Purse question...

OK, maybe not so much a "Purse"... but I'm looking for a cute, go-with-everything, across the body bag that will hold the following... Nook, small pocket camera, S&S card, license, lip stuff and possible sunscreen (small bottle of course).

I have used my Vera Bradley hipster in the past, but since it is a bright floral apttern, it doesn't go with everything.

I'd love to find something that is waterproof that I wouldn't have to worry about when I was around the pool or in case of (God Forbid) rain!

Lightweight is best...

Oh, and it must be inexpensive - I already have to spend enough on new clothes due to weightloss (which is a great thing to have to spend money on)!

Any suggestions???

Upon the advice of other ladies in another post, just bought a Baggallini messenger bag yesterday from Amazon at a really reasonable price. It's nylon and allegedly water resistant. I got it in khaki which seemed a fairly neutral color, but they have a pretty good selection of color choices.

Good luck!

Hi,

I don't do purses on cruises, instead prefer to use a day bag. Since my kids have grown and no longer need to do a diaper/backpack type bag, I love my Baggallini and Travelon cross body for travel. They are solids and a variety of colors and the crinkle nylon is fairly easy to clean. I don't think they are truly waterproof, but could withstand some of the elements.

This one I used for a business trip to Atlanta and carried my nook color in it. It is the Baggallini Big Zipper Bagg. The best part was that I got it for $20 at TJ Maxx! It sells on ebags for about 35. It was a little tight, but I carried a wristlet as my wallet, my nook, camera, small first aid kit, small reusable shopping tote, sunglasses and it was just fine. I may have also been able to squeeze in a water bottle but that was really it.

143938_7_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=95,1&hei=280&wid=280

This one I used on our cruise last year to Oasis. It is a bit larger and also has a small mesh on the side for holding a water bottle. In addition to the items mentioned above I was also able to carry bug spray and sunscreen and also squeeze in my folder of the all important travel notes and printouts. This was a find at Marshalls for around $20.

18644_5_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=95,1&hei=280&wid=280

I could not find a picture of the neat melon colored Travelon bag that I just received as a birthday gift. I will be using that for Alaska.

You can't go wrong. These are fun and vibrant and quite versatile. I love, love, love these bags. They are also lightweight. I can't decide which to take on the trip so I might even take more than one and alternate. :D

So try Marshalls or TJ Maxx and you may luck out! Congrats on the weight loss and have a great cruise!

This is my favorite bag for carrying a few things with me (my medium sized camera fits in it nicely). http://www.travelonbags.com/pages/XXXXX/200/299.html

It's $10 through AAA and $15-20 anywhere else. It's small, compact and has pockets to be used for airline tickets, passwports and cards. It can be used as a purse, body bag or even as a hip bag. I hate fanny packs but really liked it belted around my waist because of the shape.

I have about six of this brand and have used them for years. They are not 100% waterproof, more water resistant. I have put mine through the washer when needed and they look like new again. I just resurrected one for my new Kindle! and for our winter cruise. Google for the company website and you will see all they offer.

B.

Baggallini! Mine is only 9"x9" but it takes my Kindle and anything else I really need to guard carefully. In a neutral color, it's the only purse I need to take on a cruise. If I take more "stuff" on a shore excursion, I put bulky things that are expendable such as sweatshirts or water in an old tote.

I wouldn't take more expensive bags such as Coach anyway - they are too attractive to thieves.

I got a Baggallini too. A smaller one than in the post above called the Everyday Bagg from the Container store. They were having their travel sale then. I considered the Large Wallet Bagg because it can work as a waist pouch but I liked the purse look of the first one better.

I can get my kindle and my day pack in it. Although the day pack takes up most of the space if I actually keep it in there.

It claims to be water resistant not water proof. If you thinking you might get very wet, you can put your camera or Nook in a zipper plastic bag.

there are tons to choose from at ebags.com or look in your local department stores so many are carrying smaller, cross body bags...

check out qvc.com or hsn.com--there are so many out there to choose from.

if i can when purchasing something like this i like to SEE what i can actually touch and feel before i go to ordering online.

