Walking Tour in Ketchikan

HiMagicFan

We walked the vast majority of it on July 5. The route map says to allow 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours. We walked to and went through the Totem Heritage Center ($5 pp admission), then walked back towards the pier, via Married Man Trail and Creek Street. We spent about 1-1/4 hours, since we needed to be back for a 2 PM departure, and we'd done the Misty Fjords floatplane tour earlier in the morning, and had had lunch on board our ship.

• 5 months later...
I have my "own" walking tour of Ketchikan, and walked a great deal of it. A couple hours can offer a very nice variety of attractions.

Could you tell us some of the highlights on your walking tour? We're thinking of doing a similiar "on our own" activity, and would love some hints.

Thanks...

Where did you get the map??? is that something I can request in advance of the trip?

We walked the vast majority of it on July 5. The route map says to allow 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours. We walked to and went through the Totem Heritage Center ($5 pp admission), then walked back towards the pier, via Married Man Trail and Creek Street. We spent about 1-1/4 hours, since we needed to be back for a 2 PM departure, and we'd done the Misty Fjords floatplane tour earlier in the morning, and had had lunch on board our ship.

Where did you get the map??? is that something I can request in advance of the trip?

Here is a site which has two maps which you can download. Not sure if they are the same as were previously mentioned, but they seem to provide good info.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/ketchikan-walking-tour.html

On the pier there is a small tourist office that offer free maps.

We may decide not to book any activity for Ketchikan, but if we change our mind once we arrive, are there people waiting on the docks who offer tours and activities?

We may decide not to book any activity for Ketchikan, but if we change our mind once we arrive, are there people waiting on the docks who offer tours and activities?
Go inside the Visitors Bureau building where the ships dock. You'll find all sorts of people setting up tours there.

The Mr. & I have a similar plan for our July 3, 2012 stop Ketchikan. We'll be doing the Misty Fjords Floatplane with Island Wings. I'm allowing 2.5 hours total for that excursion. After that I'd like to walk around Ketchikan and 'soak up the local flavor', shop, etc. We'll also want to enjoy a 'local's lunch'. (Recommendations welcome! :)) The STAR departs @ 2:00, so I'm thinking we'll have to be back no later than 1:30 (or should we be back by 1:00?) BUT we will make the most of our opportunity!!

There are a lot of tour vendors available at the dock visitor center. IF you want to pick up any flightseeing, this is really the only recommended port that has a good supply of walk up space.

But, if flightseeing is your interest, then I suggest you get off your ship right after it clears, so you have the best selection. I have picked up a couple bear tours- discounted- sitting right next to the cruise shore excursion people. :) Best reason for me, doing this, as I get the sighting stats the day before and previous trends.

There are a lot of tour vendors available at the dock visitor center. IF you want to pick up any flightseeing, this is really the only recommended port that has a good supply of walk up space.

But, if flightseeing is your interest, then I suggest you get off your ship right after it clears, so you have the best selection. I have picked up a couple bear tours- discounted- sitting right next to the cruise shore excursion people. :) Best reason for me, doing this, as I get the sighting stats the day before and previous trends.

Budget Queen,

Thanks for the advice. Did I read this correctly, in that you can find information about bear sightings around Ketchikan on the previous day? If so, is that information available online, or through some other source?

Budget Queen,

Thanks for the advice. Did I read this correctly, in that you can find information about bear sightings around Ketchikan on the previous day? If so, is that information available online, or through some other source?

No, it isn't available online. I simply ask what they have been seeing????

Archived