New York City Trader Joe's

sunneesmile

Does anyone know if all the Trader Joe's in NYC sell wine or just the location at Union Square Area? Thanks!

Very few Trader Joe's on the East Coast and particularly in NYC. They are one of our regular customers for weekly deliveries out of CA and we deliver less Trader Joe's to the NYC area than any other place in the USA.

NYC has strict wine/beer/alcohol laws and I would guess the one in Union Square has a wine only license in a stand alone part of the building.

I just looked at Trader Joe's in house ordering matrix and the only place I can see wine delivered to in the NYC area is Union Square. A couple have beer only and a couple have NO booze of any type.

Very few Trader Joe's on the East Coast and particularly in NYC. They are one of our regular customers for weekly deliveries out of CA and we deliver less Trader Joe's to the NYC area than any other place in the USA.

NYC has strict wine/beer/alcohol laws and I would guess the one in Union Square has a wine only license in a stand alone part of the building.

I just looked at Trader Joe's in house ordering matrix and the only place I can see wine delivered to in the NYC area is Union Square. A couple have beer only and a couple have NO booze of any type.

Thanks ....Yes, the Union Square location shows two addreses. Trader Joes and Trader Joes Wine.

Last time in NYC we had trouble finding wine we wanted to take onboard our cruise. We usually take a 3L box with no trouble. In Texas we can find tons of variety in boxes. We spent the better part of a day looking in NYC. Went to no less than a dozen wine stores before we found boxes and settles for Franzia-yuck.

When sailing out of San Pedro earlier this year, I found a nice wine store online and they order us some red malbec from Argentina in a box and delivered the wine to our pre cruise hotel. This time, I may ship it to our hotel myself.

Thanks

Thanks ....Yes, the Union Square location shows two addreses. Trader Joes and Trader Joes Wine.

Last time in NYC we had trouble finding wine we wanted to take onboard our cruise. We usually take a 3L box with no trouble. In Texas we can find tons of variety in boxes. We spent the better part of a day looking in NYC. Went to no less than a dozen wine stores before we found boxes and settles for Franzia-yuck.

When sailing out of San Pedro earlier this year, I found a nice wine store online and they order us some red malbec from Argentina in a box and delivered the wine to our pre cruise hotel. This time, I may ship it to our hotel myself.

Thanks

Wine in a box is NOT a big seller in NYC. I have a lot of friends and business acquaintances in all boroughs of NY and they think wine in a box is very, very crass (sorry). Even some of my local NYC employees looked at one of my over the road drivers like he was nuts when he brought out some wine in a box at last year's Xmas party.

Order what you want online and have it delivered to your hotel. Shipping it yourself CAN bring a world of hurt to you. Without a booze license into NY/NJ, you can be accused of smuggling.

Wine in a box is NOT a big seller in NYC. I have a lot of friends and business acquaintances in all boroughs of NY and they think wine in a box is very, very crass (sorry). Even some of my local NYC employees looked at one of my over the road drivers like he was nuts when he brought out some wine in a box at last year's Xmas party.

Order what you want online and have it delivered to your hotel. Shipping it yourself CAN bring a world of hurt to you. Without a booze license into NY/NJ, you can be accused of smuggling.

Thee was a time when I thought the same thing about wines in a box and I was somewhat of a wine snob. But I have discovered some from Chile and Argentina, both red and white, that I really like and the box stays fresh. Just my opinion.

NY law prohibits any one with a retail liquor(wine and hard liquor) license from having more than one location(there are some coops that joint advertise however) so Trader Joe's only has one retail store. There was a move to change this(which I personally oppose)....but near every trader Joe's there normally are many liquor stores. at the one in Brooklyn there is one( a nice one) next store. There are two more within 2 blocks.

you can have a retail beer license at more than one place.

If you want to know if a store carries boxed wine, just call them.

Boxed wine has improved greatly and some inexpensive wines(like 2 buck chuck) are better than some of the swill they sell for much more....IMO...

NY law prohibits any one with a retail liquor(wine and hard liquor) license from having more than one location(there are some coops that joint advertise however) so Trader Joe's only has one retail store. There was a move to change this(which I personally oppose)....but near every trader Joe's there normally are many liquor stores. at the one in Brooklyn there is one( a nice one) next store. There are two more within 2 blocks.

you can have a retail beer license at more than one place.

If you want to know if a store carries boxed wine, just call them.

Boxed wine has improved greatly and some inexpensive wines(like 2 buck chuck) are better than some of the swill they sell for much more....IMO...

I rate wine based on my taste. If I like it, I don't pay much attention to packaging or price. My Parent's introduced me to 2buck chuck. They used to live in CA and when they first presented it, I thought they were kidding!

No kidding, I saw a woman in a mink coat arguing with a clerk there why the chuck was $2.99. FYI-I never saw box wine at Trader Joe's on 14th Street in Manhattan

the more wealthy people are the more they have time to argue over .99 cents with the clerk who has nothing to do with it-imo. Its like the people who argue about the $12 DSC or its equivalent rarely is it someone who works for a living.

