Favorite Souvenir from your Med Cruise

azlove2cruise

Venice - Large Venitian Mask which hangs on my wall.

Small Venitian Mask which we use as Christmas orgnaments.

Murano glass necklaces

Rome - Book - then and now. Clear over view page of what it used to look like.

All ports I try to find a small water color or oil painting (or print) by local artists. They are hanging on my wall. I usually always take a photo of the artists with the print.

Charms for my charm bracelet, which I wear frequently.

Magnets....

DH gets T-shirts and hats along with shot glasses.

Thanks for everyone elses suggestions....

All these things are wonderful souvenirs.Also consider buying calendars from each place that appeals to you, perhaps 5x7 with big photos. I keep them hung up even after the year for the pictures. I also give them as gifts and they are much appreciated.

Just be careful when you use the calendar. I bought one in Prague and the week started on Monday, I was screwed up all year! :eek:

• 6 months later...

Our favorites:

Mykonos- Pitcher with Mykonos landscape design on it

Santorini- gold bracelet

Mallorca-pearl necklace

Tuscany- Linen hand towels

Venice-Chandelier with about 50 glass fruits hanging off of it in mostly amber colors. We saw it and just fell in love!

We are leaving for Italy this weekend!!! My goals are to find:

three plates for a display rack from Tuscany with the traditional poppy flowers in the design.

two local drawings to hang in hallway

small Murano chandelier for a hallway

Wish me luck!!!

Since I was a little girl I have collected Salt and Pepper shakers where ever I go. I have a China Cabinet full and boxes in storage. I have a couple small shelves in my kitchen for display. I change them with the seasons. One day I will have a place to line them all up and remember where each one came from.

Since I was a little girl I have collected Salt and Pepper shakers where ever I go. I have a China Cabinet full and boxes in storage. I have a couple small shelves in my kitchen for display. I change them with the seasons. One day I will have a place to line them all up and remember where each one came from.

Any chance you've been to Zingerman's Roadhouse in Ann Arbor? We were just there last week and they have an entire room full of novelty salt and pepper shakers.

As a military family member, then active duty, then spouse, then reservist, I got to travel a lot! We have a room that my dad started and we have continued, we call it the "World Room". It has furniture from the Philippines, a rug from Iraq, chess sets & tables from Italy, bottle stoppers from all over (started the collection in Pisa with some basic marble stoppers). I also got some campodimente flowers in Pisa and a couple little Venetian glass pieces. I love Italy, the woodwork, metalwork, leather, food, wine... Can't wait to go back in May!

DSC01664-1.jpg

DSC01669.jpg

DSC01668-1.jpg

A little hard to see because of glare and the mirror back, but after reading all those descriptions I really wanted to see some pictures! I also collect bookmarks - Italy got me started on that habit too, with some lace ones from Venice.

Vic

As a military brat, sailor, spouse, I have traveled all my life. We have a room in the house that was my dad's concept, "a World Room". We have furniture from the Philippines, a rug from Iraq, ornaments from all over. The big chess set was bought by my folks but they bought the small table to go with it. When we were in Sorrento we go the big table and the small chess set. Now they fit much better! I started my bottle stopper collection in Pisa with a small, basic marble stopper. And I love the Campodimonte flowers and Venetian glass.

DSC01664-1.jpg

DSC01669.jpg

DSC01668-1-1.jpg

My friend and I were on Santorini in Sept. It ws really hot. We saw a sign that said pottery studio. We walked and walked up the narrow streets following the signs and finally came to the studio on the top of the hill with a great view.

The potter was present and working on a pot. The studio had wonderful lamps, vases, plates etc. Way too big to bring home. The clerk ask if we would like some water? Yes!He brought us water in beautiful pottery glasses. I ask if these were for sale? He said, "Last year, but these were for personal use only".

But he went into another room and came out with small footed wine glasses finished with a light beige glaze. They were perfect.

I immediately said,"I will take one".He looked at me amazed, "One?"

I replied, "I live alone... " But then burst out laughing, I mean, I live alone but I DO have friends... so I will take four."

I use them all the time.

Aslo purchased an alabaster candle stick from an artist in Volterra, Italy at his studio. He explained the qualities of alabaster and showed us how he carves this matieral . We spent about a hour in his shop. It was a great day.