Another vote for bagallini! I have several and they are lightweight which is my most important criteria for excursion bags. I love shopping with ebags.com They usually have a sale going on and free shipping. The customer review section is key and they have a section called "Best of the Best" which is nice. I like the ebag brands too, their rolling duffles which are awesome!

I have this bag and have used it for several cruises as well as Vegas. And the adjustable strap is great. I'm pretty tall and have a hard time finding a strap long enough to go across my body but this one is great. Another great thing is Zappos offers free shipping even on returns:)

http://www.zappos.com/overland-equipment-auburn-wheat-coffee-bean-wheat

Another vote for Baggalini! We sell them in the luggage store and I have a couple that I purchased for travel use. They come in a multitude of sizes and shapes, I prefer a medium sized bag myself.

Kipling is another brand to consider with many of the same features like Baggalini.

One thing I like about both brands is the crossbody straps are wide and more comfy on your shoulder. I have several lovely leather cross body bags that just don't work for travel when you start adding the weight of cameras and such. The narrow leather strap cuts into the side of my neck too much.

I think it's always a good idea to shop for a bag in person, so you can try it on first and know it's not only large enough for your needs, but will be comfortable wearing it for long periods of time.

Guest maddycat

I've used my LeSports Sac bag on a couple of cruises and love it. It's light weight and washable. It comes in many solid colors. You can buy LeSports Sacs at many department stores (Macy's, Lord & Taylor) or online.

7640 Shellie Crossbody

I found a Baggalini at my local thrift store. Brand new! Now that was a long shot. I was just there on the right day, at the right time. This Baggalini will not hold a camera, but it does do cross body or a fanny pack. It is going on the crusie with me!!!! I carry it daily right now and I love it! I have only got one compliment on this bag. I guess there are not too many travelers around me-hehehe!!!!

This is my favorite bag for carrying a few things with me (my medium sized camera fits in it nicely). http://www.travelonbags.com/pages/XXXXX/200/299.html

It's $10 through AAA and $15-20 anywhere else. It's small, compact and has pockets to be used for airline tickets, passwports and cards. It can be used as a purse, body bag or even as a hip bag. I hate fanny packs but really liked it belted around my waist because of the shape.

This is my bag exactly. I also have a black one as well. It wont be large enough for what you plan on carrying though. I do love the bags for me......they are lightweight and secure when used crossbody.

This is my bag exactly. I also have a black one as well. It wont be large enough for what you plan on carrying though. I do love the bags for me......they are lightweight and secure when used crossbody.

Actually it probably is, I carry my medium sized digital camera and my phone in it along with other items (lip balm, batteries, folding brush, etc).

It's not the best pic of me... you'll be able to see how the bag fits.

ry%3D480

**edit** re-read the description and the sunscreen is the only thing that might not fit.

Oh, and it must be inexpensive - I already have to spend enough on new clothes due to weightloss (which is a great thing to have to spend money on)!

Congratulations by the way! I know how expensive it can be as I have been replacing my entire wardrobe this summer as well. I've donated about 4 large trash bags full of old clothing that no longer fits (from size 24 down to size 16s) along the way. Now I'm in 12/14s and buying my more permanent wardrobe.

• 2 months later...
OK, maybe not so much a "Purse"... but I'm looking for a cute, go-with-everything, across the body bag that will hold the following... Nook, small pocket camera, S&S card, license, lip stuff and possible sunscreen (small bottle of course).

I have used my Vera Bradley hipster in the past, but since it is a bright floral apttern, it doesn't go with everything.

I'd love to find something that is waterproof that I wouldn't have to worry about when I was around the pool or in case of (God Forbid) rain!

Lightweight is best...

Any suggestions???

Looks like I'm not the only Baggallini fan here! I also recommend ebags dot com, and your local AAA store usually has a good selection. They were designed by a flight attendant, so there are many configurations of lightweight bags. I found my latest one (small wallet bagg) on eBay (it had been discontinued but is still found there and on Amazon in limited colors.

Good luck in your search!

Archived