Is my Roll Call DOA or is it normal?

jdcml

Just looking for some additional roll call input. Our last cruise was about 5 years ago and we didn't really participate because we had pretty young kids. This go around we were hoping to get some things organized but haven't had much luck. With 60 days to go our chatter seems to be a little whisper at best.

We have tried a few times to organize a meet and greet, cabin crawl, and a slot pull but can't seem to pull it off. Are we still a little too early or are chances good it isn't going to happen? How far in advance do these normally get set up on roll calls?

I can understand how roll calls will differ and some people participate and others don't want anything to do with it. Any of those options are fine with me, just wondering if we still had any hope of pulling it together.

Wow... I find that just a bit odd as well. When I started reading your post I thought that you guys might be on a short cruise... those roll calls are seldom very active... but y'all are on the Dream!

I have no idea how to drum up more action on the roll call but if you need some help with a Meet & Mingle for your folks let me know. I can help.

:)

Just looking for some additional roll call input. Our last cruise was about 5 years ago and we didn't really participate because we had pretty young kids. This go around we were hoping to get some things organized but haven't had much luck. With 60 days to go our chatter seems to be a little whisper at best.

We have tried a few times to organize a meet and greet, cabin crawl, and a slot pull but can't seem to pull it off. Are we still a little too early or are chances good it isn't going to happen? How far in advance do these normally get set up on roll calls?

I can understand how roll calls will differ and some people participate and others don't want anything to do with it. Any of those options are fine with me, just wondering if we still had any hope of pulling it together.

Some are great and others are not. We are on the Dream in 74 days and our roll call is pretty quiet too. Last year oon the Dream, our roll call had well over 1000 posts. Keep trying though.

I have two Oasis roll calls coming up and dead dead dead .. and boring.

I just signed up for Triumph on 11/7 and that one is hoping and so friendly... feel like its a home coming to go out of galveston among friends.

Just never can tell.

Are roll call is ok, but we created a facebook group and that has about 70 people on it and we seem to chat there a lot. Some topics you might want to try: where is everyone from? Also we get a lot of chatter talking about excursions.

Good Luck!

I think I found the problem. There is another rollcall which is very active:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1334769

Well - without naming names, yah, that's the one actually. We've had a decent number of posts but still seem to be having a hard time getting stuff squared away. It is probably just the over planner in me and it will all come together with time!

I was on the Dream 4/30/2011 same ports, we had about 25 active members which totalled about 50 people. I set up the cabin crawl and Meet and greet. It took me until about 4 weeks out before I got all the room host signed up. I made a post each week asking for Cabin Crawl Host. I have never had a slot pull! For the Meet & Greet- contact John Heald on Facebook about 2 weeks out, and he will set it up for you - just tell him the date and time you want! Julie G.

I try to keep our Paradise Roll Call going but it seems to be "dead in the water" too! I guess it depends on the mix & trying to drum up a conversation that people want to participate in!:D

The Paradise (& soon, the Inspiration) roll calls are pretty quiet. Mainly because these are only 3 & 4 day cruises. I find the closer you are to the sail date, some more people might join the roll call.

I set up the cabin crawl and Meet and greet. It took me until about 4 weeks out before I got all the room host signed up. I made a post each week asking for Cabin Crawl Host.

We've never done a cabin crawl before and I think that is the one thing I am looking forward to the most. I'll keep priming the pump to see what comes of it. I'll go back and do some research on different themes and things and try to lay it all out. We've had people kind of check in and out with interest but maybe setting something up from A-Z will keep it alive.

I seem to remember that we have an aft wrap and a suite on our roll call - both locations I am hopeful will be willing to host :D

We've never done a cabin crawl before and I think that is the one thing I am looking forward to the most. I'll keep priming the pump to see what comes of it. I'll go back and do some research on different themes and things and try to lay it all out. We've had people kind of check in and out with interest but maybe setting something up from A-Z will keep it alive.

I seem to remember that we have an aft wrap and a suite on our roll call - both locations I am hopeful will be willing to host :D

You might want to try a poker cabin crawl. Not only do folks get to see a variety of cabins but they have a chance to win a few bucks! We use five bucks as the entry fee. You pick up a card (and often a shot...) at each cabin. Typically, you need seven or more cabins. At the end of the crawl you build the best hand with five of your seven (or eight... or nine...) cards and the best hand wins the cash! Always lots of fun and generates some excitement on the roll call...

