Replacing personal items on board

luxurysailer

All ships just stock the very basics and not a very good selection.

I have always thought that ships would do well to have a small drug store with a selection of personal/basic items at reasonable prices. If people knew these things were available onboard I think they would buy quite a lot of things - possibly more than some of the things currently in the shops.

Whenever we cruise, we always buy all our toiletries etc at the departure port. I would definitely pay a bit more to buy things as I go onboard.

With a TA cruise or any other cruise with lots of sea days you are a bit stuck if you run out of some essentials.

On my recent Eurodam cruise, I needed something for a cough and we were on a sea day so I had to use the ship's store. A stick of Hall's cherry cough drops was $4.99 and a bottle of Vick's DM cough syrup was something like $17.99.

They had a number of items but only one brand of any item (such as just one brand of toothpaste). Very similar to a small space of similar items at a hotel gift shop. You might have to ask where to find these items - they are not front and center. I suspect the more prominent spaces are reserved for items with an even higher profit margin.

As you can see, the prices are sky high. I know this doesn't bother some people but I hate to pay prices like that. Only you can decide for yourself if the convienence is worth the price.

As we were flying from Toronto to Amsterdam and the ship departed from Rotterdam, I suspect it was the customs people here or in Amsterdam.

Was the hairspray taken out of your checked luggage? Was it an aerosol can? I don't know about rules for Canada or Holland, but our TSA says no aerosols in checked or carry on "except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities." Maybe "limited quantities" means travel size?

Was any note left in your bag? We've had checked bags opened for a routine search and a note was placed in the bag stating this. Nothing was ever removed.

Another option for buying personal items if you're flying is a drug store at the airport. Also inflated prices, but a better selection than on board.

Was the hairspray taken out of your checked luggage? Was it an aerosol can? I don't know about rules for Canada or Holland, but our TSA says no aerosols in checked or carry on "except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities." Maybe "limited quantities" means travel size?

Was any note left in your bag? We've had checked bags opened for a routine search and a note was placed in the bag stating this. Nothing was ever removed.

Another option for buying personal items if you're flying is a drug store at the airport. Also inflated prices, but a better selection than on board.

It was in a plastic pump bottle. The one I bought on board the Rotterdam ship made it home okay. Same place in the suitcase. No note was left. It was definitely in the checked baggage (29 inch suitcase).

It was in a plastic pump bottle. The one I bought on board the Rotterdam ship made it home okay. Same place in the suitcase. No note was left. It was definitely in the checked baggage (29 inch suitcase).

Well, I would suggest that your hairspray was removed because it was not in an "original" container! Rather, I would assume, it was being transported in a generic, unlabelled container! ;) It is the same for medications! They are also to be packed/transported in their "original" labelled containers! :)

Well, I would suggest that your hairspray was removed because it was not in an "original" container! Rather, I would assume, it was being transported in a generic, unlabelled container! ;) It is the same for medications! They are also to be packed/transported in their "original" labelled containers! :)

Can you fill your own pump bottle with hairspray? You can buy some hairsprays in pump (non-aerosol bottles). If this was on original pump-spray bottle, I can't imagine why it was confiscated. Maybe the bag was opened and checked by security and the bottle fell out? I often wonder how much stuff gets lost that way.

On my recent Eurodam cruise, I needed something for a cough and we were on a sea day so I had to use the ship's store. A stick of Hall's cherry cough drops was $4.99 and a bottle of Vick's DM cough syrup was something like $17.99.

They had a number of items but only one brand of any item (such as just one brand of toothpaste). Very similar to a small space of similar items at a hotel gift shop. You might have to ask where to find these items - they are not front and center. I suspect the more prominent spaces are reserved for items with an even higher profit margin.

As you can see, the prices are sky high. I know this doesn't bother some people but I hate to pay prices like that. Only you can decide for yourself if the convienence is worth the price.

We discovered that some OTC medications are also available from the Medical Center. Cough medicine was available, but I don't know the brand or price. Ibuprofen was cheaper from the medical center than from the ship store, while aspirin, 'Sea Calm' and generic Tylenol were free.

If you go to Target you can find small samples of almost everything. It's easier to bring a few tubes of sample toothpaste rather than a regular size. Also, deodorant, hairspray, etc. It's worth checking out.

Before our cruises I buy small sizes of various items at

http://www.minimus.biz/ since the small sizes take up much less room.

