Walkie talkies while on board

PATRIOTSRULE

In reality, there is no way to use them on a crowded ship without making unnecessary noise that will disturb others, unless both parties are in their cabins--

This (obviously) is where we disagree. There are plenty of opportunities for a user to stand off to the side and use his radio quietly, which is the only way I've seen it done. For someone to be angered by the mere thought of a walkie talkie tells me that person is going out of their way to be mad about something. If I were making an effort to use such a radio with consideration, I wouldn't be concerned with a person like that. If not the radio, they'll just find something else to target.

This (obviously) is where we disagree. There are plenty of opportunities for a user to stand off to the side and use his radio quietly, which is the only way I've seen it done. For someone to be angered by the mere thought of a walkie talkie tells me that person is going out of their way to be mad about something. If I were making an effort to use such a radio with consideration, I wouldn't be concerned with a person like that. If not the radio, they'll just find something else to target.

I've taken two cruises and have been bothered by a lot of really inconsiderate walkie-talkie users on both. They have been oblivious to the fact that they were disrupting other people, or just felt entitled to do so regardless.

You know the old "I paid good money for this cruise so I'll do whatever I want" crowd. Of course in their egotistical and entitled brains they fail to realize that so did everyone else.

I've taken two cruises and have been bothered by a lot of really inconsiderate walkie-talkie users on both. They have been oblivious to the fact that they were disrupting other people, or just felt entitled to do so regardless.

You know the old "I paid good money for this cruise so I'll do whatever I want" crowd. Of course in their egotistical and entitled brains they fail to realize that so did everyone else.

I most certainly do.

They're likely the same jackstands that have no problem subjecting evryone near them with half of a cell-phone conversation.

Keelhauling them would be nice. Maybe the ships could make some money that way. For a nominal fee, we could keelhaul them. Methinks there'd be a line for that event. :p

I think our lives are so bombarded with technology all year long that a cruise vacation is an escape...so if people are shouting while you are trying to relax you won't be very successful. IMHO

:) Welllll, Luddites not so much......

To the OP, first thing I would do is check with the cruise line to see if walkie talkies are allowed in the childrens/teens area, if not then don't take them.

But I understand your concern in wanting to know where and what your children are doing.

Alot of people on the boards are very against using the walkie talkies because they have had bad experiences with unthoughtful passangers who use them loudly and all the time .

But having said that , I have had the same type of experience with people using cell phones in my everyday life and having to hear their business that I am not interested in. No matter where we go there are going to be THOSE people who are just down right annoying. Hope you figure it out and you and your family have a great cruise.

Cori

To the OP, first thing I would do is check with the cruise line to see if walkie talkies are allowed in the childrens/teens area, if not then don't take them.

But I understand your concern in wanting to know where and what your children are doing.

Alot of people on the boards are very against using the walkie talkies because they have had bad experiences with unthoughtful passangers who use them loudly and all the time .

But having said that , I have had the same type of experience with people using cell phones in my everyday life and having to hear their business that I am not interested in. No matter where we go there are going to be THOSE people who are just down right annoying. Hope you figure it out and you and your family have a great cruise.

Cori

Much more helpful than extreme opinions and tirades about the subject.:eek:

Has anyone used the walkie talkies while on board. We want to be able to keep in touch with the kids while they are in the youth program.

We seemed to have gotten away from your desire to keep in contact with your kids while they're away doing the kids program. As you probably noticed walkie talkies are a very heated subject:D

Are you thinking you need to keep them informed of where you are while they're at the kids club? Or are you interested in finding out what they're up to at any given time? Maybe knowing the ages of the children can help other parents offer some alternative age appropriate ways of accomplishing your goal without offending the masses;)

Oh and by the way, I'm pretty sure the Packers rule:D

I have no problem with "...the mere thought of a walkie talkie..."; in fact I am willing to go on record as loving to think about them. I have no problem with people who "...stand off to the side..." --and I am sure that all fellow posters would have no problem if walkie talkie users were discrete and courteous enough to use thm without being noticed.

BUT --and this is a big BUT --no one other than you is talking about such discrete and courteous users -- we could not be talking about them if we did not know they were usng them -- we are talking about the louts who impose their organizational conversations on their fellow passengers -- we are not talking about the unheard walkie talkie users -- who appear to co-exist with unicorns.

