FOS Delayed 7/24/11

Hmmm, anybody thought that this would be a real good week to be on a back-to-back? Turnaround day? What's that? Let the vacation continue..... LOL.

Glad to see the traffic is moving now so the next sailors can get on board.

Watching the replays from earlier, thought of a curious question. You can see the lines drop out of the bow and hit the water. How do they get the lines to the pier? Anybody ever seen the tie up operations?

I was wandering that same thing about the lines

This may have been addressed earlier in this thread, but in short, a messenger line is attached to the mooring lines which is thrown to shore. On shore the messenger lines along with mooring lines are hauled up to the mooring bit. Sometimes when things are little heave they may even use a powered capstan or a pickup truck to do the heavy lifting. You probably just could not see the messenger lines in the camera

We got into our vehicle and were heading out of town by 1:30pm or so. This was our first cruise but not our last. Aside from a small bout of sickness (combo of getting overheated, alcohol and a probably a touch of sea sickness) the first night and stubbing my toe in St Martin scraping off about a dime size chunk of skin, we had an incredible time. We were fortunate that we drove down from South Carolina and didn't have a flight to worry about. Other family with us had a flight but it wasn't until 5:20pm. They got to the airport and still had over 2 hours to spare.

Just wanted to share what little we knew and our experience on board.

Craig

Howdy neighbor. I live immediately North of you. Glad you were still happy with your first cruise. Now if we can just get RCI to cruise out of Charleston or Savannah, eh?

I Already Know all this stuff but you have to realize it takes a long while for the nurses or doctors to respond. I was making reference to the rest of the staff on the ship who have no idea what they are doing and should be atleast first aid certified and considering they have to deal with the situations until qualified help arrives they were lost souls. During our life jacket drills it became very hot last year and one lady who was at the back of the crowd ended up having a heat stroke. Me and a Nurse who was in our group were the ones treating her and tell me why not one medical staff showed up. The employees just stood around watching and didnt even help at first until I requested a Wheel Chair to have a more rapid transport to the medical facility. I also sprung into action along with a doctor when the male fell on the flowrider and it took them 5-7 minutes to even find an officer to start the ball rolling to get the pt. to the medical facility a nurse did eventually show up to this incident after about 15min after the initial fall. that response time just shows a huge lack of knowledge by the regular staff. If you had actually took the time to read what I wrote I said they had very good facilities onboard about that of a Intensive care unit. I just feel the other staff on the ship should be better trained... what happens if someone is choking in the dining room the wait staff just gonna stand there sad to say but from my experience it would be my guess. Im not trying to put down royal caribbean or anything if I were I would not continue to sail the line but they do need to establish a training program for all employees so they know how to react to situations that may occur.

I completely agree. I can't believe that at minimum all the employees (and I do mean ALL) haven't taken basic First Aid classes and been instructed to be a first responder. If nothing else, the minute they see a real issue, step in, help and contact the medical office. I know my hubby who used to be an EMT many years ago has had to step in and help on 2 occasions on our honeymoon for people that passed out while I tried to get help from the employees at the resort.

Captain BJ - Thank you for such an excellent explanation of requirements for medical rescues at sea. Sure makes me even more thankful that my husband.

Erika

Howdy neighbor. I live immediately North of you. Glad you were still happy with your first cruise. Now if we can just get RCI to cruise out of Charleston or Savannah, eh?

Erika

Hi Erika. So are you in Charlotte or Fort Mill or somewhere else? And yeah. I wish there were more options out of Charleston. This past trip was our first so we can't compare RCI vs Carnival. We will probably book at least one trip with Carnival since they are so close.

Craig

Hi Erika. So are you in Charlotte or Fort Mill or somewhere else? And yeah. I wish there were more options out of Charleston. This past trip was our first so we can't compare RCI vs Carnival. We will probably book at least one trip with Carnival since they are so close.

Craig

I'm just over the Catawba, but work in Charlotte. We were introduced to cruising 5 years ago and it was on RCI. We fell in love. Not to knock Carnival, but a few co-workers have gone out of Charleston and were most definitely not impressed. Rumor has it that RCI is talking with the city of Savanah. Keeping fingers crossed.

Erika

YoGOGraig - also glad you enjoyed the trip. I'm also from Rock Hill (behind NHS). Going on Freedom in 8 weeks and can't wait! Took some other Rock Hillians on their 1st cruise on Adventure 2 years ago and they loved it so much there going with us again on this trip. I too wish Charleston or Savannah were RCI ports. Charlesto has great possibilities because of the old Navy yard. Plenty of room for the big ships. Friends leaving Charleston off East Bay on Carnival have said the parking is crazy, its that way anytime though isn't it. A 7 hour drive isn't that bad for a great week of fun though. I've done Miami twice and Ft Lauderdale. Those are long day trips. Now its time to start planning your next.

