Past Guest Programs: Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, and RC

Tom-n-Cheryl

I think that most people here on CC are aware of the Past Guest programs of their preferred line(s). I am personally familiar with the first three that I am discussing here. I have only sailed on Royal Caribbean once, thus all that I know about their program is from their website. It appears that theirs was recently updated.

=============================================

Carnival has had its current program (PAST GUEST RECOGNITION PROGRAM) for a few years. Many people are pleased with it, some don't think that a rewards program is even necessary, and others feel that it could handle a little updating - I am a member of the latter group, but that's only my opinion. There are 3 levels (Gold, Platinum, and Milestone):

i-wwD5vCN-L.jpg

Celebrity has the CAPTAIN'S CLUB. There are 3 levels (Classic, Select, and Elite):

i-XKQxV7d-L.jpg

NCL has its LATITUDES program. There are 4 levels (Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum):

i-3vbB269-L.jpg

Lastly, there is Royal Caribbean. Their program is the CROWN & ANCHOR SOCIETY which is composed of 6 levels (Gold, Platinum, Emerald, Diamond, Diamond Plus, and Pinnacle Club):

i-NP7Dm74-L.jpg

Next, let's look at how points/credits are earned in these programs, and what perks are earned at different levels.

Both the Carnival and NCL programs are based solely on the number of cruises taken - regardless of the length of the cruise or the accommodations booked (interior/balcony/suite). There has been great discussion about the fairness of such an approach given that someone taking a 3 night sailing can work their way up the perk ladder with typically less expense and time compared to those who sail longer cruises. The same can be said of the category of cabin booked, though with expense here being the sole variable. The programs which both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean have are based on points or credits which you earn. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have the additional perk of being able to sail on one line at a higher perk level, based on the level you have attained on the other. That is, I feel, is a smart move - encouraging people to stay within the company... at least adding a slight incentive!

With Carnival, when you check in for your second sailing, you will have a Gold card. When you check in for your tenth cruise with them, you will be given a Platinum card - at which point several additional benefits are realized. Once you have sailed twenty five times with Carnival, you reach their top tier: Milestone. The top tier earns you no additional (per sailing) perks over the Platinum level, but does enable you to get OBC on/after your "Milestone" sailings (25th, 50th, 75h, and 100th):

i-nBQCWBD-XL.jpg

====================================================

NCL, as mentioned above, also takes the one cruise = 1 point approach as noted below:

i-8sJvknB-XL.jpg

i-GVm76WK-XL.jpg

======================================================

With Celebrity (tier credits) you can accumulate more than one credit per sailing if you are on a longer cruise (12+ nights) and/or are booked in a suite - thus you can get a maximum of THREE credits per sailing.

i-8GbgK9j-L.jpg

i-sjwssfJ-L.jpg

i-HSj5dpv-L.jpg

i-c4TrkGq-XL.jpg

======================================================

With Royal Caribbean you earn a point for each day sailed, and those points are doubled if you book a suite - thus a 7 night cruise in a suite will earn 14 points. The tier "break points" are at 3, 30, 55, 80, 175, and 800 points for the 6 levels.

i-rdscR8x-XL.jpg

i-d8873KP-XL.jpg

i-gK5kJ4N-XL.jpg

========================================================

There you go - I hope that helps anyone searching for this information. If anyone has any additional insight or pointers - please feel free to chime in!

Tom

Thanks Tom.

We are platinum with Carnival and have about 5 cruises with RCCL so at second level.

What this kind of tells me is we should basically stick with 1 or 2 cruise lines to get better amenities with our cruise.

What this kind of tells me is we should basically stick with 1 or 2 cruise lines to get better amenities with our cruise.

Yep !

At least a couple of the lines allow you, in a way, to "buy" your way up the ladder -- though along with that purchase you are getting a longer cruise or a suite with its associated amenities!

Tom

One small correction. You only need to book a JS or above to get double cruise credits, you dont need to book a suite as you stated. JS isnt considered a full suite, and has no suite perks. I had one on Liberty OTS that was like 350 s.f. and 100 + s.f. balcony facing the aft, and it is closer to a suite that Carnival has in many ways. It does have a bath tub, but no free drinks.

The diamond lounge mentioned is HUGE, as it is FREE drinks for several hours in the evening. You can also even go in there and they will fix you breakfast. It is a huge perk to most.

At Emerald where I am, balcony discount is $125 plus $25 bonus if booked 6 months in advance. Diamond is $200, plus $25 bonus for early booking. People who complain about prices on RCL dont realize that a lot of people are getting up to $225 discounts on their bookings, any balcony category or higher. Hard cold cash benefits is why people stay loyal. The above discounts are based on a 7 day cruise. About half if its a short cruise.

The free drinks at night is the most popular benefit. You can keep your laundry if you give me a couple hours of free drinks per night.

One small correction. You only need to book a JS or above to get double cruise credits, you dont need to book a suite as you stated. JS isnt considered a full suite, and has no suite perks. I had one on Liberty OTS that was like 350 s.f. and 100 + s.f. balcony facing the aft, and it is closer to a suite that Carnival has in many ways. It does have a bath tub, but no free drinks.

The diamond lounge mentioned is HUGE, as it is FREE drinks for several hours in the evening. You can also even go in there and they will fix you breakfast. It is a huge perk to most.

At Emerald where I am, balcony discount is $125 plus $25 bonus if booked 6 months in advance. Diamond is $200, plus $25 bonus for early booking. People who complain about prices on RCL dont realize that a lot of people are getting up to $225 discounts on their bookings, any balcony category or higher. Hard cold cash benefits is why people stay loyal. The above discounts are based on a 7 day cruise. About half if its a short cruise.

The free drinks at night is the most popular benefit. You can keep your laundry if you give me a couple hours of free drinks per night.

Thanks!

Which reminded my of something else I did not post a photo for (Celebrity), where you earn additional credits in both the Concierge Class and AquaClass cabins in addition to suites:

i-3PWWpWc-L.jpg

Tom

I wish Carnival had free Internet

Me too. Even with Hurricane Ike bearing down on Galveston, they said they would not allow free internet to book a rental car or change your flight home because its a 3rd party running it and Carnival was not willing to pay for us to get online.

So, why can they do it with Princess??

Me too. Even with Hurricane Ike bearing down on Galveston, they said they would not allow free internet to book a rental car or change your flight home because its a 3rd party running it and Carnival was not willing to pay for us to get online.

So, why can they do it with Princess??

On a Grand Princess cruise that was returning to port hours late, we were not allowed free Internet. OTOH, on the current Carnival Magic sailing, the port order was switched due to weather conditions, and passengers with private excursions were allowed to make free phone calls from the Guest Services desk to try to modify their non-Carnival tours and arrangements.

I think it just depends on sun spots.

I wish the cruise lines which are connected would allow for combining points--we'd be closer to Platinu if RCCL & HAL would allow me to combine their points. And I think CCL & Celebrity are connected too!

CCL= Carnival, Princess, Costa, HAL, et al..

RCCL= Royal Caribbean and Celebrity... (others?)

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

CCL= Carnival, Princess, Costa, HAL, et al..

RCCL= Royal Caribbean and Celebrity... (others?)

Tom

RCCL = Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azmara

Carnival = Carnival, Holland America, Princess, Seabourn, Costa, Aida, Ibero, P & O and Cunard

On a Grand Princess cruise that was returning to port hours late, we were not allowed free Internet. .

I was referring to the FREE loyalty perk on Princess which I think is after 6 cruises. I was saying if Princess can give free internet (as a perk) why cant Carnival offer it even in a emergency. Same company.

I too think this would be a great perk as the other poster was saying. Looks like this has been changed again. 25% off 5 to 9 cruises. At 10 cruises on princess you get 90 minutes free.

Edited by firefly333

I was referring to the FREE loyalty perk on Princess which I think is after 6 cruises. I was saying if Princess can give free internet (as a perk) why cant Carnival offer it even in a emergency. Same company.

This is a common mistake. Carnival is not Carnival Corp which also owns Princess. They are separate business units with their own responsibilities to the parent company. As long as the business units meet their goals, corporate stays out of it. This is part of Carnival's fundamental business model and I don't think anyone can question their success, popularity, and profitability.

Internet access on cruise ships is not provided by the cruise line, it is outsourced. What a particular cruise line offers or not, depends upon their contract with the ISP.

I wish the cruise lines which are connected would allow for combining points--we'd be closer to Platinu if RCCL & HAL would allow me to combine their points. And I think CCL & Celebrity are connected too!

Try to look at the bright side. Look at how much fun you'll have earning your way to platinum :D :D :D

It comes quicker than you think, really!! :)