buying alcohol in the shops on the ship

majosa

LIke the previous poster said....Bacardi and Absolut are pretty cheap. In general, it all depends where you're stopping port wise...Kahlua is cheap in Mexico, rum in Puerto Rico, etc. Cognac is cheap in the French ports. St Thomas is probably the best port for overall liquor buying. Good luck. Price what you want at home and then see if it's worth your while to buy it.

There are also items like Sheridans that you can't get in the states. It's a black and white dual pour bottle of delicious liqueur.

SHERIDANS is the absolute BEST! It's a coffee/cream liqueur and it's wonderful - definitely stock up .... I've looked everywhere for it here in the states. And yet, this is another reason I cruise. :D

Shoot, I always end up paying the duty tax. Maybe it's the hard nosed agents in NOLA or maybe it's the massive quantities we carry off the ship, bungee corded to the carry on luggage which is also full. LOL In any event, it's still FAR less expensive than buying at home. Sheridans makes a great gift too.

I doesn't sound like Sheridans would be something I would like as I really hate coffee ... never drink it. Period.

We brought off 6 bottles of alcohol in NOLA and there were only 2 of us legally old enough to buy it at the time. We declared it on our customs form, the lady asked us if we were bringing any liquor off the ship and we said yes, she stamped our form and said hope you had a nice cruise! No problem! Hope they are that nice in Tampa. There will be 3 of us legally old enough to buy alcohol on the ship then, so maybe we will buy even more. :D

We always stock up because of those reduced prices are mentioning. Remember if you are not driving home after the cruise (flying) you will also have to take those bottles onto a plane. (I know this was not part of the question, but thought it worth while)

We had to pay tax on ours last August out of Baltimore. Like the prior post stated I think it was the quantity we had but it was still well worth the extra 52.00. We plan to do it again this September :)

We always stock up because of those reduced prices are mentioning. Remember if you are not driving home after the cruise (flying) you will also have to take those bottles onto a plane. (I know this was not part of the question, but thought it worth while)

Excellent point! This is what stops me from stocking up as with cruises it seems our luggage limit for the airlines is always maxxed out. There was one time several years ago in Jamaica I made sure I had an empty suitcase and brought home 6 bottles of Jack Daniels Silver Label as you, at least at that time, could not get it in the states. The shop offered to pack them up for me I said..no thanks...opened up the suitecase and loaded her up! LOL

I just, last year during the blizzard, opened the last bottle. :-)

MMMM, Sheridens is wonderful. Kind of like having a Kaluha and Cream, a bit better though. We were told when purchasing the liquor you could have 2 bottles duty free each person. But on the last day when they tell you that you have to declare your purchases, they say only 1 bottle per person is duty free. We had 5 bottles and didn't have to pay any extra, but would have paid it since the prices were so cheap it didn't make even come close to buying it in the states. I will have to check the Kaluha out in, what was it, Cozemel? love that too!!:D

We had to pay tax on ours last August out of Baltimore. Like the prior post stated I think it was the quantity we had but it was still well worth the extra 52.00. We plan to do it again this September :)

We're also sailing out of Baltimore this September. How many bottles did you bring back?

And St. Thomas is U.S.

I made a big mistake in Curacao this year. Didn't buy enough curacao. It's difficult to find here, and I discovered a great martini using it.......

You should be able to find curacao at any good liquor store with it's salt. It's a common liquor used in many specialty drinks at bars.

• 4 weeks later...
Sheridens ,...................ok you got me going,................what size bottle, and what should Ibe paying ??

I hear you al say St Thomas, thats one of the prots we will be going to, so take a picture of it in the local store and MAKE CC match the price???

Thanks

Archived