FOS Delayed 7/24/11

Watching the replays from earlier, thought of a curious question. You can see the lines drop out of the bow and hit the water. How do they get the lines to the pier? Anybody ever seen the tie up operations?

Mooring lines are HEAVY. A small line, called a heaving line, is tossed to the pier and attached to the end of the mooring line. The heaving line is then used to pull the mooring line to the pier. Due to the weight the line will usually end up in the water and altho they usually don't float the bou' of the water does help ease the job for the line handler on the pier.

. . .

Thanks for the visual, Capt BJ.

what about departure times of the others ships in port? Disney Dream and the Carnival Sensation?

EDIT: Sensation is moving NOW!!

5:09 Disney is moving out

AND FOS has plenty of VANS just pulling in . . . given they have to get everyone on ... and a wee bit settled ... and then have 'the drill' I'm guessing they are gonna be a couple of hours late.

AND FOS has plenty of VANS just pulling in . . . given they have to get everyone on ... and a wee bit settled ... and then have 'the drill' I'm guessing they are gonna be a couple of hours late.

It's fun to watch the Dream sail, but I would prefer watching the Freedom. Now that I finally found that great webcam, would have loved watching her. But since it's already after 11 PM here, I guess it will be for another time :(

Cindy

They are not required to muster today. They are still within regulations if they do it tomorrow.

They are not required to muster today. They are still within regulations if they do it tomorrow.

I didn't think of that. Is it within 24 hours they have to do muster? I may stay up a little longer and keep my fingers and toes crossed that she will sail soon ;)

Cindy

Has anyone heard from departing passengers or any other announcements of what the emergency was that caused the delay in the first place?

The original report was that they had to drop off a passenger in Nassau for a medical emergency.

Per my husband something doesn't seem right. They have a pad for hellicopter landings. Why the need to actually go into the port of Nassau?

We don't know the details. The seas might have been too rough. The person might have been too unstable. Maybe there was no helicopter available in the area.

We will have to wait until someone who was on the ship posts, though we might never know.

The speedy lube barge was seen leaving just a few minutes ago. The forklifts have been running the luggage on pretty quickly out front. Doesn't seem to be a lot of traffic, so maybe they at least got everyone on board. When they sail is probably a matter of operations.

Archived