NCL Spirit July 10-17, 2011

Azure Moon

Did by any chance did you eat in the Tempanyaki restaurant?

We ate in the Teppanyaki on the Spirit on our cruise two weeks ago. There is only one table/grill, which seats 12 if I recall correctly.

The presentation was great; a good chef with a funny line of chatter and a good routine.

Food was only average, IMO. We've now eaten in three different Teppanyaki's on three different NCL ships, and in 2 of the three cases, the food was average, and in one it was terrible. We would not have booked the Teppanyaki on Spirit except that this was a first cruise for our 9 year old grand daughter, and she loves this sort of thing.

I guess I've just come to believe that Teppanyaki on NCL is more about the show (like the Cirque dinner on Epic) than about the food.

We had two great meals on Epic at Teppanyaki. Had the same chef both times, and while not that great a show, the food was excellent!

We are on the Spirit next week and will definetly try Teppanyaki. With an 11-year-old, it's obligatory!

Thank you both for you input. We were trying to decide if we wanted to take our daughter with us to eat there (3 1/2 yrs old) because we figured she would like this experience. However, not sure if she would want to sit there the entire time. She likes to sit, eat, go. No waiting. :o

She has been to one once before, however she was a lot younger and I'm sure she doesn't really remember it.

I guess we'll have to play it by ear when we get there. But I definitely don't want to miss out on it this time around.

We ate in the Teppanyaki on the Spirit on our cruise two weeks ago. There is only one table/grill, which seats 12 if I recall correctly.

The presentation was great; a good chef with a funny line of chatter and a good routine.

Food was only average, IMO. We've now eaten in three different Teppanyaki's on three different NCL ships, and in 2 of the three cases, the food was average, and in one it was terrible. We would not have booked the Teppanyaki on Spirit except that this was a first cruise for our 9 year old grand daughter, and she loves this sort of thing.

I guess I've just come to believe that Teppanyaki on NCL is more about the show (like the Cirque dinner on Epic) than about the food.

Since this is basically fried rice, steak bits, chicken, shrimp, what exactly makes one example of this better or worse than another?

I have had this numerous times out in the "real world" but never on NCL.

I have just never seen much difference in any of these places.

Since this is basically fried rice, steak bits, chicken, shrimp, what exactly makes one example of this better or worse than another?

I have had this numerous times out in the "real world" but never on NCL.

I have just never seen much difference in any of these places.

Well, like any other food, it can be tasty, amazing, indifferent, or tasteless. I'd rate NCL's as indifferent. Not bad, just average. We have a local Teppanyaki style eatery near where I live that does this kind of thing very well, and the food there always tastes better than it does at the Teppanyaki on NCL.

I'm sure you have a reason for preferring the food in one restaurant over another, don't you? What the food is, well, that's only part of the equation. I've had good steaks, excellent steaks, and bad steaks...but they're all steak, right?

Thank you both for you input. We were trying to decide if we wanted to take our daughter with us to eat there (3 1/2 yrs old) because we figured she would like this experience. However, not sure if she would want to sit there the entire time. She likes to sit, eat, go. No waiting. :o

She has been to one once before, however she was a lot younger and I'm sure she doesn't really remember it.

I guess we'll have to play it by ear when we get there. But I definitely don't want to miss out on it this time around.

Most of the Teppanyaki chefs will play up to the children at the table, and that helps keep them entertained and happy. There's enough going on that you should be fine, although I will admit that it's been a long time since I had to manage a dinner with a 3.5 year old!

Well, like any other food, it can be tasty, amazing, indifferent, or tasteless. I'd rate NCL's as indifferent. Not bad, just average. We have a local Teppanyaki style eatery near where I live that does this kind of thing very well, and the food there always tastes better than it does at the Teppanyaki on NCL.

I'm sure you have a reason for preferring the food in one restaurant over another, don't you? What the food is, well, that's only part of the equation. I've had good steaks, excellent steaks, and bad steaks...but they're all steak, right?

I have preferences in restaurants but hibachi grills tend to all run together.

I guess I have just been lucky and never had one of these that was bad or one that stood out more than another for that matter.

The differences have just been minimal at best. The preparation is essentially the same from place to place. Fried rice is pretty much fried rice, steak can of course vary but chicken is chicken and shrimp is shrimp.

I was just curious what the differentiation was for someone that found these places to vary.

Azure, sounds like you had a great trip! we are leaving in 20 days :o)

I was wondering if you could tell me how much the van back to the airport was? Did you book it when you dropped the luggage off at the storage place? I think I am going to use that place also. Was it easy to find your luggage once at the airport?

thanks,

Trish

Hi udamom.

We sure did have a great time! Loved everything but the humidity...and smells of some of the sidewalks and streets. YIKES! :eek:.

Yes, we made shuttle arrangements during luggage drop off. The lady at the booth asked us if we wanted transportation to the airport and told us the price - $14 per person. Since a taxi would have cost us about the same price we went ahead and made shuttle arrangements. She asked us where we were going to be sightseeing, and we told her the Jackson Square area (Cafe du Monde is right across the street). She told us the two times that were available for pick-up and we chose the one that we wanted. She told us to pay the driver the $28 when he dropped us off at the airport. We gave him a tip then as well since he had arrived at the pick-up point promptly, drove in a safe manner, was friendly, dropped us at the door closest to the storage room and told us where to find it :cool:.

The driver picked up one or two other parties of Rush It customers at the same meeting place as us. It was nice listening to their discussions of their trips. Found out they'd been on the same cruise :cool:.

Easy peasy! :) We would use Rush It again.

New Orleans and the Spirit = you're going to have an AMAZING time!!!!!

Have a safe and wonderful time.

A.M.

FreeStyle Dailies From the NCL Spirit sailing July 10 - 17, 2011.

I don't have Day 1's daily. Picked up several for our group, but ended up one short. Doh! Click on each photo to enlarge it.

Day 2: th_a0c68742.jpg Day 2: th_eb3b82a8.jpg Day 2: th_ef743f6a.jpgDay 3: th_55f3571c.jpg Day 3: th_49de59a8.jpg

Day 4:th_f40195f1.jpg

Can't believe you did not mention Jose and Patti !! Hope you did not miss them--BEST--and most loved--entertainers on ANY NCL ship !! For all on here who are sailing Spirit soon--they are not to be missed...search them on these boards and you will see great reviews...

chill 6x6, my pleasure :). It gave me a chance to learn how to scan (the Dailies) and post them...but I'm not going to say how long it took me to get it all figured out :eek::o:D.

You are going to LOVE New Orleans and the Spirit!!! I wish you a safe and happy trip.

• 2 weeks later...
FreeStyle Dailies From the NCL Spirit sailing July 10 - 17, 2011.

I don't have Day 1's daily. Picked up several for our group, but ended up one short. Doh! Click on each photo to enlarge it.

Day 2: th_a0c68742.jpg Day 2: th_eb3b82a8.jpg Day 2: th_ef743f6a.jpgDay 3: th_55f3571c.jpg Day 3: th_49de59a8.jpg

Day 4:th_f40195f1.jpg

Thank you, Azure Moon, for all of the fabulous info from the dailies. Since we will be going on our first cruise on the Spirit in October, it was great to see what kind of activities, etc..are available along with all of the other info they provided.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived