Formal , Will I Do

leslock

I've done a few P&O cruises now on Ventura/Azura/Oceana. Whilst the majority have worn a tux on formal night there have also been quite a few in a dark suit and tie or bow tie and you will not be out of place. What you suggests sounds fine and more than complies with the dress code so don't worry about people suggesting you might be in the 'minority' in a suit or having the insensitivity to tell you your late wife would have preferred you to be wearing a tux! You will not be rejected from any of the restaurants or bars for wearing a regular suit. Have a really wonderful cruise and enjoy the relaxing break it sounds like you need.

Wife?, nahh.. clue is in the screen name .. lol.. she'd want to get rid of my games consoles, have a shelf in the fridge for something other than beer and ... :D:D

Sorry I should have spotted that!

It's a shame you're not on our cruise as I'm sure I could find a pair of heels that would suite you! :D

The reason I am going on this cruise solo is the fact my dear wife of 52 years passed away 3 weeks ago , I have a marvelous supportive family , I need to get away from all so I can grieve and mourn on my own amongst strangers , it is some thing I must do alone , the Formal does not appeal to me , if I want to slob out I just hope I can without upsetting anyone

So sorry for your loss and I totally understand the need to just get away from it all.

I'm relatively new to this cruising lark and have not been on a P & O cruise before but reading all the relevant websites I believe that you don't have to do the formal nights if you go to the buffets to eat.

Obviously you wouldn't be able to then go into the bars but maybe that would suit you.

There are other nights where you can mix if you chose to.

Whatever you decide I hope you have a peaceful and enjoyable cruise.

Right , I now have a Tux , M&S £33.00 ( cheap ) sort my pants out and I am ready to face the world :cool:

Bargain!

Sounds like you'll do just fine.

I may be a female but I too don't like dressing up, I really have no clue when it comes to what to wear.

I have bought several outfits and I hope they will be suitable but I am a jeans and t shirt sort of person.

I never look smart no matter what I do, but I'm going to give it a real go!

I hope you have a great holiday.

Right , I now have a Tux , M&S £33.00 ( cheap ) sort my pants out and I am ready to face the world :cool:

That's great! I hope you have a really nice holiday and make lots of new friends whilst you're enjoying your cruise :cool:

Bargain!

Sounds like you'll do just fine.

I may be a female but I too don't like dressing up, I really have no clue when it comes to what to wear.

I have bought several outfits and I hope they will be suitable but I am a jeans and t shirt sort of person.

I never look smart no matter what I do, but I'm going to give it a real go!

I hope you have a great holiday.

Ditto Catherine Janaway ! Just packed my formal gear and I feel like I did when I got married --- "How did anyone get ME in this gear?" Loved the formal nights last year though and am looking forward to them this year. ;) (then I can get the jeans back on when I get home!)

All the best Leslock - have a great cruise and all the best to you. x :)

I think we will be the ones that stand out on formal nights as my dad will not wear a suit for love nor money, so buffet and a night on the balcony i think. Then again it's probably buffet all the time as i don't think he will sit for ages in the MDR :(

I think we will be the ones that stand out on formal nights as my dad will not wear a suit for love nor money, so buffet and a night on the balcony i think. Then again it's probably buffet all the time as i don't think he will sit for ages in the MDR :(

Our first week long cruise was on Ocean Village 2 and we did a mix of buffet dining and dining at The Bistro. We had a fantastic time. Last year we tried P&O's Oceana and loved Freedom dining and did a mixture of formal, select and buffet ---- we loved every evening. (Ironically there was a Godmother Evening on Ocean Village 2 that we avoided and had chips and hot dogs in the buffet followed by a good film on the tv !!!)

Am sure you will have a great holiday - do what suits you best and enjoy it all. Life's too short to be worrying about what others' think !!! Have a great holiday :)

Archived