There have been a few trickles on our September cruise..but it is only a 5 day... I talk to myself, mostly. Did that on my last 4 day roll call, but managed to make friends with the 2 other participating members, and we met for drinks before dinner, and had a table for 5 at dinner every night! We had a really good time!

We leave on the Miracle tomorrow and have had a great roll call. There is a meet and greet, a cocktail party scheduled, and a slot tournament. Two of us are renting the Private Oasis on HMC and 6 others have cabanas. We are also hooking up our kids so they can meet. Give it time and it may come together.

We leave on the Miracle tomorrow and have had a great roll call. There is a meet and greet, a cocktail party scheduled, and a slot tournament. Two of us are renting the Private Oasis on HMC and 6 others have cabanas. We are also hooking up our kids so they can meet. Give it time and it may come together.

For some reason ( best ship ever? best itinerary ever?) Miracle roll calls are magic! I'm cruising on 9/4..and I;ve got to tell ya' :p..worst roll call ever! Check it out...no joke...these people just don't know how to engage :D. My 4/20/2012 roll call is WAY better than the one leaving next month. Maybe because it's NCL :eek:. ( Had to use a cruise certificate darn it LOL)

Not a single person welcomed me to the Roll call...not a single person has engaged me directly. I feel like a leper. They have 60 people thusfar for the Meet N Greet.....I have no idea what for ???? No one seems to want to talk to anyone else!!!

For some reason ( best ship ever? best itinerary ever?) Miracle roll calls are magic! I'm cruising on 9/4..and I;ve got to tell ya' :p..worst roll call ever! Check it out...no joke...these people just don't know how to engage :D. My 4/20/2012 roll call is WAY better than the one leaving next month. Maybe because it's NCL :eek:. ( Had to use a cruise certificate darn it LOL)

Not a single person welcomed me to the Roll call...not a single person has engaged me directly. I feel like a leper.

See... ya' need to cruise with the Crazies! We have an amazing time and everyone is family!

:D

It is strange. We have had very active ones and ones where we set up a meet and greet and nobody shows up.

For our next one in Sept we have a very active one of over 100 people already. For the one after that in Jan very very quiet so who knows.

I am sailing on the Dream on 9/10/11, and our Roll Call is awesome! Of course, the core group sailed together on a few cruises already, which helped with the activity level...but quite a few more have joined in and have really added to the fun. We have quite a bit of posting chatter every day, and I love how it just helps everyone to get to know each other even before we step on-board the ship.

We have lots of fun scheduled, including a pre-cruise party, a cabin crawl/poker run, a private cocktail party, a catamaran sail, and a slot pull just to name a few. In between, with the 3 days at sea, there is plenty oif time to just sit back and relax. The key is that some will do all, some will do a little...but all will have fun!

Don't give up on your Roll Call. Meet the ones who are posting, and who knows - your small group may one day grow into a larger group that cruises together every year or so!

My roll call is dead also!! We have 90 more days to get it going!! I hope it picks up soon:) At least it helps pass the time when you can talk to other people!!

As I metioned on the previous page, if any of y'all would like to do a Meet & Mingle just drop me an email and I'll be glad to get one set up for you!

I started a roll call for one of our cruises. It was slow at first, then picked up about two or three months before the cruise. They all decided they wanted to meet right after the muster when most people wanted to just watch the sail-away. Then they decided on a cabin crawl. Most weren't too hot on the idea of strangers coming into their cabin. Then a pub crawl on Sunday morning at 10 am. Needless to say, most never showed up for any of it, including us.

We had one where three families showed up. One couple was a royal pain. He did nothing but complain through the whole cruise and tried constantly to stir up trouble. (The ship had engine problems and he kept stirring up the crowd even though we all knew it wasn't the fault of the cruise line. They fixed the problem and the next cruise went without a hitch.)

Some people love them. Some don't. The best one we went to was where we all met at 2:00 pm on the first sea day. We all introduced ourselves, had a drink, got a picture taken and never saw each other again other than running into each other once in a while.

Before I get blasted, let me say that we are not anti-social. We do enjoy meeting people but we don't want to be attached to them for the rest of the cruise nor become "instant friends" that you can't shake if you don't hit it off.

Archived