Cellphone Question

tigerdadky

I saw some who were still docked and didnt know when it says its on the satalitte tower, its costing you big bucks.

If you have international and the right phone, I hear you can get it down to $2.49 per minute.

get online in the ports.. put it in the safe during the cruise.

Really the best thing to do in terms of using the internet on your phone is wait until you are in port and see where the crew members who are toting their laptops go, they usually know where the free wifi spots are

Cellular service is provided by Cellular At Sea. You can visit their website for information about your ability to receive data. Here's the link: http://www.cellularatsea.com/

You can look up your specific carrier for additional information. However, I'm rather sure that it will cost MUCH more to move data via your Blackberry than it would via the machines in the internet café...

Best of luck.

:)

It's $2.49 a minute and text messages are around 50 cents each to send on ship. If you want to use it for data you need to use wifi and pay for the ship's service. I'd disable anything data related that doesn't use wifi. International data charges are very expensive, when I say expensive I mean $20+ per mb. Meaning downloading an average mp3 will cost you $60.00.

These are prices on Verizon, guessing everyone else is similar. As noted there are free wifi spots in most ports as well.

With my droid I put it on airplane mode and turn wifi on.

If you want to know if your phone will work on a certain cruise ship, you will have to consult with your service provider. Data/internet roaming IS expensive. I don't know your service provider, but here are links to cruise ship roaming rates on 4 US carriers:

AT&T

Sprint

T-Mobile

Verizon

Hope this helps!

Archived