Trader Joe's does not sell wine in NYC, the Union Square is a separate store, even has its own store number then the regular Union Sq Trader Joe's.

Sucks in NYC you can't get wine or spirits in a grocery store. Heck it was just short time ago that they allowed Liquor stores to be open on Sunday.

Trader Joe's does not sell wine in NYC, the Union Square is a separate store, even has its own store number then the regular Union Sq Trader Joe's.

Sucks in NYC you can't get wine or spirits in a grocery store. Heck it was just short time ago that they allowed Liquor stores to be open on Sunday.

you know didn't we have the same discussion as whether the Pathmark on Hamilton Avenue has a wine store in the same shopping center.?

The Liquor Store at the Trader Joe's in Manhattan says "Trader Joe's" on the door. Yes its a separate store with a separate entrance immediately adjacent to the food store with the same name. In some states where drugs stores can sell liquor they are also required to have a separate entrance. Yes they may have different telephone numbers so people can call them directly(but then do Sears stores that have a separate telephone number for the tire stores)...but in general most people would accept that a store next door owned by the same company with the same name means they are selling wine(and the same brands that they sell at other Trader Joe's which have wine stores in other places in the country) even if its a separate entrance.

Yes, the only TJ that has wine is in Union Square.

Is there a particular reason why you would want to purchase from TJ as opposed to a wine shop say closer to your hotel? There are tons of wine shops in NYC and most have a better selection than TJ.

Yes, there is a reason I thought I would try TJ. But I would rather not discuss anymore because I am tired of being lectured like I was a child by some CC posters.

Thanks for all your help! Have a great day!

Jersey is even worse, and forget Trader Joe's selling alcohol. Such a bummer. I am confused though. Most small NY "mom & pop" grocery stores (a.k.a. Bodegas) sell alcohol by the singles, so why not larger grocery stores I wonder.

Jersey is even worse, and forget Trader Joe's selling alcohol. Such a bummer. I am confused though. Most small NY "mom & pop" grocery stores (a.k.a. Bodegas) sell alcohol by the singles, so why not larger grocery stores I wonder.

no they sell beer not wine or hard liquor. The person who started this thread specifically asked about wine.

Yes, there is a reason I thought I would try TJ. But I would rather not discuss anymore because I am tired of being lectured like I was a child by some CC posters.

Thanks for all your help! Have a great day!

I don't think I lectured you...only had an adult discussion...

I hope you find a reasonably priced wine of your choice(box or otherwise)...

I don't think I lectured you...only had an adult discussion...

I hope you find a reasonably priced wine of your choice(box or otherwise)...

Smeyer...you are not the one that lectured me at all. You have been very helpful to me for years!

I am curious with the strict laws on wine and liquor in New York as to where it can be sold, does New York also control the prices? Will the bottle of Smirnoff be the same price everywhere? If this is true is wine also price controlled. If this is the case then it can be bought anywhere the product is available.

misterwrightfinewines.com has a website and they will deliver to your hotel in Manhatten with a $25.00 order. 10% off if you order a case. Check out their website as it may be the easy way to go. We are going on a 14 day cruise and I think a case would be about right. I would also ask them if they will deliver some Coke with that.

I am curious with the strict laws on wine and liquor in New York as to where it can be sold, does New York also control the prices? Will the bottle of Smirnoff be the same price everywhere? If this is true is wine also price controlled. If this is the case then it can be bought anywhere the product is available.

misterwrightfinewines.com has a website and they will deliver to your hotel in Manhatten with a $25.00 order. 10% off if you order a case. Check out their website as it may be the easy way to go. We are going on a 14 day cruise and I think a case would be about right. I would also ask them if they will deliver some Coke with that.

no price controls in NY. Price vary. Liquor stores can't sell soda.

The strictness is in who can sell hard liquor and wine. But getting a license isn't that difficult. Its mostly that it has to be a mom and pop thing and not a chain and rules about how far you have to be from a school.

http://www.abc.state.ny.us/

Are you sailing NCL? What are their rules on bringing wine? Just curious. Have a great cruise! Thanks for the info

I believe that you pay a $15 corkage fee for each bottle of wine and champagne you bring on board. No hard liquor or beer is allowed. Some people try sneaking it in in their luggage but if you get caught, hard liquor and beer is confiscated and you still have to pay the corkage fee for the wine, after getting a lecture in the "naughty" room.

I believe that you pay a $15 corkage fee for each bottle of wine and champagne you bring on board. No hard liquor or beer is allowed. Some people try sneaking it in in their luggage but if you get caught, hard liquor and beer is confiscated and you still have to pay the corkage fee for the wine, after getting a lecture in the "naughty" room.

RUM RUNNERS TO THE RESCUE. www.rumrunners.com

NCL charges $15.00 per bottle corkage fee. They are very strict about bringing alcohol on board.

I am aware there is a corkage fee, but I was just curious if NCL had something in their passage contract about how many bottles per person could be brought onboard at embarkation or at each port.

1. No limit of how many bottles of wine you bring with you when you first start your cruise.

2. Bottles of hard liquor and wine bought at the various ports of call are confiscated and given back to you on the last night of your cruise.

Archived