And please bear in mind these are regulated by the FCC and require you obtain a license. Also they are not legal in many countries including Canada and Mexico and most of the Caribbean and can cause a real problem for you. Check the appropriate regulations and keep yourself out of trouble. Using the frequencies assigned to another countries military or police are your issue.:mad:

People are very happy to give out very bad information and tell you they never had a problem so it must be ok. I suggest you not do it, but it's your choice.

I find it interesting that most cruise contracts specifically list "ham radio" as not being allowed. This in spite of the fact that international treaties exist that allow certain reciprocal operating privileges. "Walkie talkies" are NOT legal most places outside of the US. Here, they are permitted by FCC rules. Most people here assume that if you can buy it in a store here and use it at will, then the rules (actually LAWS) will be the same everywhere. For the most part, I think that people get away with it with no problems from the law, but things could get really ugly really fast. I don't know what level of fines one could face in another country, but here, the FCC is fond of fines that run $10,000.

I have no problem with "...the mere thought of a walkie talkie..."; in fact I am willing to go on record as loving to think about them. I have no problem with people who "...stand off to the side..." --and I am sure that all fellow posters would have no problem if walkie talkie users were discrete and courteous enough to use thm without being noticed.

BUT --and this is a big BUT --no one other than you is talking about such discrete and courteous users -- we could not be talking about them if we did not know they were usng them -- we are talking about the louts who impose their organizational conversations on their fellow passengers -- we are not talking about the unheard walkie talkie users -- who appear to co-exist with unicorns.

Great. But my take on this, and every other thread has nothing to do with louts. It has to do with folks over reacting to the very thought of walkie talkies.

There are numerous louts on all cruises. I'm sure only the tiniest percentage use radios. "Lout" is such a general term. I could probably apply it towards folks who are stubborn, unreasonable, full of themselves, and intolerant. But I won't.

We seemed to have gotten away from your desire to keep in contact with your kids while they're away doing the kids program. As you probably noticed walkie talkies are a very heated subject:D

Are you thinking you need to keep them informed of where you are while they're at the kids club? Or are you interested in finding out what they're up to at any given time? Maybe knowing the ages of the children can help other parents offer some alternative age appropriate ways of accomplishing your goal without offending the masses;)

Oh and by the way, I'm pretty sure the Packers rule:D

The following is just my opinion. I would not suggest giving the kids walkie talkies to have in the children's program, regardless of age, for the purpose of calling to tell them where the parents are going throughout that time or to find out what the kids are doing. Either scenario would probably interupt both their kids and the others in the program who are in the middle of activities.

If they're allowed (a big if), they would be best used solely for the purpose of the kids either calling to say they're ready to be picked up or, for teens, to arrange a place to meet or let the parents know they're leaving to go elsewhere (and get permission, as appropriate).

beachchick

In reality, there is no way to use them on a crowded ship without making unnecessary noise that will disturb others, unless both parties are in their cabins--in which case there are these things called telephones...

If you're at the pool, sports deck, or in other normally louder areas, you'll need to be yelling into the thing to overcome background noise. Yup, that's what I want, someone yelling into a walkie-talkie next to me. If you're in the library, the spa, pretty much anywhere else that tends to be quieter on the ship, using one will be disruptive to others. And using them in a restaurant or at a show is just downright rude, period.

Seriously, millions of people cruise a year without them and do just fine.

Actually there is a way. Many radios have "group modes" and vibrating call alert features. Also there is no need to yell into the radio. The microphones are sensitive enough to pick up your voice without shouting. In fact shouting causes distortion on the receiving radio.

To answer your point about being in a quiet area. Anyone that would use a 2 way radio in a library, spa, theater or other quiet area is simply bad mannered and there is no saving them. They are the same sort of person that screams into their cell phone in an elevator. However just because some people behave that way doesn't mean everyone will behave that way. The OP gave no indication that they would be inconsiderate with the radio.

I've taken numerous cruises and I can only recall seeing a "walkie-talkie" user once. I'm sure they were many users on each of the cruises I have taken but I just never noticed them.

The other side of that coin is the " I paid good money for this cruise so everyone will do whatever I want" crowd ;)

The other side of that coin is the " I paid good money for this cruise so everyone will do whatever I want" crowd ;)

The big difference is that I don't partake in any behaviors that would disrupt others.

