Medication Limitations

I know if we go on a cruise to carry necessary medications with us. I have a ton of medications for MRS E. She has a lot of controlled substances for pain and other problems.

Are there restrictions on some of the Caribbean islands as to what is allowed?

If it is legal and prescribed in the U.S., is it OK in other countries?

Medical Marijuana is NOT one of the items. They are all procured at the local pharmacy, or the cancer center.

Thanks for the help.

My niece has a cronic disease....when she is cruising she brings alot of controlled substances (excuse the spelling) such as oxycontin, vicoden, phentanol patches and anything else she has prescribed by a doctor....

she is never questioned about it....she could no way go away for a week without her prescriptions....hopefully someday she will not need them but as of today they are a lifesaver for her....

My husband carries ativan for seizures and we have never had a problem.

I carry them in my purse for emergencies. Just don't carry large doses and have the prescription or original bottle esp. if you are flying to port.

I know if we go on a cruise to carry necessary medications with us. I have a ton of medications for MRS E. She has a lot of controlled substances for pain and other problems.

Medical Marijuana is NOT one of the items. They are all procured at the local pharmacy, or the cancer center.

Thanks for the help.

I can´t specifically answer your question in regards to the caribbean islands and I´d say it´s probably hard to to without checking the single substances and laws in each visited country.

I however can answer in general, that even if something is legal and prescribed in the US it may be illegal in other countries around the world.

I think some meds legal and prescribed in other countries around the world maybe illegal in the US as well.

Just to make an example, and I know the example is far off your specific question about the caribbean islands, I travelled to Dubai last year and they have some pretty strict laws on this subject. You would go to jail there for having some substances that are OTC here.

Better check before.

Thanks for the help.

Unless you voluntary open the medicine bag and reveal your weed, how will they know or find out? You're worrying about nothing, especially when it comes to prescribed medication that's detrimental to your well being.

These port countries will not take your drugs away. The last thing they want is a lawsuit about a recently deceased cruise passenger, who got her bag of medicinal pot taken away.

my dh travels with lots of pain meds and other controlled substances. we have never had a problem- we keep everything in their original bottles. when we are on the ship we lock the meds in the safe. when he goes on tours he will take one or two of his pain meds in a pill container (probably not a good idea-but he can be stubborn).

one time going thru the airport they took extra time scanning his carry on

bag with the meds- but never opened it.

because he is on chemo i always take copies of his currents labs and tests and a list of his chemo drugs- just in case.

we loved cruising and will miss it.

Thanks for the help so far. I've been checking various website, and haven't found much additional information.

Mrs E wants to go on another cruise, and the drugs she takes fill a small carry on bag. I don't think the safes on the ship would hold half of them. She needs to carry most of them with her all the time, and I don't want them confiscated by a customs agent or pier worker. Or worse, get thrown in jail for carrying RXs.

All are in original containers, and we have the Dr.'s notes and lab info as always.

I was just hoping anyone with similar experiences could help with additional info.

If we have to fly, just getting through TSA will be enough of a pain in the butt. After the last time dealing with them, I have a direct contact in DHS if similar problems occur.

You should ALWAYS carry-on any and all necessary medications. No one looks twice at them. They will NOT be confiscated.

She may bring any and all of her meds. It is NOT a problem.

I'm sure not ALL of the meds. are "street worthy" narcotics...those are the only ones I'd bother keeping in your room safe. Put the others in a drawer of in your suitcase in your cabin, rather than leaving them sitting out.

Hubby brings copious amounts of RX's when we travel....it isn't a problem and it won't be for her.

I have cruised on RCI embarking at most of their Eastern seaboard ports and San Juan and visiting all their Caribbean ports. I have never had a problem with my drugs. I carry a spare prescription and the original containers as has already been mentioned, plus a letter from my doctor confirming that I need to carry syringes of chemo - this has never been asked for except once in Italy, when it was accepted without further question.

I place my boxed syringes in the trays at airport security so there can be no perception that I am carrying undeclared needles nor any danger that someone performing a manual search of my bag could be injured.

I also carry a duplicate set of drugs packed into my checked bag just in case my handbag was lost or stolen and a travelling sharps container [for used syringes], though I believe RCI will provide them if asked.

I find crusing is the best possible tonic and hope you and Mrs E find the same. Enjoy your cruise.

I only had one problem when traveling with meds. It happened in my own country of Canada. One very excited TSA worker would not let me carry on my liquid meds because they were over 3 ozs. She demanded they go in checked luggage. I explained to her that they were meds and allowed on plane if I claimed them and she would have nothing to do with it. I had to check them. Fast forward to my destination and guess what they lost my luggage. I flipped out as I needed the meds. They said to me that I should have carried them on with me. They told me we have a nurse on staff would you like to see her. I asked can she write a prescription. They said no. Well that is really going to help me. They said from now on always ask for a supervisor. I did file a complaint which I am sure got put in file 13 as I never heard back. Now I always ask the doctor for a note that these meds saying they have to stay with me. They have never been taken from me since. Just make sure that you have paperwork and original bottles with you. BTW I have never had a problem in the US. I spoke to one screener because of the liquid and he said we would never take away someones meds.

Archived