As a military family member, then active duty, then spouse, then reservist, I got to travel a lot! We have a room that my dad started and we have continued, we call it the "World Room". It has furniture from the Philippines, a rug from Iraq, chess sets & tables from Italy, bottle stoppers from all over (started the collection in Pisa with some basic marble stoppers). I also got some campodimente flowers in Pisa and a couple little Venetian glass pieces. I love Italy, the woodwork, metalwork, leather, food, wine... Can't wait to go back in May!

DSC01664-1.jpg

DSC01669.jpg

DSC01668-1.jpg

A little hard to see because of glare and the mirror back, but after reading all those descriptions I really wanted to see some pictures! I also collect bookmarks - Italy got me started on that habit too, with some lace ones from Venice.

Vic

Thanks for the pics! Wow! A whole "world room" dedicated to travel memoirs...very cool. Love the stopper collection. Will have to copy that. I'm going to need to rethink my luggage situation to make sure I can pack everything. I guess if we buy anything large, we can ship to the US? Thanks for sharing.

bought the wine stoppers in Venice as souvenirs for family members, I always buy a calendar , from the Louvre, Vatican etc...that I hang in my kitchen, always reminds me of my trip for one full year!

We bought nice wallets for our sons in Venice, was able to get a good price for 4 of them. The nice thing about these souvenirs is that they did not take up too much space or weight in our luggage.

Oh and if you see something you really like, buy it. I still regret not buying some earrings in Venice:)

I collect masks, so I would say my mask from Venice. It wasn't the most ornate but I wanted to carry it home....they wrapped it well and it fit in my carryon (backpack). It takes time to find the perfect one (and they are EVERYWHERE) but it was well worth it.

Any chance you've been to Zingerman's Roadhouse in Ann Arbor? We were just there last week and they have an entire room full of novelty salt and pepper shakers.

Really, never heard of it, but may have to make it a day trip. Thanks

g

Florence a leather bag that I still use (not daily).

Venice - mask that I had framed and is in my bedroom.

A lot of places I try to buy things I'll use and are easy to pack. Favorites are dish towels, oils, perfumes, jewellery.

I remember buying my mom some herbes de Provence while in Avignon. I got a big bag for 1 euro at a neighborhood farmer's market. At the tourist market they were 10 euros for a bag less than half the size. Although mine was just in plastic and the tourist ones were in pretty fabric and twine bags.

I'm planning on buying some leather gloves this spring while in Florence.

I've only taken one cruise to the med. but I got some things that I love.

Rome- Swarovski Rosary from St. Peters and a hand painting purchased at the spanish steps that I had framed and hung over the fireplace.

Rhodes- a ceramic bowl that is on a stand on the counter in my kitchen. I had it shipped and it was broken when I got it. I called the store, sent them a picture so they would know which one I purchased and they sent a new one.

Tivoli- new leather purse.

Israel- Olive wood Cross that hangs in living room.

I was about to ask for photo of chandeleir also and also where to look for tiles. But I think they would be heavy and fragile to transport wouldnt they? We had a scare in Czech Republic when our carryon thats normally a cabin size had to go under a bar there and they wanted $800 to add to luggage. So I am hesitant of what to buy when travelling now.

Christmas ornaments from each country which we love displaying each year on our tree, spices from Amalfi Coast, shawls from Florence, a beautiful Murano glass bead necklace and earrings, leather belt from Naples, tablecloths from Burano and St Paul de Vence, a cross from a shop at the Vatican and so many other cherished items.

My favorite place in Rome, Italy is the Trevi Fountain. My last evening there I found a water globe with the Trevi Fountain inside. I packed it in my carry-on to avoid breakage without a thought to the restrictions on liquids on the flight. When I reached the US it was confiscated. If I find another one when I go back in October it will be bubble wrapped in my checked luggage.

• 2 weeks later...

My mother and I cruised to the Med last summer and we wrote and mailed ourselves a postcard from each place we went. It was fun picking out postcards that had pictures of the places we went and hunting for a place to buy stamps in each different country. At the end I made a collage with other ticket stubs and memorabilia. I attached a photo.

photo.jpg.eae1dfa1649e839f47bd833d901bf736.jpg

Archived