Oceania or Silversea

cinbeach

I would say Oceania is more comparible to Silverseas now, as I feel the standards in service and food quality have gone down on Silversea massively in recent years.

I would certainly choose a stay in a PH or above on Oceania over Silversea any day.

However, I dont think that it is quite as good service and food wise as Seabourn but if you dine in specialtiy restaurants all of the time, and you buy an unlimited drinks package you are coming closer

Remember, Oceania is a premium line and SB and SS are classed as luxury lines, so really it is difficult as you arent comparing like with like.

Have you actually been on an Oceania ship?

?????

Stan and Jim, maybe if you read the whole thread??

I did read the whole thread, but I thought that it was odd that you chose to respond to the innocuous post by Travelcat rather than the scathing post by LaCroisiereS'amuse (see post # 19).

Why would you ask that question? As I read Tillylovesseabourn's comments it certainly seems as if she knows Oceania quite well.

Mura

Only because according to the cruises she listed she doesn't appear to have been on an Oceania cruise in the last fifteen years!

Hermione, if i listed all of the cruises i went on unfortunately there would not have been enough room on my signature!

It is my belief that one cannot properly comment upon these matters unless one has been on all of the lines being discussed.

Just curious then - on what Oceania ship did you sail last? What itinerary?

I did read the whole thread, but I thought that it was odd that you chose to respond to the innocuous post by Travelcat rather than the scathing post by LaCroisiereS'amuse (see post # 19).

Hmmm....I've re-read my post, and whilst it suffered as a result of my fatigue after a gruelling 6 day working week and an over zealous auto correct feature on this tablet I wouldn't say my comments were scathing at all.

I did say that SS food went as far as passable.....There is one exception to this, the food and service in Seishin on Silver Spirit was excellent, and beats Red Ginger any day.....and I loved the fact that they opened for lunch.

The overall experience on Spirit this spring was not enough to get me back, and I still maintain that, whilst they were quite magical a decade ago, they are now playing catch up with a lower budget, and a complacent attitude.

O, on the other hand, had a solid start and built on it ever since, and are probably one of the most innovative and customer focused lines out there.

Sorry Travelcat, you misinterpret me.

My bad, i should have been clearer, i think that SS is now into premium territory, service wise. I do think, Oceania with the perks i mentioned is to be considered, but i dont think it is quite luxury territory, but it does not market and price itself as such, and is a very ,very good quality product.

Thanks for the clarification:) We have not been on Silversea for two years and it does sound as if it is going downhill a bit. Sorry that our comments caused posters to get upset. Sometimes I forget how lightly one must tread on these boards.

Travelcat, i agree on the lightly treading issue, i am waiting to be asked details of my oceania club number etc to actually provide proof that i have been on Oceania? Why would you even make it up??:confused:

Anyway with Silversea, all seems to have gone a bit off course since the food standards agency or at least the american equivalent, busted SS for lack of cleanliness and storing cheeses and cured meats in one of the unused suites!!:eek:

It has been downhill from there, LaCroisiere is right they are on the back foot and playing catch up.

Edited by Tillylovesseabourn

Well, not everyone has the same opinion of course.

Personally I would rate SS above Oceania in practically all aspects, although I do enjoy O and have done cruises on Nautica, Marina and Riviera ( in case anyone asks! ) :D

I have two more O cruises booked and will be booking another SS cruise on the new SS ship Silver Muse.

My favourite SS ship is Silver Spirit, followed closely by Silver Cloud. The SS entertainment is better, CD's certainly are and food is easily comparable and mostly better on SS. O mainly does the same old, same old itineraries but SS are innovative in the ports visited and also usually stay longer in a port too. Accommodation is similar I suppose.

I know I will be flamed by the O cheerleaders but this is my opinion. I enjoy both O and SS but in my opinion anyway, we are not comparing apples with apples here.