Rail Choices

ihopfar

In my planning ahead for my independant land tour next June before my cruise, I am trying to figure out which rail cars are the best on the Alaska Railroad between Fairbanks and Denali and Denali and Anchorage.

Besides the basic lower level seating Alaska Railraod Adventure class car, I see three choices:

1. GoldStar service (booked through Alaska Railroad)

2. Princess domed cars (booked through Princess Lodges as a package with hotel at Denali)

3. Holland America domed cars (booked through Grayline tours and other related operators)

Am I missing any other rail cars on the railroad?

How do these compare?

Thanks,

Brad

My dad and I did the entire trip this May in Adventure Class (basic class) directly from the railroad. Other than the segment from Wasilla to Tallketna which had a high school class on board, we had thee dome car, which usually had a 20 minute limit to ourselves. Dad had been on the Holland America cars 15 years ago and prefers the Alaska Railroad half domes since you can look forward. We also saved quite a bit.

Royal Caribbean/Celebrity also has private cars, bit I don't think they sell them separately.

Well RCI also has their own cars. Princess cars are assigned table seating- with 2 riding backwards. HAL, RCI and Alaska RR are all forward.

"Best" depends. :) I book the basic seats every trip, suits me just fine. Very comfortable. I rode the entire run of the Alaska RR this year, and spent most of my time in the dome car on the Anchorage/Fairbanks run. NEVER full. The rest of my time, was in the uncrowded vestibules.

Your post lists separate booked segments?? You may want to also consider taking advantage of coupon offers, so be certain each segment has a coupon, compared to a single Anchorage/Fairbanks coupon offer.

Archived