Formal , Will I Do

leslock

Basically I am a slob , dressing up is a chore , I am going on the Oceana in Nov 2011 on my own , I have a dark suit with a fine pin stripe , white shirt and a few ties ., will this be OK ?

Could some one give me info on gratuities on this ship :o

Hi leslock and welcome.

That's you sorted for day wear ;)

Seriously, a dark suit, white shirt and tie will be fine. However, you may want to take one bow tie for formal nights, which you can wear with the above. Less expensive to take one with you than buy on board, if you felt that you would like to wear one.

We are also on Oceana in November, E131 on the 21st.

PS

You may find more information on any queries that you have if you go to the 'Community' on the P&O site. It's a forum just like this but maybe with more P&O cruisers and a whole section on each ship.

I'm on this cruise as well. Look forward to meeting everyone.

Gratuities will depend on whether you are on Fredom dining (auto tipping), or club dining - pay at the end of the cruise - allow around £4 per day per passenger.

Recommended gratuities are £1.60 for restaurant waiters and £1.50 for cabin steward per person per day. If you are on Freedom dining the £1.60 will be automatically charged to your account as you will have different waiters each night. If you are on club dining, where you have waiters for your cruise duration, you pay in cash on the last night

Brian

Recommended gratuities are £1.60 for restaurant waiters and £1.50 for cabin steward per person per day. If you are on Freedom dining the £1.60 will be automatically charged to your account as you will have different waiters each night. If you are on club dining, where you have the same waiters for your cruise duration, you pay in cash on the last night

Brian

Get yer self a Tux or you'll look a right plank. :o Definitely you'll need a dickie for formal night!! :eek: We've been on Oceana and found it quite dressy,,my hubby put his suit on even on casual evenings and didn't look out of place.

Get yer self a Tux or you'll look a right plank. :o Definitely you'll need a dickie for formal night!! :eek: We've been on Oceana and found it quite dressy,,my hubby put his suit on even on casual evenings and didn't look out of place.

Only £50 in Matalan or Asda and well worth it not to worry if you're dressed correctly or not :)

From our recent Ventura experience i'd say most wore TUX on formal nights some did wear buisness suits (some light suits) and they do stand out in the croud. Myself i'd feel in the spotlight with standard suit and tie on formal nights even though i don't suppose anyone else would be bothered to notice.

I think it's much easier being a man for these formal nights than being a woman!

Couldn't disagree more.. Women can just buy a nice lightweight fancy dress and some shoes..

Guys have to be trussed up like a Turkey and feel uncomfortable and hot throughout the dinner or dare remove their jackets at the table.. And then hand-tied or clip-on bow tie, red, white, black. And then what cufflinks to wear and then either waistcoat, cumberband or...

And then hard heavy uncomfortable leather shoes..

hmm...

Couldn't disagree more.. Women can just buy a nice lightweight fancy dress and some shoes..

Guys have to be trussed up like a Turkey and feel uncomfortable and hot throughout the dinner or dare remove their jackets at the table.. And then hand-tied or clip-on bow tie, red, white, black. And then what cufflinks to wear and then either waistcoat, cumberband or...

And then hard heavy uncomfortable leather shoes..

hmm...

Have you tried wearing high heeled shoes? ;)

Have you tried wearing high heeled shoes? ;)

Funny you should say that.... I think at a uni Rocky Horror Party... :D:D.

But you girls can just throw anything on and the guys and DHs will always say it looks great to A) Speed things up and B) To avoid a verbal backlash .. Yes dear.. That looks fine, no you don't look fat in that, yes that necklace goes with... :D:D

But you girls can just throw anything on and the guys and DHs will always say it looks great to A) Speed things up and B) To avoid a verbal backlash .. Yes dear.. That looks fine, no you don't look fat in that, yes that necklace goes with... :D:D

Mmm, funny you should say that too! :D

Now we gals all know why you're a Single Cruiser!!!!!!!! :eek:

The reason I am going on this cruise solo is the fact my dear wife of 52 years passed away 3 weeks ago , I have a marvelous supportive family , I need to get away from all so I can grieve and mourn on my own amongst strangers , it is some thing I must do alone , the Formal does not appeal to me , if I want to slob out I just hope I can without upsetting anyone

The reason I am going on this cruise solo is the fact my dear wife of 52 years passed away 3 weeks ago , I have a marvelous supportive family , I need to get away from all so I can grieve and mourn on my own amongst strangers , it is some thing I must do alone , the Formal does not appeal to me , if I want to slob out I just hope I can without upsetting anyone

Sorry to hear of your loss. It's only a couple of nights per week and I can't see a man of our seniority upsetting anyone.. I think a dark suit and tie would be fine.

Try and relax.. I find the sea so calming and can spend hours on top deck at night just star gazing, listening to the water and reflecting..

I hope your wife doesn't read this! :D

Thanks for the laugh.

As said before just get a dinner suit.. 99% will be in a Tux you may feel out of place. Its no different to wearing a suit. If its uncomfortable then you are no doubt in the wrong size shirt !!! best tip is to go up half a size then you would feel strangled !!!

You men moan too much.. try wearing a wired bra... tights... and high heals.. and an long dress !!! and bare arms ( in the air con ) freezeing to death to look lovely..

walk a mile in my high heals then moan ;);) just jokeing!!

have a great cruise

I am so very sorry to road of your sad loss and can fully understand how you feel about dressing up. However, what do you think your late wife would say to you? I bet she'd want you to spend the £50 in readiness for the cruise and be proud of you .......... and how do you know that she won't be watching? Go on, Les, make her and your family proud :)

You certainly won't upset anyone else, but you may fancy a drink amongst strangers just to chat. It would be upsetting for you to be turned away from any of the bars as a time when you least need that to happen.

I am so very sorry to road of your sad loss and can fully understand how you feel about dressing up. However, what do you think your late wife would say to you? I bet she'd want you to spend the £50 in readiness for the cruise and be proud of you .......... and how do you know that she won't be watching? Go on, Les, make her and your family proud :)

You certainly won't upset anyone else, but you may fancy a drink amongst strangers just to chat. It would be upsetting for you to be turned away from any of the bars as a time when you least need that to happen.

But with respect a dark suit and tie is clearly accepted in P&O regs. And as a pensioner (56 years + min marriage age puts him at least in 70s) extra expense at a difficult time..

Black tie nights on board are an opportunity for ladies to wear glamorous evening wear including cocktail dresses, ballgown or even a smart trouser suit. For men, a dinner jacket or tuxedo are the norm, but a dark lounge or business suit and tie can be worn as an alternative. You can also wear formal national dress. Attire for Black tie nights can be purchased on board.

Appropriate attire is essential for entry to the ship's bars and restaurants.

To the OP, I hope you find some peace and maybe some new friends, your dinner mates will no doubt ask on the first night and will understand.. If you have a balcony cabin there is always the option of room service if you fancy some quiet time watching the sunset...

My mum passed away recently just 3 days before what would have been my parents 60th wedding anniversary. I can't imagine what my Dad is going through and my message to you is to do what YOU think is right --- you know your what your wife would have wanted more than anyone. If it is too formal for you then use the Buffet - you've been married long enough to have made her proud whatever ...

Whatever, our sympathy goes out to you and I hope that your cruise is what you'd want it to be. :) Take care and do what is comfortable for you.

Archived