Eurodam, Westerdam or Nieu Amsterdam for Eastern Caribbean

edgeman61

The DW and I are considering an Eastern Caribbean cruise on HAL for 2012 or 2013.

It appears that the Westerdam, the Eurodam and the Nieu Amsterdam all have 7 night itineraries that are similar enough (St Thomas vs. St Marteen).

Of these 3 ships which do you prefer? We have only sailed on the Amsterdam.

Thanks in advance,

Of these 3 ships which do you prefer?
With identical itineraries I would rank them Nieuw A 1st, Eurodam 2nd, Westerdam 3rd. A big plus for the Signature ships is the Tamarind, and the Silk den is another bonus. However, I personally would choose St Maarten over St Thomas any time, so that could shuffle my choices.

Day of the week departure might play into your decision. (Saturday vs Sunday). I work in retail on commission so don't like to miss two Saturdays on the sales floor - thus a Sunday departure works best for me.

I was interested in experiencing Tamarind as well but realized that the Sig ships added extra cabins to basically the same tonnage and I prefer less crowds. I saw a post on another thread mentioning more crowds at the Lido on the NA and Euro, and the addition of those poolside cabana's must mean less general space at the pool and on the open decks. - thus we chose Westerdam.

I've never been on the Amsterdam, but have been on the Eurodam and the Westerdam (twice) Both are nice. But, with identical itineraries, I'd have to go with the Eurodam. I'd also take St Maarten over St Thomas every day.

Unless you are going to use the Silk Den, Tamarind or the cabanas a lot I would be tempted to go with the Westerdam. These 3 ships are very similar, but Westerdam holds less passengers and typically will save you a few bucks over the two newer ships. Westerdam also has a lot more SS/SY "mini-suite" category cabins if you are looking into one of those.

Westerdam also has a lot more SS/SY "mini-suite" category cabins if you are looking into one of those.
But the Sig ships have 125 more Verandah class cabins to choose from if that's what you want.

Always interested to see that so many cc-ers prefer St Martin! Res gustandibus etc. etc., but I picked Eurodam this time because I adore having the chance to go over to St. John. If time permits, there is also a great restaurant called Cuzzins for mango margaritas and conch curry.

Archived