In your opinion.

We don't run, we speak in hushed tones in public areas, we don't get drunk and stagger around, we don't chair hog at the pool or seat hog in the theater. We don't use walkie-talkies or cell phones, we avoid the buffets and all the problems that go with those.

We keep to ourselves, don't smoke, don't sail with kids, follow the requested guidelines for appropriate dinner attire, don't walk around the ship in bathrobes, we conduct ourselves in a way that doesn't draw attention and won't bother or disrupt anyone else.

We don't run, we speak in hushed tones in public areas, we don't get drunk and stagger around, we don't chair hog at the pool or seat hog in the theater. We don't use walkie-talkies or cell phones, we avoid the buffets and all the problems that go with those.

We keep to ourselves, don't smoke, don't sail with kids, follow the requested guidelines for appropriate dinner attire, don't walk around the ship in bathrobes, we conduct ourselves in a way that doesn't draw attention and won't bother or disrupt anyone else.

So people who don't comply with the above are part of the "I paid good money for this cruise so I'll do whatever I want crowd"? Talk about an egotistical and entitled brain. Well I have some news for you. The cruise lines you have sailed on cater to such a crowd. That is why they:

- Don't care if you run (especially if you are late returning to the ship :-)

- Play music, show movies, encourage dancing, appreciate cheering, etc, in public areas

- Sell as much alcohol as people are willing to buy

- Ignore chair hogging (I will admit I don't like chair hogs but I don't whine about it and let it ruin my cruise)

- Allow the use of two way radios (it's in their FAQ and they even sell them on board) and cell phones

- Have buffets on all their ships

- Encourage group activities

- Allow smoking with reasonable restrictions

- Love kids and have programs, activities and food specifically tailored to them

- Have suggested guidelines for dining room attire, not iron clad rules

- Don't really care if you walk around the ship in your bathrobe

- Don't mind at all if you draw attention to yourself

Perhaps you should be looking at different cruise lines or maybe a different type of vacation.

So people who don't comply with the above are part of the "I paid good money for this cruise so I'll do whatever I want crowd"? Talk about an egotistical and entitled brain. Well I have some news for you. The cruise lines you have sailed on cater to such a crowd. That is why they:

- Don't care if you run (especially if you are late returning to the ship :-)

- Play music, show movies, encourage dancing, appreciate cheering, etc, in public areas

- Sell as much alcohol as people are willing to buy

- Ignore chair hogging (I will admit I don't like chair hogs but I don't whine about it and let it ruin my cruise)

- Allow the use of two way radios (it's in their FAQ and they even sell them on board) and cell phones

- Have buffets on all their ships

- Encourage group activities

- Allow smoking with reasonable restrictions

- Love kids and have programs, activities and food specifically tailored to them

- Have suggested guidelines for dining room attire, not iron clad rules

- Don't really care if you walk around the ship in your bathrobe

- Don't mind at all if you draw attention to yourself

Perhaps you should be looking at different cruise lines or maybe a different type of vacation.

I was saying that we don't do all those things, not that I've got a problem with all of them--although I think many fall into the "borrish behavior" category.

And if you'll notice, we are moving to a cruise line that has a different demographic that we think is a better fit. We are taking a final cruise on DCL because it was paid for long ago and is non-refundable, but after taht, the closest thing to "mass-market we'll ever be on again is Regent.

I was saying that we don't do all those things, not that I've got a problem with all of them--although I think many fall into the "borrish behavior" category.

And if you'll notice, we are moving to a cruise line that has a different demographic that we think is a better fit. We are taking a final cruise on DCL because it was paid for long ago and is non-refundable, but after taht, the closest thing to "mass-market we'll ever be on again is Regent.

Well hopefully you will not run into what you consider to be boorish behavior on your future cruises :rolleyes:. Just keep in mind that whenever you are with a large group of people you are bound to experience behavior that you may not agree with. Especially if you have an intolerant personality. The key is to not let it bother you.

I have traveled on 8 cruises with 3 kids. My attitude has always been that if you can't trust the kids while they are away from you and you have to check with them with walkie talkies, maybe the kids should not be left alone or maybe the parents are not yet prepared to leave the kids alone. Ditch the walkie talkies and spend some time with your kids. It will make the other cruisers a lot happier.

Archived