Celebrity Cruises Cancels One Hawaii Cruise

jsea

TPKeller,

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the Infinity has the pods replaced more often than the other "M" class ships and the dry docks have occured around this time of year, almost every year since she has been sailing

Astrid

Hi Phil,

If that happened to the Summit next year, I guess we could all take the refund and stay in Los Angeles for 2 weeks. The city would never be the same!

In all seriousness, I really do feel bad for those poor souls and hope they can take advantage of the free cruise.

Do you know Bob? GREAT plan B. I like having a plan B:)

Phil

Yep, I'm packed with nowhere to go. A free cruise is generous, but I'm not sure if we are able to redeem it before March of next year. We didn't use our free cruise for our cancelled Millennium cruise in 2000. Don't know really what else to say.................. :(

Sorry to hear of the cancelation for all those who had planned for so long. We had the same thing happen on Infinity February of 2003, so yes it does seem to happen every year around this time! We were also leaving on the weekend and heard just days before on CC! We also were offered a free cruise and we took it a month later. Actually since we had booked B2B and both cruises were canceled we got two free cruises. We just left our bags packed for the month!

I agree that Celebrity is going the max to compensate those affected.

Costs involved will probably be tacked on to the existing lawsuit. Does anyone still think the two new ships will be built by Chantiers de l'Atlantique?

Hope everyone can get rescheduled with something that works for them.

Just curious as to where the drydock will be accomplished. Since the cancelled cruise is from San Diego to Honolulu, will it only be a 4-5 day dry dock? Will the Infinity then sail to Honolulu with no passengers, that's about a 4 day trip?

Hmmmmmm......

Reggie:D

We've been watching and reading this thread because we're on the April 6 sailing going from Hawaii to Ensenada. The Infinity seems to have the most trouble of any ship in the fleet. I have always maintained that RCCL made the biggest mistake when they had the Millie class ships builts in Altiers than using Meyer-Werft which is where all the other Celebrity vessels except the Meridian were built. Those ships were trouble free.

Reggie, there are yards around Long Beach where they drydock the Infinity very easily. This is the one time I wish I was still at my old job and we still had an vested interest in Celebrity. Our engineers would have had this problem solved very quickly.

Anita

We've been watching and reading this thread because we're on the April 6 sailing going from Hawaii to Ensenada.

Reggie, there are yards around Long Beach where they drydock the Infinity very easily. This is the one time I wish I was still at my old job and we still had an vested interest in Celebrity. Our engineers would have had this problem solved very quickly.

Anita

It looks like you'll have a well rested crew for your cruise.

I don't see why they don't just replace the pods with the ones used on the RCCL Radiance class ships. There's been no trouble with them that I know of.

I'm just curious, has anyone kept up a list of the affected ships and logged the dates and repairs they have had?

It would be interesting to see, for example, a history of the pod repairs for Infinity over the years. One might be able to make a somewhat educated guess as to when it was "about that time" for another repair... and pick their cruise accordingly.

Theron

All you have to do is browse for Celebrity Infinity Cancellation and you will find out that Infinity goes in drydock this month (2005), went in last year (March 28th & April 11th cruises cancelled), went in in April of 2002 (13th & 20th cruises cancelled). Celebrity cancelled the Infinity's February 23rd, 2003 sailing perhaps because they expected the ship to break down? Looks like February through April might be good months to avoid sailing on the Infinity!

ABSCruiseLuvers,

Granted, they really need to fix the blasted things for good, but maybe it's time to cruise a little later in the year or skip the M-class ships.

Or are you simply proving tbelian's theory of cruising for free? ;)

Disclaimer to avoid flaming. (Please note the wink, I am being facetious and mean no disprespect).

Jim,

I've been thinking about you guys and really, really hoping your cruise goes as planned. Maybe it's a good thing Don and Ho cancelled - I can't imagine how they'd react to another involuntary cancellation.

I stayed optimistic during the Millennium fiasco last year (and except for the date change that we didn't like) and it turned out OK for the people on the original transatlantic. I would think they could do a pod replacement in under a week and that would allow plenty of time to sail to Honolulu.

Maybe you should contact Celebrity and see if you could just take the ship to Honolulu instead of flying. Should even be able to get one heck of an upgrade.

Seriously, good luck on having a great cruise. Heck, Joan just got the great news that she doesn't have to cancel, surely God wouldn't do this to her.

We are on the Millennium TA cruise on 11/18/05 and they are suppose to go into dry dock right before our cruise. Hopefully they will check out the pods real good. We were on the Infinity in Feb. of this year on the SA trip and missed one country due to the pod problem. Wish they could get a fix on the pods and not have to worry about them. I believe that the Constellation has not had problems.

Don

I believe that the Constellation has not had problems.

Don

Supposedly the Connie had the fix while still under construction at the shipbuilder. What seems strange is why this fix worked, at least so far and the fixes to the older Millie class ships is only good for a year or so.

Supposedly the Connie had the fix while still under construction at the shipbuilder. What seems strange is why this fix worked, at least so far and the fixes to the older Millie class ships is only good for a year or so.

Maybe Celebrity wants to give out free cruises to savy cruisers! :(

So all, book the Infinity for Feb/March 2006 and chances the ship will break down!

Ah, now you have hit on the real problem. I think you are on your own for any airfares and hotels that you did not book through the cruiseline. Hopefully you have purchased a good cruise insurance policy and can get a refund that way.

So what do they do for folks that have paid their hotels in advance? Were millie to barcelona and not sur how a refund would work. Not that the Millie would ever break.

kevin

I LOVE that movie!!! I am a medical doctor, and Mel Brookes' (sp?) portrayl of medical students and their professors tickles me every time! And Terri Garr!!! I think she could make me laugh at even the most mundane act.

I am enormously pleased to share in the comic sense of humor of Celebrity cruisers, although I haven't been an X-cruiser yet. Only 8 more days--unless they cancel my cruise, too.

Whew! Glad my TA recommended Century.

My heart bleeds for all you Infinity cruisers. You have my sincere condolences.:(

kbrum01

RCCL Song of America '90

Carnival Fantasy '91

Windjammer Polynesia '93

RCCL Nordic Empress '04

X Century Apr 2 '05

ABSCruiseLuvers,

Granted, they really need to fix the blasted things for good, but maybe it's time to cruise a little later in the year or skip the M-class ships.

Or are you simply proving tbelian's theory of cruising for free? ;)

Disclaimer to avoid flaming. (Please note the wink, I am being facetious and mean no disprespect).

I know...and only one free cruise out of the deal...two at half price...and you'r right...thats why we will be on Mercury in two weeks...not a M class!

Archived