Speedos - Square Cut & Trunks - Oh My!

Mermen

Sorry Michael, but this is double standard, too. And exactly this attitude is what kept me until now from taking a pure gay cruise. I wouldn´t enjoy being on a vacation trip on a ship with guys who wouldn´t enjoy being around me only because I don´t have a colt model body. And no, I am not fat and yes, I do wear speedos. I am a bit tired of guys that try to reduce others to their outer appearances.

Oliver

Oliver, relax. I'm definitely not a worked-out, swimsuit model. I have a bit around the middle myself. But I also have the self-awareness to wear swimming trunks that aren't going to enhance my love handles. I know how I look and how I should present myself. I'm not the type of person who is delusional about my body type, nor do I have a "screw you" attitude in which I walk around looking like crap in front of people. I also have never been on a gay cruise and don't seek out perfect-looking people. My point is that I like to look at attractive people - men and women - and feel that people need to be realistic about their body types. Too many people live in this politically-correct world where they have this whole act like they think obese people should be able to offend everyone with their size. But the truth is everyone likes to see attractive people and there's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't make me shallow. It makes me realistic. Trust me, I wish I was in good enough shape to lounge around in public in a speedo.

Michael

Sorry Michael, but this is double standard, too. And exactly this attitude is what kept me until now from taking a pure gay cruise. I wouldn´t enjoy being on a vacation trip on a ship with guys who wouldn´t enjoy being around me only because I don´t have a colt model body. And no, I am not fat and yes, I do wear speedos. I am a bit tired of guys that try to reduce others to their outer appearances.

Oliver

Oliver, relax. I'm definitely not a worked-out, swimsuit model. I have a bit around the middle myself. But I also have the self-awareness to wear swimming trunks that aren't going to enhance my love handles. I know how I look and how I should present myself. I'm not the type of person who is delusional about my body type, nor do I have a "screw you" attitude in which I walk around looking like crap in front of people. I also have never been on a gay cruise and don't seek out perfect-looking people. My point is that I like to look at attractive people - men and women - and feel that people need to be realistic about their body types. Too many people live in this politically-correct world where they have this whole act like they think obese people should be able to offend everyone with their size. But the truth is everyone likes to see attractive people and there's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't make me shallow. It makes me realistic. Trust me, I wish I was in good enough shape to lounge around in public in a speedo.

Michael

Michael, I agree with you about this. If someone is overweight, that is their business, but be realistic about what you wear. There's a show on TLC called "What not to wear". I'm sure that they would agree and they are the experts.

You'd fit right in on a RSVP cruise :) There are all body types represented and a lot of them are in speedos too (and there is also a clothing optional deck) and the vast majority get along just fine.

Michael, I agree with you about this. If someone is overweight, that is their business, but be realistic about what you wear. There's a show on TLC called "What not to wear". I'm sure that they would agree and they are the experts.

The problem with "What Not To Wear" is that, I'm pretty sure because they are American, they would always say, hands down, that men should never wear speedos. So to say they are the experts might be a bit of a stretch.

"What not to wear" is totally subjective, and different for many people. Sorry for the reference, but in looking at gay videos, how the Hell many sub-categories are there? Mature, young, overweight, Bear, smooth, daddy, jock....you name it, there's something for everyone.

"Everyone enjoys attractive" is not an objective, but a one-size-fits-all statement. What I find attractive, you may not. Hence, making a declaration, "all [fill in the blank] men should not dress like this to look hot." Huh?

Please, Top Guy, they're the experts? That's what kills me about media and reality shows. Reality is in my home, me wearing what I want to wear, looking like a monsieur très sexy may be my defintion by 1/2 of you, while the other 1/2 think I'm a middle-aged, gray man who should only wear board shorts! LOL!! And I don't care...

I'm with an earlier poster, who wears the tight trunks at the pool / solarium but covers up in board shorts to walk around.

If you don't wanna see my moose knuckle, don't be showing me your camel toe!! LOL :p

My boyfriend and I are going on our first cruise next Summer; in the Mediterranean. We fully intend on bringing along square cut trunks. Granted, we also intend on lots of gym time and healthy meals prior to the trip. :D

Michael

I love how you try to dance around the issue yet still come straight out and say you're a sizeist. It's amusing.

• 2 weeks later...

