Questions RCL Grandeur - October

Assistance, Tips, Tricks needed.:confused:

First of thanks to all who can help this lost newbie!

This Fall (October) My new bride and I will be sailing out of Baltimore to Bermuda on Grandeur of the Sea.

I have booked a JS on the STBD side deck 8 mid ships (I believe in the Hump area). I have raced this route several times on Grandprix sailboats and wanted to share the experience in a more laidback mode with my best friend (yes I mean my bride). Have some questions ...

Questions:

1. Is the suite a good one? - an upgrade is available, but the balcony suite seemed perfect, comments or photos appreciated.

2. I know it can be a bit cooler in the fall but that is good for the two of us - but will the weather impact the use of the pools etc?

3. Are there any perks for on RCL for JS members?

4. In Bermuda - what to see and what to avoid - I must confess after a 3-5 day ocean race most of my time on the island has been slightly colored by alcohol (got to love those Dark and Stormy, among other things).:D

5. What night is formal night?

6. Ship impressions, port impressions, and activities shipboard not to miss ....

Other tips or ideas would be appreciated (since I may not know what to ask).

Again thanks for your help ...........

I can answer a couple of your questions about the ship, we have not sailed the Bermuda route. There is no "hump" on Grandeur or any of the Vision class ships, but the junior suites anywhere on the ships are very nice. Junior Suites get priority embarkation, bathrobes for use onboard, nicer toiletries and a tub.

Swimming, there is a solarium with pool and hot tubs to use during inclement weather. :)

We really liked Grandeur, the Vision class is our favorite, so far, of the various classes. They are easy to find your way around on, and of a good size. We sailed out of New Orleans in Apr. 03, also in a JS, mid-ship, near the elevators. It's a great location. I think it was one of the nicest cabins we've had, roomy, and nicely designed. Except for the annoying metal pole, that was at the end of the bed in our particular room. Crew and food vary from ship to ship and over time. You will have a great cruise! Especially with it being your honeymoon, a great way to relax and be pampered.

We have sailed on all of RCL's various classes of ships, except for Voyager class. We are looking forward to trying that on Mariner next October. :)

We have been on the Grandeur 3X's, and she was my favorite ship until I sailed the Serenade. The Grandeur is a wonderful ship, I would sail her again in a heart beat. I like her because of the size and the ease of getting around. The ship is in great condition and hae never had any complaints.

Bermuda in October is according to the locals, too cool to swim. When we were there in Oct 03 (on the Grandeur), it was very nice weather, but not pool weather. Walking around, I thought it was a little warm but I wasn't going swimming, so I can't say how that would be, only what we heard in discussins with our cab driver. BTW, when you get off at Kings Wharf, don't take a cab, take the water shuttle, it is less expensive, gets you around and it is quicker.

Enjoy

One thing you must also keep in mind, October is still within hurricane season. It's heading toward the end of the season but you just never know what the weather is going to do. There have been southbound sailings out of Baltimore that ended up being deverted north to avoid bad weather. I don't want to scare you, just want you to be informed. The weather at that time of year can also affect the ship's arrival time in Baltimore. Sometimes causing delays for debarkation/embarkation. So keep an eye on the weather. Hopefully it will be a quiet fall season.

When are you getting married?

Yes, I remember that annoying pole on Enchantment...banged my noggin on it a couple of times...is this silly pole in all junior suites on Grandeur, Enchantment and like ships....I forget our cabin number...but it is mid ship, I think...

We are cruising April 9th out of New Orleans...getting very excited!

Nanny Jan

Regarding the pole, we were in 4 or 5 different Junior Suites on that sailing of Grandeur. Our cabin was the only one that had it, and it was the first thing others commented on when they came to our room. I don't remember our stateroom number either. No biggie, it was just annoying, and after a few days you get used to it. :D

We had a JS on Grandeur #8556 a few years ago--our favorite cabin of all our dozen plus cruises. It was also our only JS--we were blessed by the upgrade fairy after 9-11. The Grandeur and Vision class ships in general are my favorites--lots of light and glass and airiness(is that a word?). Also, no pole in our JS. I think you will love it. Have fun!!

Archived