On my recent Eurodam cruise, I needed something for a cough and we were on a sea day so I had to use the ship's store. A stick of Hall's cherry cough drops was $4.99 and a bottle of Vick's DM cough syrup was something like $17.99. ... .

This is why, after our first cruise, I made our own first aid kit in a soft side shaving kit. I put in things like cold pills, cough drops, cough syrup, Imodium, Alka Seltzer, bandaids, ginger capsules, Bonine, Peptobismol, and other OTC items we might need. It has saved us time and major money over the years of cruising we've done.

... It is the same for medications! They are also to be packed/transported in their "original" labelled containers! :)

Actually, meds do NOT have to be in their orginal labelled containers.

The TSA site even says that. I carry a printout of the TSA page with us if there is a question since hubby's meds are in daily packets in small baggies I purchase from the SciPlus site. We've never had a problem.

I do carry a copy of the Rx but we've never been asked about the meds.

Here's TSA reference:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1374.shtm#4

Scroll down to medications and you'll find these two sentences:

We do not require that your medications be labeled.

Medications in daily dosage containers are allowed through the checkpoint once they have been screened.

Can you fill your own pump bottle with hairspray? You can buy some hairsprays in pump (non-aerosol bottles). If this was on original pump-spray bottle, I can't imagine why it was confiscated. Maybe the bag was opened and checked by security and the bottle fell out? I often wonder how much stuff gets lost that way.
Yes. You can fill your own bottles and jars with hairspray, shampoo, lotions, creams, sunblock, mouthwash, insect repellent, cosmetics, or just about anything else that people take with them on trips.

We do it all the time to avoid needing to bring large, heavy bottles or jars on trips with more of any product than we will need. We transfer small amounts of the products to travel-sized bottles and jars. We also save small sample sizes of toothpaste and dental floss that we get from the dentist's office to take along on trips.

The products we will need in transit go with us in the TSA ziplock bag and the rest go in the checked luggage, inside double plastic bags to prevent worry about leaks.

Have been traveling like this for years and never had a problem or had anything confiscated. That is why I was wondering about someone's hairspray being confiscated by customs. Unless there was something unusual about it, it could be that someone just pulled it out during a routine inspection and forgot to put it back.

I would guess no, you cannot fill your own pump bottle with hairspray! :)

There have been several comments about TSA rules. However, we need to bear in mind that when traveling internationally, different rules may well apply in different countries.

I had some items confiscated by the Australian equivalent of TSA in Sydney about five or six years ago. The question was asked, "Do you have anything not in its original container?" An honest answer resulted in my contact lens solution and after shave lotion being confiscated, and one of our traveling companions had a couple of things confiscated.

I've never had any problem in the U.S. with items not being in their original containers, but I do label all such containers.

There have been several comments about TSA rules. However, we need to bear in mind that when traveling internationally, different rules may well apply in different countries.

I had some items confiscated by the Australian equivalent of TSA in Sydney about five or six years ago. The question was asked, "Do you have anything not in its original container?" An honest answer resulted in my contact lens solution and after shave lotion being confiscated, and one of our traveling companions had a couple of things confiscated.

I've never had any problem in the U.S. with items not being in their original containers, but I do label all such containers.

This is so very true. Very wise to keep that in mind when you are travelling internationally.

For example, in Canada, you must carry your medications in the original containers as Geriatric Nurse stated. liquids difficult to determine can be an issue if not in the original container.

Rules are not the same everywhere.;)

It is always a good idea to check the requirements for any country to which you will be traveling, not only for allowable items but for possible visa requirements as well.

For flying in and out of the USA, we follow TSA regulations. "All liquids, gels and aerosols must be in 3.4 ounce (100ml) or smaller containers." There is no mention of any need for original containers. Canadian CATSA requirements are similar.

We have flown in and out of Canada numerous times throughout the past 10 years. None of our bottles or jars have ever been confiscated or even questioned, although none of them were the original containers.

Maybe it is because we have that sweet, innocent look about us. :):D

The only thing we ever had confiscated were some small manicure scissors one time when flying out of Vancouver several years ago. Nobody said a word about the hairspray, or any of the other bottles right there in plain sight.

I have several 3 oz. bottles, including one that is a spray bottle, that I bought at Waltmart. There is a sticker on each bottle that states that it is 3 oz. and meets TSA requirements. I always put my hairspray, shampoo, toner, etc. in these bottles, and put them in the plastic bag that TSA mandates. I have never had anything removed, or even looked at.

Archived