My Partner and I both wear square cut swim suits when we cruise. They are more comfortable and dry faster after getting out of the water. Plus, you can put a pair of shorts over them when going from your stateroom to the pool and vice versa and not have to worry about wearing your dripping swim trunks.

However, I am in the process of losing a few more pounds before our cruise!

My Partner and I both wear square cut swim suits when we cruise. They are more comfortable and dry faster after getting out of the water. Plus, you can put a pair of shorts over them when going from your stateroom to the pool and vice versa and not have to worry about wearing your dripping swim trunks.

However, I am in the process of losing a few more pounds before our cruise!

We're right there with you guys! Seems like a couple months before-hand, we get serious about shedding a couple of pounds too. You're not alone. :)

Update on the Speedo discussion from my trip:

On the Rotterdam I noticed about 8 people in Speedo's. I would say that this trip was 50% European (largely from the Netherlands) and 50% North America. I also note that there were at least 50 gay people but HAL definately swings towards an older clientele so this may not be representative.

2 of them at least were North American (Beachluvr65 and myself.) I also noticed that shorts are finally getting shorter again - the surfer shorts seem to be falling out of vogue and shorts are now above the knee....which IMHO is about time. Nothing weirder than a tan line below the knee (the above observation was also from my land time in Bordeaux and Amsterdam.)

I love this thread. I, for one, really enjoy seeing guys in speedos and gals in bikinis. If I were younger and a lot thinner, I would be right there with you all.

Keep up the good work and make my day....wear those speedos.

I love this thread. I, for one, really enjoy seeing guys in speedos and gals in bikinis. If I were younger and a lot thinner, I would be right there with you all.

Keep up the good work and make my day....wear those speedos.

aaerobear - You don't have to be younger or thinner. Let your freak flag FLY!!!! :p

Interesting responses and I learned what a budgie smuggler is (I had to look it up). Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder of course. I do enjoy seeing what I would term a nice looking man in a budgie smuggler. Personally I wear either my square cut or my boxer type. I don't like nor would I wear board shorts in or out of the pool and all my shorts are 6" to 8" max meaning they fall above my knees. Living down here in the southwest (it was 110F Saturday), one learns to dress cool. The only complaint I have is men who wear a swim suit or clothes that are two sizes too small.

Hey guys, this thread inspired me so much that I went out and bought myself two brand new speedos.:D

One has stripes, so I hope a bit of an optical stretch effect! ;)

After the cruise I will let you know how the speedo/square trunks/surfer shorts-ratio was.

I just hope we won´t be the only FOD on this 29 day cruise next week.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Oliver

17 2011 Princess Cruises - Sea Princess - San Francisco-Sydney

16 2010 HAL - Prinsendam - Athens-Fort Lauderdale

15 2009 HAL - Volendam - Kobe-Vancouver

14 2007 Costa - Costa Europa - Genova-Eastern Mediterrean-Malta(Genova)

13 2006 HAL - Prinsendam - Dover-Norway-Amsterdam

12 2005 Celebrity Cruises - Galaxy - Rome-Galveston

11 2004 HAL - Statendam - San Diego-Hawaii-San Diego

10 2004 Cunard - QE2 - Southampton-New York

9 2003 Princess Cruises - Royal Princess - Fort Lauderdale-Rome

8 2002 Orient Lines - Crown Odyssee - Southampton-Lisbon

7 2002 HAL - Amsterdam - Miami-Carribean-Miami

6 2001 Cunard - QE2 - New York-Southampton

5 2000 NCL - Norwegian Dream - Miami-Santiago de Chile

4 1999 NCL - Norway - Miami-Barcelona

3 1996 Celebrity Cruises - Horizon - Los Angeles-Alaska-Vancouver

2 1995 Orient Lines - Marco Polo - Singapore-Hong Kong

1 1993 Cunard - QE2 - Southampton - New York

Soldham

Its possible we saw each other, but didnt actually meet.

I did go into the hot tub a few times after a long excursion on shore and before going to bed to relax.

So you may have seen me in my blue squarecut in the hot tub.

I also noticed that lots of men at the pool in speedos were Dutch

Your article makes me want to remember to bring several thongs to wear on my next cruise. Shocking people is one way to quickly see who you might not want to befriend.

Women who comment negatively may be 'protecting' their husbands from temptation. heh heh!

:Dhttp://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Archived