Coffee Question

motheroftwoboys

[...]

They have self serve coffee machine in the Terrace as well as the professional espresso machine

Lyn

Is it available 24/7? I thought about having one in the hours between breakfast and lunch, and it felt strange going in there to get one. Maybe because there was no-one else (except staff) about?

Is it available 24/7? I thought about having one in the hours between breakfast and lunch, and it felt strange going in there to get one. Maybe because there was no-one else (except staff) about?

As far as I know it is there 24/7 but I have not gone in the night

Yes during breakfast & lunch we have gone to the Terrace if we missed the coffee in Horizons ...it is there till 11am on the R-ships

I think on the Marina the machine was available anytime but we went to Barristas

So no lack of coffee ;)

you can always ask the wait staff as well

Lyn

Thanks Lyn

Other coffee info (as found on Insignia)

Ordinary coffee available in Horizons until 11am, but cappuccinos available there from 10am on, once bar staff start.

Also cappuccinos available in GDR at breakfast, if you ask.

Cappuccinos not available at Martini (though specialty coffees like Irish coffee etc available there)

Thanks Lyn

Also cappuccinos available in GDR at breakfast, if you ask.

At any meal if you ask ;)

Also available in the TERRACE ...just ask

One of the waiters that we have seen on a few cruise always begs us to let him make us a cappuccino....I try to limit myself to 1 a day though

I limit myself to cappuccinos before 11am: an Italian custom that I've adopted (okay to fill yourself up with milk in the morning, not okay in the afternoon - no room for gelato!:D)

Maybe not gelato, but O's coffee ice cream (in a malt/shake if you're feeling wicked!) is a wonderful treat in the afternoon too. Like an "iced cappuccino."

Yummmmm!

And do you have chocolate syrup in your coffee milkshake? That is the best - a mocha milkshake. Did you realize that the coffee ice cream is sometimes sugar free, so that makes if ever better. That much less sugar to deal with. The cinnamon ice cream (also suger free) is to die for. That is by far my favorite ice cream.

Just look at what I am talking about right after breakfast!! Not good.

Bobi

And do you have chocolate syrup in your coffee milkshake? That is the best - a mocha milkshake. Did you realize that the coffee ice cream is sometimes sugar free, so that makes if ever better. That much less sugar to deal with. The cinnamon ice cream (also suger free) is to die for. That is by far my favorite ice cream.

Just look at what I am talking about right after breakfast!! Not good.

Bobi

Enjoy your daydreams, Bobi. At least they aren't fattening!:D

Well, TKS, "sugar-free" does NOT mean "fat-free"!

One of the best summer desserts is a do-it-yourself (the GDR had never heard of it) which involves asking for a vanilla ice cream and a single shot of (decaf if caffeine keeps you up) espresso to be served simultaneously. The simply pour the espresso on top of the ice cream and you have the delicious and simple Italian dessert called an "affogato." At home we serve it to guests in a martini glass.

Another great and easy Italian dessert is tart lemon sorbetto with a shot of prosecco or vodka poured on top.

Well, TKS, "sugar-free" does NOT mean "fat-free"!

One of the best summer desserts is a do-it-yourself (the GDR had never heard of it) which involves asking for a vanilla ice cream and a single shot of (decaf if caffeine keeps you up) espresso to be served simultaneously. The simply pour the espresso on top of the ice cream and you have the delicious and simple Italian dessert called an "affogato." At home we serve it to guests in a martini glass.

Another great and easy Italian dessert is tart lemon sorbetto with a shot of prosecco or vodka poured on top.

I like your ideas, JPR. I'll have to try an affogato, something I've not encountered in Italy before.

However, sadly, that is also more fattening than daydreams, what I meant in my comment to Bobi.

We just returned from 12 days on Nautica. The coffee was undrinkable! We depended on the Illy machine in Terraces, but so many others did so that it was frequently out of beans.

We noticed a deterioration this winter on Insignia. The coffee has gotten worse since then. I can only conclude that Oceania has decided to economize by purchasing low quality and/or very old beans on the theory that most cruisers will not care.

In the Dining Room, the only way we could get coffee, other than espresso or cappuccino, that we would drink was to send someone to the Illy machine 3 decks up.

The bad coffee destroys the quality of the dinning experienc. When we complained, NONE OF THE STAFF SEEMED TO CARE!

We just returned from 12 days on Nautica. The coffee was undrinkable! We depended on the Illy machine in Terraces, but so many others did so that it was frequently out of beans.

We noticed a deterioration this winter on Insignia. The coffee has gotten worse since then. I can only conclude that Oceania has decided to economize by purchasing low quality and/or very old beans on the theory that most cruisers will not care.

In the Dining Room, the only way we could get coffee, other than espresso or cappuccino, that we would drink was to send someone to the Illy machine 3 decks up.

The bad coffee destroys the quality of the dinning experienc. When we complained, NONE OF THE STAFF SEEMED TO CARE!

"Undrinkable" means different things to different people. Coffee that I love my husband sometimes finds undrinkable and vice versa. Some people think Starbucks is undrinkable.

I am sure the staff cared. But if they have a single complaint (or even a handful) about the coffee and the rest of the cruisers are satisfied, what can they realistically do?

[...]

One of the best summer desserts is a do-it-yourself (the GDR had never heard of it) which involves asking for a vanilla ice cream and a single shot of (decaf if caffeine keeps you up) espresso to be served simultaneously. The simply pour the espresso on top of the ice cream and you have the delicious and simple Italian dessert called an "affogato." [...].

This must be an affogato vergine (Virgin Affogato). :D

My favourite version is one scoop of vanilla icecream, shot of espresso & liqueur glass of Amaretto (almond liqueur) or Nocello (walnut liqueur). As above, pour coffee & liqueur over icecream. Must be served in a stemmed glass. Serve with thin biscuits like Almond Bread, Cat's tongues etc.

[quote name='JPR']Nope, that would then be an "Affogato all'amaretto" or "all'nocello" (or "All' whatever the name of you alcohol you add...)[/quote]
No, the virgin affogato I was referring to was the one you described without alcohol.;)

No doubt, it appears, from your perspective! (Something tellls me that the espresso could be dispensed with altogether....)

Nevertheless, in Italy and top Italian restaurants in the U.S., the prevailing meaning of an "affogato" is vanilla ice cream with espresso poured on top. Everything beyond that is an "affogato all' (insert your poison)"...

Archived