princessx7 , Celebrity x6, Cunard, NCL Holland America,. It isnt fair!

Best upgrade we've had was on the Nordic Prince on a 14 day Caribbean trip.

When we went to check in, they asked if we would like to change to 2 connecting cabins instead of being in one cabin. You bet we changed with the 3 of us.

Cabin location was on the same deck, just a switch from port to starboard or since it was ages ago it could have been starboard to port. ;)

I have a lot to learn about cabin categories. Other than location, what makes an AA-Mini a higher category say than an AB-Mini. Or I suppose the same could be asked about an II-Inside vs K-Inside. The cabins appear to be basically the same. The only variable appears to be the location. So, taking this one step further, one might ask how could an upgrade to a higher category be to a worse location. My guess is this would be forward vs mid-ship, personal preference, or something like that.

I know I'm missing something?? Thanks in advance for sharing more about this.

The AD mini is on the Emerald deck, where the balconies are covered...the AC mini is on the Dolphin deck where the balcony does not have a cover.

I just had the experience where the AD cost more than the AC, I am assuming because the AC is on the Emerald deck. With that said, I took the AC for about $400 cheaper. We had a Dolphin deck mini last fall and I didn't mind that it wasn't covered. I think our cabin was brighter and because the balcony is not shaded, I was nice and toasty warm out in the sun as we traveled the Med and TA.

Also, location is a factor...some people only want mid ship. Our mini was aft and a few doors down from the self serve laundry room and I considered that a perk..very easy to do our laundry (we are not elite enough to have ours done for free). Also, when aft, it was a short walk to the elevators down to the dining room and the skywalker lounge and (if I remember correctly) up to the aft deck pool area and Sabatini's and the piano lounge.

Different strokes for different folks.

Wish I knew what I was doing wrong...so many cruises and never an upgrade. Nothing Nada zilch, Princessx7 , Celebrity x6, Cunard, NCL Holland America,. It isnt fair!

I know...NCLx2, CCLx4, RCCLx10, Cunard x2 Princess....and never an upgrade.

Then I just read about someone who, on the 2nd cruise they ever took, got an upgrade?! It's all so random....as is always said....just book the cabin you will be happy sailing in and if you get an upgrade that's a bonus, but don't count on it!

We have been upgraded at the very last minute.....like when we check in. Our baggage was marked with the previous cabin as we had printed out our luggage tags at home. So, that had already been sent off.

There was no consultation with us....just when we checked in, we were told we are now in cabin ???? We went from an inside cabin to an outside cabin, but was put at the very front of the ship, so we had all the noise from the crashing waves on the front of the ship and the early morning anchor drop for tender ports.

When we got into the cabin, there was all documentation in there for other people. Even our room steward did not know we had changed.

Our luggage never came, so we went back to our previous cabin and all our luggage was still in the hallway and all our documentation (and free mini bar!!) was still in the old cabin. The new people in our old cabin were quite nice about it and retrieved our documentation. I think they kept the mini bar!!!

We took our own luggage back to the cabin and insisted on our mini bar, which eventually came!!

Which cruiseline was that??

To add to this for example, if I booked an inside midship and was upgraded to an obstructed view Aft this would not be an upgrade for me because midship location is more important to me than an obstructed view at the back of the ship. Of course if they sweetened the deal with an OBC I could be persuaded. Being moved from an Aft inside to a midship inside would be an upgrade for me. I all depends on what's important to you.

We never received an upgrade either:( and I do believe in the "tooth fairy". Is the upgrade fairy related to the tooth fairy??

Carol

Yes they live in the same neighborhood as Santa and the Easter Bunny. Very exclusive area from what I hear.

thanks

i just want to be prepared - i like where im to on the ship now and changing rooms will shag up my plans :)

I dont really care if i get it or not - because I always book the room i want, but who knows

You can call your TA and tell them you don't want an upgrade and to mark your booking no upgrade and that way you can be sure and keep the cabin you like!

Well, I'm editing because it looks like this advice has been given you. Shame on me for not reading all the way through the posts! I just did and was entertained!

Archived