TA Cruise Cancellation Fee?

dongordon

Has anyone heard of a TA being able to charge a cancellation fee of $25 / cabin if you cancell before the final payment? Our final payment was due October 22nd.

We recently cancelled our reservation to go on another ship with a different TA and the TA charged us $25 / cabin for cancellation of three cabins that we had booked.

I will pay the fee, but curious if this is standard operating procedure.

I believe she did this because she was upset that we booked with a different TA with a better price.

its normal, different TA have different policy's. You should of looked at the policy/contract before booking with that TA

Thanks for the information.

I never received a contract from the TA....only received a copy of the NCL confirmation.

Everything was done over the phone, including deposit payment.

The TA was a friend of a friend!

actually, $25 sounds cheap to me. i think my TA told me a year ago that the standard cancellation fee for her company was $100 but she waived it for me because i booked with her and canceled a cruise made directly with NCL.

I believe she did this because she was upset that we booked with a different TA with a better price.

Just wondering if you gave her a chance to match or beat the best price? Most TA's will try to price match to keep your business.

TA fees can vary for cancelation...your $25 was cheap and if you didnt get any documentation from the TA thats not good as their policies are different from NCL and when you book with a TA everything is done with them and they go thru NCL.

Like others have said, this is pretty standard these days. We used an online TA to book our upcoming cruise and that was one of the things we made sure to ask about before committing to an agency. Some of them also charge a fee for making certain changes to your booking, not just for cancellations.

At least now you know for next time!

There are a lot of TA's out there. Some not only don't charge cancellation fees, fees to get a price drop from the cruise line, but also refund part of their commission back to you. It pays to look around and when you find one like this, stop looking and keep him (or her). Sorry, but CC will not let me post the name of mine, but he's worth his weight in gold. He even calls me when he sees a better deal than I currently have and if it involves changing dates or cabins or a price drop, he is glad to do it.

Lots of Travel agencies charge $75. to cancel with them. This is why I have chosen to stay with my favorite agency because they don't charge a fee if I cancel a cruise. I don't get any extra perks but at least I don't lose any money if I change my mind and cancel a cruise.

Message to OP....Your travel agent worked hard in setting up your three cabins booked and then you change your mind. T.A. lost commision sp.

plus time lost that she could have spent with another customer.

This is why I don't like to book with small agencies because they truly depend on the commisions.

Just wondering if you gave her a chance to match or beat the best price? Most TA's will try to price match to keep your business.

I did request that she match the price and she told us that she was busy and would get back to us, but instead, she seemed insulted and asked if we wanted to cancell our reservations. We were afraid to lose the three ajoining cabins and we cancelled. My daughter handled the reservations.

She finally got back to us, and did match the price after we cancelled and told us about the charges.

I am on a cruise in September that I booked with her and was upset about the charges.

It sounds as though she was certainly justified.

Has anyone heard of a TA being able to charge a cancellation fee of $25 / cabin if you cancell before the final payment? Our final payment was due October 22nd.

We recently cancelled our reservation to go on another ship with a different TA and the TA charged us $25 / cabin for cancellation of three cabins that we had booked.

I will pay the fee, but curious if this is standard operating procedure.

i think it is a really dumb policy, but yes, more and more are doing this. Why is it dumb? Because TAs are having enough problems keeping their heads above water with technology playing so much a part of our lives: on the other hand, I know how much work goes into booking (more than some may realize) and then to have someone cancel and give the reservation to another agent; that sucks, whether you got a better price or not.

Archived