Question for Paulchili

caribbeansun

I believe I read that you stayed at the Sheraton in Stockholm on *points - did you upgrade your room, upgrade to a suite or is the standard room sufficient?

I did stay there but not for points.

They had a promotional rate that included Visit Stockholm card (3 day card for 3 day stay). I don't remember the rate, but it was good (this was in 2006). We had a "water" view room (front facing) - very nice.

Very good hotel in excellent location - close to City Hall, Gamla Stan, new city center, transportation, boats. CintiPam stayed there as well.

Very good hotel in excellent location - close to City Hall, Gamla Stan, new city center, transportation, boats. CintiPam stayed there as well.

We stayed at the Sheraton Stockholme (on a land trip) for four days in 1999. It is nice and barely a block away from that walking shopping street and onward to down town.

Alterantively, the Sergi Plaza hotel (right on that street, perhaps changed name since) also looked very good.

We just stayed at the Sheraton Stockholm (June2011) for points. Our room was on the top floor with a balcony (floor 8 I believe) over looking Glama Stan, water etc. a beautiful view. The breakfast was very good, had anything you would want, although if you are a continental type breakfast person there's a good bakery cafe at the train station (two blocks away).

As Paul stated, we recently stayed at the Sheraton Stockholm, spending four nights there post-cruise in late June. I requested a quiet room on a high floor and we ended up on the sixth floor, I believe, in a really large room for Europe. It had a nice sitting area near the window, we never heard a sound from the hall or any other rooms, the air conditioning was top-notch, the bedding was fabulous, the room was immaculate and kept very clean, and the concierge staff was very helpful. I also enjoyed the six free computers in the lobby. The location is excellent and very convenient for sightseeing.

My only minor issue: breakfast cost about $39 per person, so we ate at the coffee shop/bakeries near by, although we would have preferred the convenience of breakfast at our hotel, which always has been included in any other places we have stayed in Europe. But the room rate was excellent for a very expensive part of the world, and we were very satisfied with our stay.

We prefer much smaller local hotels on our travels in Europe, so I did not know what to expect, but took Paul's suggestion to stay at the Sheraton because good a/c was a top priority for me after a horrendous stay in a few places in this part of the world on a land trip four years ago. We were very happy with our decision. Thanks again, Paul.

Thanks for the responses.

Just trying to "do the math" in order to maximize our stays. The frustrating part is *wood has C&P at the Stockholm property on every day except the last day, strangely the C&P for the last day only becomes available if we go in a day earlier (but no other time):confused:

I haven't booked a C&P previously as one of Paul's previous posts talked about using them to get higher point vales for rooms (might have been JimandStan that posted that factoid).

We are going to drain the *wood account with a one week jr suite in Paris so trying to finesse the usage. I've been digging deep at FT on this point.

Cheers!

I haven't booked a C&P previously as one of Paul's previous posts talked about using them to get higher point vales for rooms (might have been JimandStan that posted that factoid).

It wasn't me - maybe J&S. I tend to convert most of my *wood points to AA miles @ 1:1.25 ratio as getting AA miles for business awards is always a priority for us. I have used C&P rewards before though and they tend to be a good value.

SPG Amex now has a good promotion - 30K point for a lower spend. This is available in both personal and business cards. If only one of you has the card maybe the other can apply (or get a business card/or both - no business needed, just sole proprietorship). See FT Miles Buzz about this - I just did this myself.

Just a note on an alternative in Stockholm if you decide to use the Starwood points elsewhere...or for anyone else reading this thread and looking at Stockholm hotels in general...

When we did a several night pre-cruise in Stockhlom in 2008, we chose to stay at the Hilton...

The Hilton is located in Slussen--on the other side of the Gamla Stan from Downtown (where the Sheraton is)...The neighborhood is a little quieter, less traffic...and not far from the cruise ship docks at Stadsgården...

There is a Tunelboro (Subway) station right across the square that is a hub, but FAR less crowded and hectic than the train station/Tunelboro station downtown near the Sheraton...

It is a very short and easy walk across a small bridge into the heart of the Gamla Stan...

A short walk...or a couple of easy stops on the Tunelboro...in the other direction lands one in the Södermalm...an upscale shopping area with lots of restaurants...

And there are a number of places to eat right around the Hilton itself...

The only drawback is that, by American standards, our room was a bit small...but it was very clean and modern...with a large screen flat TV and more...

Also, I strongly recommend that, if you are in Stockholm for several days, to get a "Stockholm Card"...We found it more that worth its cost as we used it for all of the transportation systems...Tunelboro, bus and even the boat to the Vasa Museum...to get both around the city and outside the city to the palace at Drottningholm...and it includes admissions to most museums, palaces, etc...and, you don't wait in lines to purchase tickets at the Tunelboro stations, just flash your card and enter...

Like almost all Canadian cards Amex promo is worse for us - only 20k and you have to pay the annual fee of $120. Previously did get DW a card for 15k, canceled, reupped for another Amex. Maybe I can "refer" myself and DW for another 10k bonus.

Gets a bit tedious with all the messing around.

I also convert *points over to Aeroplan (aka Errorplan) as well at the 1:1.25 ratio.

It wasn't me - maybe J&S. I tend to convert most of my *wood points to AA miles @ 1:1.25 ratio as getting AA miles for business awards is always a priority for us. I have used C&P rewards before though and they tend to be a good value.

SPG Amex now has a good promotion - 30K point for a lower spend. This is available in both personal and business cards. If only one of you has the card maybe the other can apply (or get a business card/or both - no business needed, just sole proprietorship). See FT Miles Buzz about this - I just did this myself.

Just a note on an alternative in Stockholm if you decide to use the Starwood points elsewhere...or for anyone else reading this thread and looking at Stockholm hotels in general...

When we did a several night pre-cruise in Stockhlom in 2008, we chose to stay at the Hilton...

The Hilton is located in Slussen--on the other side of the Gamla Stan from Downtown (where the Sheraton is)...The neighborhood is a little quieter, less traffic...and not far from the cruise ship docks at Stadsgården...

There is a Tunelboro (Subway) station right across the square that is a hub, but FAR less crowded and hectic than the train station/Tunelboro station downtown near the Sheraton...

It is a very short and easy walk across a small bridge into the heart of the Gamla Stan...

A short walk...or a couple of easy stops on the Tunelboro...in the other direction lands one in the Södermalm...an upscale shopping area with lots of restaurants...

And there are a number of places to eat right around the Hilton itself...

The only drawback is that, by American standards, our room was a bit small...but it was very clean and modern...with a large screen flat TV and more...

Also, I strongly recommend that, if you are in Stockholm for several days, to get a "Stockholm Card"...We found it more that worth its cost as we used it for all of the transportation systems...Tunelboro, bus and even the boat to the Vasa Museum...to get both around the city and outside the city to the palace at Drottningholm...and it includes admissions to most museums, palaces, etc...and, you don't wait in lines to purchase tickets at the Tunelboro stations, just flash your card and enter...

We too stayed at the Hilton and loved the area and purchased the Stockholm card which we used all over. We tend to get lost when we take busses (which is fun actually), so we just ride all over the place. If you cross the street from the Hilton, past the Tunnelbana, head up the hill about 1/4 mile there is a wonderful view of the city and the Grone Lund (amusement park). There is a lovely cafe with good coffee and pastries. We also took a boat ride around the city seeing living quarters, bathers on the rocks, boaters etc.

It was hot when we were there (Jul 09) and temps were in the high nineties. Stockholm is a wonderful city. Enjoy!!

Archived