Bruce

YoGOGraig - also glad you enjoyed the trip. I'm also from Rock Hill (behind NHS). Going on Freedom in 8 weeks and can't wait! Took some other Rock Hillians on their 1st cruise on Adventure 2 years ago and they loved it so much there going with us again on this trip. I too wish Charleston or Savannah were RCI ports. Charlesto has great possibilities because of the old Navy yard. Plenty of room for the big ships. Friends leaving Charleston off East Bay on Carnival have said the parking is crazy, its that way anytime though isn't it. A 7 hour drive isn't that bad for a great week of fun though. I've done Miami twice and Ft Lauderdale. Those are long day trips. Now its time to start planning your next.

Bruce

Bruce,

(and Craig) Maybe we need to start our own 'SC' thread. LOL. Bruce, I'm scheduled for AOS next March. I would love to hear anything you have to share about her and the ports of call (assuming similar itinerary?).

Erika

Bruce,

(and Craig) Maybe we need to start our own 'SC' thread. LOL. Bruce, I'm scheduled for AOS next March. I would love to hear anything you have to share about her and the ports of call (assuming similar itinerary?).

Erika

Which route are you on? You'll love AOS. Crew has been great on both trips. Balleros is a great hang out for Latin music and danciing. You'll see plenty of it I promise. There was Latin music in the atrium every night on Serenade. Viking Crown had Latin music every night and it was packed. It was great! Both ships were a lot of fun. Both have positives. Loved Palm Beach in Aruba and Barbados (pink sand).

Maybe we should have a get together for are cruisers to compare stories and share photos. Between Susan and I, we took several hundred (gotta love digital!) photos. Also, we decided to get the photo CD so we then hit a LOT of on-board photo setups.

Craig (who went to Northwestern High but now lives near South Pointe)

Erika

I live 5 miles south of Charlotte in SCCL, and in my last three cruises on the FOS within the last year, I have driven every time. Eight Hours. I always go down one or two days earlier, but do not fear the plane schedule potential changes.

Of course the shows are getting to be the same old same old, but now I feel good about driving to the port. Yes, I get to take more luggage.

I wish they would bring into range for more car drivers. I would love either port and more options 3 to 4 hours

Per my husband something doesn't seem right. They have a pad for hellicopter landings. Why the need to actually go into the port of Nassau?

That would have been a lot better for all the other 4,000 passengers and quicker medical care for the passenger. I wonder why they did not use the area on the ship they made for that situation, instead of making it everyone elses problem. I do feel for the passenger, and I hope they are well.

Which route are you on? You'll love AOS. Crew has been great on both trips. Balleros is a great hang out for Latin music and danciing. You'll see plenty of it I promise. There was Latin music in the atrium every night on Serenade. Viking Crown had Latin music every night and it was packed. It was great! Both ships were a lot of fun. Both have positives. Loved Palm Beach in Aruba and Barbados (pink sand).

Doing St. Croix, St. Martin, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados.

Maybe we should have a get together for are cruisers to compare stories and share photos. Between Susan and I, we took several hundred (gotta love digital!) photos. Also, we decided to get the photo CD so we then hit a LOT of on-board photo setups.

Craig (who went to Northwestern High but now lives near South Pointe)

Works for me. Email - quakerzon at yahoo

I live 5 miles south of Charlotte in SCCL, and in my last three cruises on the FOS within the last year, I have driven every time. Eight Hours. I always go down one or two days earlier, but do not fear the plane schedule potential changes.

Of course the shows are getting to be the same old same old, but now I feel good about driving to the port. Yes, I get to take more luggage.

I wish they would bring into range for more car drivers. I would love either port and more options 3 to 4 hours

SCCL? And I agree, the driving to port is the best. Of course a closer port/shorter drive would make the trips that much better (and more frequent - :rolleyes: ).

Not looking forward to next years luggage/TSA/airport aggravation, but absolutely looking forward to the cruise.

Erika

We live in Sun City Hilton Head in Bluffton but have met folks for SCCL onboard. Saile from Port C 9 times -- 4 on Mariner and 5 on Freedom. You can see from my signature that we have a cruise coming up in 2 weeks on her. It is 4 1/2 hours for us. We have driven to Fort. Lauderdale and Miami and may try Jewel out of Tampa. You're right about the same shows etc but we always meet new folks and have gotten to know some of the staff, particularly the concierges.

Were there any videos of Freedom docking on Sunday morning? Could not figure out how to find one if there is.

Yes go to portfever.com. Hover over Port Canaveral at the top, go down to HDTV Webcam. Scroll over to Archive then select Sunday and I believe she came in around 10am.

That would have been a lot better for all the other 4,000 passengers and quicker medical care for the passenger. I wonder why they did not use the area on the ship they made for that situation, instead of making it everyone elses problem. I do feel for the passenger, and I hope they are well.

Read Captain BJ's explanation a few posts back. It's very informative.

SCCL? That wouldn't by any chance be in Fort Mill would it?

Archived